What oil to run on a 93 toyota celica ST 4afe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this awhile back but i can't find it under search anymore.

I have a 93 toyota celica 4afe 1.6 liter.

I just spent an "ok" amount on royal purple. Since my car only holds less then 4 quarts of oil it's not a huge deal. I decided to go with royal purple because i know "some people" Use it to clean out there engine some times. I thought it would be a good oil to switch to from using dino oil.

I replaced all the seals etc, and my car burns zero oil. I know synthetics lower if not prevent oil burning in many cases. The 4afe is prone to oil burning, i know from first hand experiences.

My question was what all do you guys suggest oil wise for the car? I can't find GC to save my life. The car recommends 10w-30, so put weight you recommend brand etc. please.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited:
110k all seals were replaced, except for the head gasket.

I also live in ohio, so winter is a factor.

I want to use GC but I'm not sure how well it will run in the celica.

4AFE, same as the corolla 1.6L, it is very reliable and can use anything. Mine is at 176k and is still burning nothing, use either 5W30 or 10W30 and is happy with almost all but SuperTech and Formula Shell back in the SL days (thicken faster than other oil like Pennzoil or Chevron Supreme). Currently on Valvoline Dino and seems to run fine.

7AFE has oil burning problem that may want a thicker oil.

5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum year-round
thumbsup2.gif

I had a 1991 Corolla SR-5 coupe with this motor - ran it on nothing but Pennzoil 5W/10W-30, until I sold it to a friend at about 130k miles. Used about 1/2 liter between OCI's (3-6k), and ran like a top. It DID emit a tiny puff of blue smoke on start-up if it had been sitting for more than a day when I sold it, but my friend ran it to almost 250k miles, until rust got it...great engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back