TDI intake manifold at 97k

Status
Not open for further replies.
This what my intake manifold looks like.

2797686616_7ef33c346f.jpg

This failly common on TDIs

Does this affect the drive ability?

The MPG?

How much of a job is it to take off and clean?

Does not look good...

Thanks, Bill

I was averaging 47mpg and now it's getting around 32 to 35mpg. It has 97,000 miles and the EGR was turn down by VAG-COM when it was new. Also it has Old Navy CCV on it. It drives pretty normal except for the bad mpg.

Last edited:
The old fix was to heat it with a torch until it was burning red hot, and then turn off the acetylene, crank up the oxygen, and the oxygen would burn the residue out clean.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The old fix was to heat it with a torch until it was burning red hot, and then turn off the acetylene, crank up the oxygen, and the oxygen would burn the residue out clean.

I've heard that, but never seen it done. Makes sense.
Most of the TDIclub people use acetone (other stuff too) and elbow grease.
My thoughts were to find a machine shop and have it bead blasted. I was hoping to need this done at 250k. This thread has me raising eyebrows unhappily.

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
Also it has Old Navy CCV on it. It drives pretty normal except for the bad mpg.

Is the bad MPG the reason you took it off?
What's Old Navy CCV?

This EGR clogging problem will go away with the switch to ULSD. Tangojetta's 2003 ran on LSD (500 ppm sulfur) for its first 3+ years. My EGR came off last winter at about 240k miles and it was still pretty clean inside. My EGR's plumbing is still in place, but deactivated, so I will never have to worry about EGR or intake clogging.

Good news from Tornado Red. Thank you.

Tango - FYI -http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

I did the scraping/cleaning for a friend and it was over half an hour of some savage work. Whole job was about two and a half hours.

Got it all back together, it seems to have more power. Also it barely smokes now.

Originally Posted By: tangojetta
Got it all back together, it seems to have more power. Also it barely smokes now.

That's good. And it's getting an adequate supply of fresh air now, that's the reason why it's not smoking.

You should see inside some of the GDI engines - ports and valves are almost completely blocked.The Mitsi scanner shows the % of available advance....100% means it's working perfectly,so sometimes we see 0 available advance...meaning it's knocking all the time.

The genuine Mitsubishi intake cleaner smells of ammonia - and I know guys in engine shops that use oven cleaner to clean out intakes and ports.We have special wire brushes to ram down the intakes.

+2 on the oven cleaner (basically pure lye.)

I had a clogged heat riser in my '60 VW. I used oven cleaner along with a nicely frayed piece of steel garage door cable chucked in a 3/8 drill to clean it out. Once the lye in the oven cleaner loosened up the carbon the spinning wire with splayed ends cleaned the rest of the carbon out. A good flush with water and the manifold was good as new.

Oven cleaner was the only thing that would touch that carbon - it was like a rock.

Andrew S.

I am not sure what heating the intake does to the structure of the aluminum but baking it outdoors on a propane grill(that you obviously will never use again for food) worked great.

It all flaked off effortlessly and was not an oily, gooey mess anymore.

Someone on TDI recommended it to me and I must say it worked awesome.

Make sure you do it outdoors because it will smoke A LOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back