Once and for all... Amsoil or VW approved 505.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HondaMan
I would do the following while under warranty:

1.) Use an approved oil
2.) Run HALF the suggest drain interval

This is not a blanket statement, this is a VW PD statement.

After warranty, have at it .... read the board over and over, you'll never be able to find an agreed upon answer other than that most feel the interval suggested is too long.

THat's interesting because everything I read on TDIclub says 10k interval is fine. What is shocking is shorter intervals, actually produces higher wear numbers.

Why? I dunno, but 505.01 oils have a tendency to shear down, then thicken back up as soot increases in the oil--- maybe since by keeping oil that is sheared down to a lower viscosity is causing the higher wear numbers.

10k miles is fine for most vehicles. I have ran a handfull of 505.01 oils and did UOA's on most of them. Amsoil performed as good as Elf, Motul, and the OEM Castrol. I actually think Amsoil outperformed them, but to make this fair Amsoil was ran later when wear should be lower. I did have some high wear later on but that was traced to a stuck open EGR Valve. I have since switched to Total/Elf 507, simply because I feel that is the "best" oil available to me for the motor. I would like to get my hands on the M1 507

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back