Power Steering Return - Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how much pressure (typical) power steering fluid would be under in the return line?

It must vary, but judging from the hose and clamp arrangement of most return lines it can't be under the same pressure that exists in the pressure line, and it must be under considerably less pressure.

TIA

Enough pressure to push the fluid to the reservoir and no more. There is essentially no restriction on the fluid flow in the return line, so the pressure is very small.

Actually, the pressure can be fairly high depending on the application. Modern GM systems have a pretty restrictive inlet back into the reservior, and on a cold morning, pressures can exceed 100psi.

I know 'cause I put a gauge on mine. Long story.

It's definitely not under any pressure to speak of on the two Fords I've owned, based on the condition of the return hoses after a few years. They had loose hose clamps (I guess the hose itself needed replacing so I replaced it) with seepage of PS fluid...any pressure and it'd have been spraying out of there.

Also I installed a Magnefine filter in the return on my Saab 93 and there's no restriction at all in the inlet to the resevior based on how quickly the fluid ran out when I removed the hose....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back