02 Olds Intrigue oil filter wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

My wifes car is practically impossible to get the oil filter cap off to change out the filter! It is the canister type and use just a filter media inside it. The problem is the oil filter cap sits flush with the oil pan and there is next to n room between it and the pan. I have gotten it off for previous oil changes but every time I do it I tell myself never again, I am taking it to a garage!!
What do you guys use to take it off? I lube the threads and rubber seal up good everytime I re-assemble but it seem to make very little difference? Is there not something better our there? Thanks in advance..........Irv

The only thing better is a spin-on filter...
LOL.gif

My wifes car is near impossible to get at and remove her oil filter cap(oil filter media inside) It sits flush with the bottom of the pan and there is very little room to get in there and remove the cap. What do you guy's use to remove the cap to get to the filter media? I lube up the threads and rubber seal each time I do it but it makes very little difference the next time I change oil. Any idea what garages use or oil change places? Thanks in advance.......Irv
(p.s. does anyone know of any Old's forum sites that may have this info?)

I had a 00 Olds Intrigue and I know what you are talking about, They make a GM special wrench for that but its plastic too and breaks. The best way to do it and I did it this way the entire time I owned the car with the least amount of fury. Get one of those filter wrenchs that look like a conventional oil filter wrench, but in place of the handle is a 3/8 rachet end, put that on, get a 3/8 extension and rachet and get it off, very important is not to over tighten it, I would snug it up, but not super tight and watch it for leaks and I never had trouble, I think its threads are curved backwards so when it goes up its harder to back-off. Regardless, I think we can both agree that filter sucks. I was talking to a Havoline dealer/manager and they said they had one Olds Intrigue, regular customer, that they couldnt get the filter cap off and havent changed the filter in it in 3 years, makes me think this is one car you want to do your own maintence on.

We have an '01 Intrigue and I know exactly what you're talking about. The filter is easy to replace, you just need a special filter wrench to do it. I'll post a pic of it and the part no. later. Some have used over-the-counter cap style filter wrenches with some success but the special wrench has the properly shaped flutes to fit the filter housing correctly.

Here is a picture of my 2007 Malibu with the 2.2L Ecotec:

I bought the socket in Lowe's for a couple dollars. 1 1/4 inches IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Blokey
We have an '01 Intrigue and I know exactly what you're talking about. The filter is easy to replace, you just need a special filter wrench to do it. I'll post a pic of it and the part no. later. Some have used over-the-counter cap style filter wrenches with some success but the special wrench has the properly shaped flutes to fit the filter housing correctly.

Looking forward to seeing the special filter wrench Blokey, I was getting to the point where I was actually thinking her oil would be good enough until the spring! Thanks for posting up.......Irv

Originally Posted By: RoGuE

Thanks Rogue, your pic, engine looks quite a bit different than my wifes 02 Intrigue?(am I missing something?) for one it is under the car and is completely flush with the pan which makes it very difficult to get anything on it to spin it off. Thanks for posting ......Irv

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: RoGuE

Thanks Rogue, your pic, engine looks quite a bit different than my wifes 02 Intrigue?(am I missing something?) for one it is under the car and is completely flush with the pan which makes it very difficult to get anything on it to spin it off. Thanks for posting ......Irv

indeed, 2 different engines. the 2.2 ecotec is the world's easiest oil change. the 3.5 in the intrigue sounds like a bear.

lol, I'm sorry. I just saw the word Oldsmobile and instantly thought of the Alero with the 2.2L when the cartridge filter was mentioned. Sorry about that.

The right tool makes all the difference! This is the wrench the dealer uses, an SPX Kent-Moore J-29142:

project1lz3.jpg

It's steel, well made and was the first thing I bought after we bought the car. Oil changes are a breeze on this car using this wrench!

Excellent Blokey, thanks for your hard work posting this up, I appreciate your efforts!! Hopefully it isn't too hard to find up here in Canada? Thanks again, this will definitely make life easier.........Irv

Thanks again Blokey, I took your info and pic to a GM dealer and he said he can get it. It looks like it will be about $30.00 Canadian to get it oredered in?
I have a mechanic friend of mine who said he is going to find one cheaper somewhere? Sounds like I will have one at least. Thanks again, I appreiate your help........Irv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back