Post your current MPG

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect.

How many emergency stops have you made?

Several times. Before I made 50psi a policy, I tested the brakes in wet and dry conditions. I too had my doubts.

HAAAAAAAAAAA! You tested the brakes...

Try a full limits of the vehicle type braking and cornering maneuver, like if a deer ran across the road in front of you on a wet road. I guarantee your testing of the brakes was nothing compared to an actual panic driving situation.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I've driven in the rain several times, and found no noticable loss in traction with the tires up to 50PSI. I'm sure there is in fact degradation but a lot less then you might expect.

How many emergency stops have you made?

Several times. Before I made 50psi a policy, I tested the brakes in wet and dry conditions. I too had my doubts.

HAAAAAAAAAAA! You tested the brakes...

Try a full limits of the vehicle type braking and cornering maneuver, like if a deer ran across the road in front of you on a wet road. I guarantee your testing of the brakes was nothing compared to an actual panic driving situation.

If you let your emotions take over control of your actions, it won't matter whether there's 10psi or 60psi. You're going to have an accident.

'08 YARIS Liftback with 5 speed : 43.01 m.p.g. ; 89 octane ( non ethanol ) , 45% City and 55% Hwy. ( top speed : 78 m.p.h. ) , tire pressure: about 33 and 3/4 p.s.i. ( cold ) , fairly fresh fill of PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 ( about 600 miles ago ) .

Last edited:
>45 mpg in a Subaru station wagon.

-55 mph, 5w20 in motor, well worn tires at 40psi. I'm looking for some thinner gear oil for the front and rear diffs, which should give it another 1/2 mpg. Aero mods will bring it to 50.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
>45 mpg in a Subaru station wagon.

-55 mph, 5w20 in motor, well worn tires at 40psi. I'm looking for some thinner gear oil for the front and rear diffs, which should give it another 1/2 mpg. Aero mods will bring it to 50.

What motor/year is that car? Is that in imperial gallons? Was this achieved via hypermiling? If so, what techniques? This is about 13-15 mpg higher than normal which is why I ask all these questions.

forgot to add: Tires are over sized, so motor turns slower at speed, and are close to bald at the contact area. us gallons. 2001 model, 2.5L motor with about 110,000 miles on it, and the car was driven in traffic, which adds a light tailwind. Weather was warm, so air density was low.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
forgot to add: Tires are over sized, so motor turns slower at speed, and are close to bald at the contact area. us gallons. 2001 model, 2.5L motor with about 110,000 miles on it, and the car was driven in traffic, which adds a light tailwind. Weather was warm, so air density was low.

Is the ECM corrected to compensate for the larger tires so your odometer and speedometer are accurate?

Something does not sound right here. No one has posted >45 mpg on a newer subaru wagon (non diesel I mean). What am I missing?

'08 YARIS automatic sedan : 42.6 m.p.g. : just changed the oil from PENNZOIL Platinum 5w-30 > Platinum 5w-20 with 60 miles on this tank of gas . This consisted of : tire pressure : 33 and 1/4 ( cold ) , SUNOCO 89 w/ 10% ethanol , 45% City / 55% Highway ( speeds high as 73 m.p.h. ) , 2 people ( 85% of time ) , strong winds : 20 + m.p.h. , and steep hills to climb .

07 Fit (bought in Oct 06), short of 10,000kms to clock. Running Texaco/Chevron 87 octane, stock skinny tires,MC5W20+4Oz AutoRx, Idemitsu Honda MTF-II, running A/C 20% of the time, just clocked 40.18miles/US gal during my last tank (3/4 empty before fillup), calculated to be using 6L/100kms in the city.

Q.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Something does not sound right here. No one has posted >45 mpg on a newer subaru wagon (non diesel I mean). What am I missing?

Well I have a 07 Outback with the standard engine and can get the best MPG out of one than anyone can.

The best I have seen with it is just a little over 32mpg on ONE tank. Take it across a few tanks and the average is right around 30 mpg.

That is the best you are going to get with one.

45 MPG?
crackmeup2.gif

Around town average is 25-26mpg. Again, the best it is going to see.

bill

Try 55 mph with a tailwind, on a hot day, bald tires at 40 psi and 5w20 in the motor. :)

I get only 33 mpg when I go 73 mph, with normal tire pressure, but fender skirts and grille blocking should bring that up to 37.

Me:

1991 Honda Prelude - 26-28mpg mostly short trip mixed driving
- 30-33mpg long highway trips

my wife:

2005 Honda Accord - 26-28mpg mostly short trip mixed driving;
- 32-35mpg long highway trips

my brother

1983 Saab 900 Turbo - 27-30mpg mostly highway
1989 Saab 900 Turbo - 28-31mpg mostly highway

Me: 2004 Taco V6 15-17mpg mostly city driving, with a few hard accelerations now and then. I usually drive in the right hand lane to let impatient people pass. This truck is also modified with an aftermarket suspension, lifted about 2" to fit bigger 265/75/16 offroad tires - 265/70/16 are OEM size

Wife: 2004 Highlander I4 - averaging 23mpg city driving with a few highway trips of 100 miles or so. I am running an ARX clean on this engine, so I expect the mileage to get a little better with time.

2002 Cavalier 2.2

24-25 mpg, almost all city or "freeway" (and by that I mean moving about 5-10 mph in traffic) driving with the A/C on most of the time. It's not great, but in those conditions even a Yaris is going to get [censored] mileage.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
2002 Cavalier 2.2

24-25 mpg, almost all city or "freeway" (and by that I mean moving about 5-10 mph in traffic) driving with the A/C on most of the time. It's not great, but in those conditions even a Yaris is going to get [censored] mileage.

Yup.

05 Crown Victoria

26 all highway,18 highway and city mixed and 14 all city. The a/c is always left on in the automatic position no matter what the temperature is.

Back