Accidentally installed the wrong Oil Filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Kinda an irony here....I went to PepBoys and bought a Purolator PureOne oil filter PL14610. I though I had spec'd it for my Subaru Legacy GT (2008), but apparently it's the right one for my 06 Civic SI.

Anyway....changed my oil and installed it. Realized while installing that the one I removed was a PL14612.

So I threaded the 14610 on and it felt right. I checked Purolator's website and it seems the only difference is in filter height (the 14610 I installed is ~1/2" shorter). Otherwise, relief valve PSI, diameter, etc. seem identical.

Any harm in this? I'm only doing 3500 mile runs during warranty due to Subaru's [censored] 3750 mile OCI schedule. So I'm not too concerned with the filter "clogging up".

I'm running this with an AVO Dry Panel Filter (just cleaned out, so probably has maximal flow and minimal filtering) and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30.

Just trying to get a sanity check here.

Joe

for warranty issues, throw on the right filter prefilled with oil. may save you some major wallet headaches with Mazda if you have a road failure and tow to the shop

save the 14610 and use it on the Honda next time
waste not, want not.

If you had installed a larger filter,I would leave it alone.
Since the filter is smaller than recommended,change it to the correct filter.
Use the filter on your other vehicle.
If the oil is not ready for replacement,just change out the filter.

1/2 inch shorter? Heck, that's never been a problem for me :)

With your short OCIs I really don't see how it would hurt anything. The good news is that you now know that you can use the bigger filter for both rigs from now on, if you want to.

On a short change interval I wouldn't worry about it unless you think that your car may need to be towed to the dealer for something when you won't have a chance to change it before hand. It certainly won't cause an issue in my opinion. I could be wrong however. Of course if it was my car I'd change it out just to be safe. Better safe than sorry.

You know, I thought alot about this. I've had 4 sets of oil through this engine now (OEM, 2500 miles, 5500 miles, 9000 miles)....most of the stock break-in [censored] is probably out. I'm doing short intervals on a high quality oil (pennzoil platinum). The car is being driven for 32 mile each way commutes (so ~65-70 miles per day).

The oil filter seems like it'll work fine. If the car breaks down, I'll find a way to change the filter (I could literally change it with out a phillips head screwdriver without jacking up the car....probably just a paperclip to unscrew the pop-its covering the filter-flap). I'm not worried about such a high quality filter filling up in 3000-3500 miles.

And no one has really given me a good reason outside of what I just named to change it....

So it stays, for now.

Joe

P.s. I love having the ability to pre-fill the filter on my LGT. On my SI, it's not possible.

Worry about your 401k instead and put the right one on next time. Whether that filter fails or the correct one, Subaru isn't going to fix it unless the oil pump relief failed anyway and blew the thing apart. It's on Purolator's nickel.

I have run that filter for 9300 miles on a Honda V6 without issue. It has plenty of capacity.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Worry about your 401k instead and put the right one on next time. Whether that filter fails or the correct one, Subaru isn't going to fix it unless the oil pump relief failed anyway and blew the thing apart. It's on Purolator's nickel.

Yes, but Purolator also states in their fine print that you must be using the filter they recommend for your vehicle in order for the warranty to uphold.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Yes, but Purolator also states in their fine print that you must be using the filter they recommend for your vehicle in order for the warranty to uphold.

Can you link me to it? I can't find it on the PureOil.com site. Much appreciated.

Go to the Wix filter website and look up the specifications for the two filters. Physical size may be the only difference.

For what it is worth, I have a 2007 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L Duratec. The original filter was an FL-910. The manual states the filter replacement part number is FL-400. The two filters are identical except for physical size. My guess is the different sizes are used in cases where a given engine is used in different vehicles and a shorter, longer, narrower, or wider filter is used for clearance purposes.

I'd leave it alone too, and like Gary Allan said worry about the 401K. If you have a problem and need to be towed, change it before hand like you said.

Frank D

My car shares an engine with Corvette for a couple of years. The oil filter for the Corvette is about 1/3 the size of the one on the Camaro but the same in every other way. I wouldn't worry about it unless, as previously stated, there is an issue coming up with the dealer.

The PL14610 has about 1/2" more filter media than the 12, otherwise it's the exact same filter. I (and many others) run the PL14610 on our motorcycles for that exact reason, even though the 14612 is the same size as the OEM. Heck, these filters aren't even listed for motorcycle use, but perform better than the stock ones. No worries at all.

Drew

Originally Posted By: hate2work

1/2 inch shorter? Heck, that's never been a problem for me :)

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back