Clutch Creaking Noise Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Honda Accord with 101000 miles on it. The clutch does not slip and engages nicely. However, when I press down on the clutch it makes an awful creaking noise. I went to Honda dealer and the one service guy looked at it and said adjustments looks fine. I asked him if there was a way to grease or oil the component and he suggested it was sealed and there was no way to do that. Has anyone experienced same issue and have potential solutions.

I'm not familiar with your clutch but it sounds like the pivot at the top of you clutch pedal arm under your instrument panel is dry.

If you dive under your instrument panel and push the clutch pedal by hand, you should be able to confirm that.

Once you find the offending joint, you should be able to fix it by shooting some kind of lube into it with a fles hose on an aerosol can. Lithium grease, various teflon sprays, etc... avoid silicone, it's a lousy lube.

I bet a dry pivot point. Seems odd that a 2004 vehicle would be squeaky, but you do have 101k miles on it.

No big deal, but you should be able to trace it easy...

JMH

I'd bet a six pack of beer that it's the clutch master cylinder. Not at all uncommon on newer Hondas. The component is sealed, so no way to lube it. Only thing to do is replace it, which can be a major PITA if it's buried between the strut tower and firewall, which it probably is.

Put your head down underneath the dash. Press the clutch pedal. Does the noise sound like it's coming from right there? Then that's the problem. See how the clutch pedal is attached to a rod that goes into a cylinder? That's the clutch master cylinder.

Last edited:
I went under dashboard and did see where the pedal is attached. Did not know where exactly to try and grease it,but saw where I guess was attached to Master Cylinder. I did listen for the sound by pressing pedal down with my hand. About midway down the creaking started and sounded like it came from right there. The sound continued from midway to all the way pressed down. There was no sound when released the clutch slowly as if driving. I took it back to the Honda Dealer. I met with the service guy I usually work with and he had his team leader with 25 years experience to view the problem, or at least the annoyance. The service guy informed me the Master Cylinder requires replacement and showed me a service bulletin from January 11, 2005, which describes the "squeak, twang, or notchy feel when the clutch pedal is pressed. All civics, Accords, Elements, and CRV,s from 2003-2004 seem th have the same potential problem. I am not mechanically inclined and really appreciate the responses. The service guy quoted me 388 for the part and service. I would be interested if people think that is a reasonable price, or if anyone has other thoughts or ideas about the problem. I am not sure if the mechanic tried to squirt some grease in there. My thought is he diagnosed it as a master cylinder concern and probably did not do it. On a side note..I have been using FP300 and recently-within last 6 months used two doses of Techron Concentrate and two doses of Amsoil PI new formula. Asked him to check throttle body and he said looked very clean and did not recommend the throttle cleaning service which I am sure they do good business on with gas prices.

Last edited:
If the clutch is operating properly I would leave it alone and deal with the noise.

Frank D

Says here that it should be 'flat rate time 0.8 hour'. So find out how much the parts are, and make sure they only charge you .8 of whatever one hour labour is.

January 11, 2005
Applies To:
See VEHICLES AFFECTED

Squeak at the Clutch Pedal
(Supersedes 02-002, dated September 21, 2004)

SYMPTOM
A squeak, a twang, or a notchy feel when the clutch pedal is pressed.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The clutch master cylinder spring is rubbing on the outer diameter of the piston when the pedal is pressed, or the master cylinder quick connect is moving.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the master cylinder, and apply a thin film of silicone grease to the clutch line fitting.

REQUIRED MATERIALS

Silicone Grease: P/N 08C30-B0234M, H/C 6110928

Brake Fluid: P/N 08798-9008, H/C 4423802

PARTS INFORMATION
Civic/Civic Hybrid Master Cylinder:p/N 46920-S5A-G04, H/C 7569452

Accord/Civic Si/CR-V/Element Master Cylinder:p/N 46920-57A-A02, H/C 7604507

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION
In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Operation Number: 211101

Flat Rate Time: 0.6 hour (All Civics)
0.8 hour (Accord/CR-V/Element)

Failed Part:
Civic/Civic Hybrid:
P/N 46920-55A-G01
H/C 6571103

Accord/Civic Si/CR-V/Element:
P/N 46920-S7A-A01
H/C 6729031

Defect Code: 03214

Symptom Code: 04201

Skill Level: Repair Technician

REPAIR PROCEDURE
NOTICE Do not spill brake fluid on the vehicle; it may damage the paint. If brake fluid does contact the paint, wash it off immediately with water.

1. Remove the clutch master cylinder.

Refer to the appropriate service manual:
2003-04 Accord (L4): page 12-6

2003-04 Accord (V6): page 12-8

2001-04 Civic: page 12-5

2002-04 Civic Si: page 12-5

2003-04 Civic Hybrid: page 13-5

2002-04 CR-V: page 12-5

2003-04 Element: page 12-6

Enter keyword CLUTCH MASTER, and select Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement from the list.
2. Install the new clutch master cylinder, but do not attach the clutch line fitting.
Apply a thin coat of silicone grease to the clutch line fitting and to the opening in the clutch master cylinder. Do not use silicone spray; it could damage the 0-ring.

4. Connect the clutch line fitting to the clutch master cylinder.

5. Bleed the clutch hydraulic system, then top off the reservoir with brake fluid.

6. Check to see if the noise is gone when pressing the clutch pedal.

^ If the noise is gone, the repair is complete.

^ If the noise is still present, look for other causes.

7. Test-drive the vehicle to check for proper clutch operation.

XX650'S POST "I'm not familiar with your clutch but it sounds like the pivot at the top of you clutch pedal arm under your instrument panel is dry.

If you dive under your instrument panel and push the clutch pedal by hand, you should be able to confirm that.

Once you find the offending joint, you should be able to fix it by shooting some kind of lube into it with a fles hose on an aerosol can. Lithium grease, various teflon sprays, etc... avoid silicone, it's a lousy lube."

I took your advice and bought some Lithium Spray Grease. I sprayed grease in the pivot joint. The noise went away immediately and have driven the car about 500 miles and the noise is still nonexistent. The clutch pedal feels smooth and continues to engage nicely. Will post update in 1000 miles or so.

Kewl, when I lubed the clutch pivot on my pickup it was still good 3 or 4 years later when I got rid of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back