Question about 1999 GMC Sierra 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, my friend brought over his sister's '99 GMC Sierra 1500 4WD today for an oil change. I drained the oil and removed the old oil filter that Wal-Mart put on previously (so tight my hand is bruised and the can looks like it's been through a war because of the warfare I had to use against it) and it was a Fram PH3980. I purchased another 3980, except it was the AAP Totalgrip AA3980, which is the same size. I then looked into the manual and saw that the truck only had a 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8 or a 5.3 V8. He told me he thought it was a 5.7, but from what I understand they didn't make the 5.7 for the Sierra that year. The manual said 6 quarts for everything except the V6 and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a V6. Fram's "guide" showed the PH3675 for the 5.3, which is what I think the truck actually is. I should have paid closer attention to see how many spark plugs it had to see if it was the V6 or V8.. I just put the 3980 on with 6 quarts of oil and didn't have a chance to check the level because he was in a hurry to get home. There were no leaks or strange noises and the oil pressure registered after about 2-3 seconds and he said it ran fine on the way home. I'm going to go to his house tomorrow to double check the fluid level and the engine, but does anyone know what I should look for on the VIN to see what engine it has? From what I gather, it's the 8th character that tells the engine code for GMC pickups. But I don't know what the letters will mean once I do find it. I'm 99% sure it was the 5.3 V8, and the manual said it was engine code "T" for the 5.3, and I think I looked at the wrong digit in the VIN. I was looking at the 3rd character, which was the letter T. But, after looking into it further, the T actually meant "GMC Truck." The manual didn't help either, it didn't say which digit to look at in the VIN.

Also, did they actually make a 5.7 for that year? If it does turn out to be the 5.3, did I do the right thing by using the 3980 with 6 quarts of oil? If it does turn out to be the V6, I know the oil filter is right because Fram says it's the 3980 for the 4.3 V6, but I think that one only called for 4.5-5 quarts of oil... I'll have to drain some out in that case. Really bad day thus far, that oil change took almost 2 hours because of unfortunate setbacks and I know next to nothing about Chevy/GMC trucks..

I asked him to get me the VIN so I could post the 8th digit here but he said it's too dark out and he doesn't know where the flashlight is, so I'll find out more tomorrow. I'm thinking one of two things: Wal-Mart put the V6 oil filter on a V8, or it actually IS the V6 and I put too much oil in it... Hopefully the former.

Edit: D'oh, I meant to post this in the Mechanical/Maintenance forum...

Last edited:
If it didn't leak or knock you are probably going to be OK. Believe it or not you probably knew as much about his vehicle as the folks at the quick change.

If it's a 1999 GMC Siera 1500 here's the secret decoder ring:

The 5.3L V8 is code T
The 4.8L V8 is code V
The 4.3L V6 is code W

Good luck!

The engine looked just like this one:
9238_3.JPG

Not this one:
3155_1.JPG

The truck looks almost identical to this, except it's black. It has the same wheels, same extended cab, same Z71 sticker:
81da_3.JPG

Based on the 4 bolt valve covers, 4 plug wires and large middle double exhaust port on the manifold I'd say you had a V8 in your garage. Next time just count the spark plug boots and you'll know in a jiffy at least what you are dealing with. I'm telling you if he got a new oil filter that didn't leak and it didn't knock he'll be ok for a while. You did good helping your buddy out just use a bit more due diligence and you'll be good to go next time...
04.gif

That second pic has the Vortec engine. Isn`t that the V6? Looks identical to my gf`s dad`s Blazer`s engine which is the Vortec V6. I would guess a full size GM truck would have to have a V8,right? Especially one with the Z71 off road package.

Well, I see 4 plug wires coming off the driverside cylinder bank which would indicate it's a V-8. However, the pic above is of the older GM trucks pre 1999. And the pic of the motor you posted first is of a 5.7L. You sure the truck is a 99?

Yeah, I could tell it was going to be a bad experience because when I went to drain the oil I forgot to remove the plug on my drain pan and it overflowed all down the driveway. God bless kitty litter. And with the oil filter giving me so many headaches, it took over 2 hours to do the entire oil change. I'll be checking it out tomorrow and if it's overfilled I'll drain some out. I don't see how it could be overfilled though when the manual said both of the V8s (the 4.8 and 5.3) both took 6 quarts, and only the V6 took 4.6 IIRC. There was no mention of a 5.0 or 5.7 in the owner's manual that was in his glovebox, so I don't believe it's a 5.0 or 5.7, and it is most likely the 4.8 or 5.3. I believe the Sierra Classic 1500 (I think that's what it's called, with those table saw blade wheels) came only in the 4.3, 4.8 and 5.3... gah, so confused. Why do they have to make it so confusing, they should just put the engine type on the top of the engine like they do with their other engines like the 3100, they make it simple that way!
LOL.gif

Simple. The engine above is a 5.7l. The 4.3 V6 is the 5.7 with 2 cyl lopped off (and a EXCELLENT engine.. I miss mine)

The bottom motor is the 4.8/5.3 new V8. (started in the new model 1999 Silverado) (And I miss my 4.8l Silverado)

The 5.7 and 4.3 take the old filters and the 4.8/5.3 take the 3675 filters.

Quote:
Sierra Classic 1500
has the OLD style motor (NOT the 4.8/5.3)

Bill

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a 99, it said 1999 on the owner's manual... "1999 GMC Trucks" is what the cover said, I believe. Inside the manual, it only listed the 4.3, 4.8 and 5.3, with no mention of the 5.0 or 5.7, I'm confused as well. He and his sister both thought it was a 5.7, and it does indeed look like a 5.7. Is there a digit on the VIN that will tell the year of the vehicle as well? I also think it'll say the year of the vehicle on the door jam label where it tells the tire pressure information. I believe the truck is called a GMC Sierra Classic 1500, so maybe it's made to look retro or something? I know next to nothing about these trucks, as you can tell
LOL.gif

If it is a V8, then it is a 5.0 or 5.7l.

If it is a V6, then it is the 4.3.

Both take the same filter.

NOT the 3675.

Simple.

Take care, bill

Bill, thanks for the input! I wonder why the manual made NO mention of that at all, or maybe whoever put the manual in there put the wrong one in there. For instance, when I go to Amsoil.com and check their filter/application reference, and I click 1999, GMC Trucks, Sierra 1500 Pickup, it only gives me the 4.3, 4.8 and 5.3. If I click the K1500 4WD, it lists the 5.0 and 5.7. Is the Classic considered a K1500, and is there any way I can tell? Do you happen to know if putting 6 quarts in, instead of the 5 quarts the 5.7 took (IIRC), will hurt anything? I should probably drain a quart out just in case since it's not my truck and I don't want anything happening to it. Thanks for the help.
thumbsup2.gif

I'd check the dip stick. If its over filled, I'd drain it to full.

I'm not a fan of over filling engines. Esp ones of family members as *if* anything goes wrong, you are to blame.

They made both styles side by side for 1999. The old style and new. The new style only had the 4.8/5.3 for 1999 and added the 4.3 V6 once the "classic" left production.

C1500 are the 2 wheel drive and K1500 are 4 wheel drive no matter what year.

Take care, bill

PS: Another way to tell "classic" from new in the 1/2 ton is the battery is right side (passenger). The new style the battery is on the left.

You probably will not jurt a thing to leave the extra qt of oil in there, especially if it uses some oil and no one ever checks it. (starting out with a little reserve) I run our 5.0 (305) 1/2qt to 1 qt overfilled most of the time.

But yes, 4.5-5 qts should get it to the full mark on that engine or the 4.3 V6. The newer 5.3 Vortec V8's usually take 6 qts.

Since when I look it up on Fram, Purolator, Amsoil, etc., it doesn't list the Classic 1500, should I just look under K1500, since it's 4WD? I think I better drain it just to play it safe. Even though .9 quarts isn't drastic, I don't feel like playing roulette with someone else's car. It doesn't burn any oil. I've checked his dipstick before when it had around 2,000 miles on it and it was right at the full mark from when Wal-Mart changed it last.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Since when I look it up on Fram, Purolator, Amsoil, etc., it doesn't list the Classic 1500, should I just look under K1500, since it's 4WD? I think I better drain it just to play it safe. Even though .9 quarts isn't drastic, I don't feel like playing roulette with someone else's car.
thumbsup2.gif

The dip stick is your friend!
thumbsup2.gif

Only the GMC K series (blazer type and old style) or 2wd truck would have gotten a 5.0 or 5.7 V8 in 1999...unless someone got creative after blowing an engine (all bets are off then).

Last edited:
I'll check the VIN tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it is indeed the 5.7 after the input here and looking into it further. If the 8th digit is an "R", it's a 5.7 right?

If it's RRRR like a pirate would say and it's a 1999 it is indeed a 5.7 with 5.1 quarts of capacity. As many have said the dipstick will be your friend in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back