08 Honda Fit FF 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Fit factory fill. Changed early based on little trust of the Honda owners manual in this area. Suspect it's 5W-20 as that is the oil weight oil recommended by Honda. Drive very easy 70% freeway.
Replaced with 5W-20 Wallmart Supertech. Will dump and test at 5000.

I think the high moly content is from an additive not the oil or assy lube.

Anyone seen a VOA on the factory oil????
fit1stoilchange52008nh9.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Looks like this engine completely skipped break in.
shocked2.gif

Forget about Honda's special break-in oil... Their engines come pre-broken in! Wow!

My fit has covered 8600kms so far (with 90% hiway) and had my 2nd oil change already: (FF changed out @3600kms, MortarMaster full-syn 5W20 changed out @8000kms, now using MC 5W20 syn-blend with 4 Oz AutoRx). Absolutely loving that car (Esp. when you consider our gas price here in beaverland).

Like I've been telling a lot of posters on the internet:eek:n new cars these days, engine already properly broken into already so need to drive gingerly or conservatively. Just drive like you normally should and perform conservative OCI. Your car/engine will love you for that.

Q.

Last edited:
Looks like Honda knows something about the use of Moly.
This should(but probably won't)put to rest the debate about leaving in Honda's break in oil. I just got rid of my Honda but it was not because of the Motor or Tranny.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Looks like Honda knows something about the use of Moly.
This should(but probably won't)put to rest the debate about leaving in Honda's break in oil. I just got rid of my Honda but it was not because of the Motor or Tranny.

yep you are correct. Until we see a VOA on a real qt of the FF oil, it's anyones guess how it ends up looking like this.
wink.gif

I'd would like to end the speculation about the high moly from assy lube. I build race engines and use the stuff on most

fastners. lots of it
grin2.gif
and I never see a huge spike like this MG when I test that oil.

650ppm man that's freak like
I have run race oil Schaffers Micro Moly and was like 300 tops
I also have a race bud that works at Honda and has seen lots of HONDA short blocks. Says it's not on those engines at all.

I'd also mention I practice hypermilling and have averaged 43mpg on this over the 5000 miles and 3 months. I typically get 45mpg and as high as 50. ie I take it easy on it big time

Last edited:
Looks pretty close to my first UOA on the factory fill on my '08 Civic Si. Really the only difference in the oil is yours is showing higher moly and slightly different viscosity (probably your 5w20 vs my 5w30). I'm showing a little higher on copper but I'm going to take a wild guess and say that my engine probably saw a few more turns over the 4XXX miles the oil was run and I use a fairly aggressive break in procedure
grin2.gif

yes I babied this more than any car I have driven new over the last 35 years. Was thinking the UOA would show that. I have got the hypermiling bug now. Owning/driving a low 7 sec 180mph 4 link dragster, I do not feel the need to do anything on the city streets. With 109hp, the Fit's Cheap transportation. I'd rater be back in my 3/4 ton Suburban but at $4/ had to change

Wow, those are good numbers for the first sample on a fresh engine. You didn't do the car any favors changing out for SuperTech mystery oil IMO.

Originally Posted By: quick_16
Changed early based on little trust of the Honda owners manual

Why would you trust some backyard mechanic or forum dude and not Honda engineers? Owner manual clearly says – don’t drain early. I’m on my factory fill at 3600ml and 75% oil life. I wouldn’t drain no matter what till I see 15% as recommended in owner manual.

Originally Posted By: gaspo

Why would you trust some backyard mechanic or forum dude and not Honda engineers? Owner manual clearly says – don’t drain early. I’m on my factory fill at 3600ml and 75% oil life. I wouldn’t drain no matter what till I see 15% as recommended in owner manual.

OK I'm calling you out. What page of the owner manual says this about the FF? All I could find was not specific. I want to see the part about the 1st fill and any reff to this FF oil and keeping it in.

I guess being a degreed engineer, I have learned to be sceptically. How I change my oil is based on MY sound rational not anything I read on here or another Form.

PS I saved the oil and you can have it if you want to use that last 35% lol

has anyone seen a UOA or VOA on here with a oil that had moly this high? 675ppm
I'd love to see it
Highest I have seen was 250 in some Schaffer's race oil.

wow they have gone nuts 1221ppm IS that right. That's nuts.

Any of the pros (like Terry) weigh in on this?

"1221 Moly" and a healthy dose of Boron. - I was most (pleasantly) surprised too! I was certain that the Suzuki plant in Kosai, just used whatever was the cheapest bulk 5w-30 available. Glad to be proven wrong. I wasn't even planning on having the FF tested, but for my other sample having been lost.

Originally Posted By: gaspo

OK I'm calling you out. What page of the owner manual says this about the FF? All I could find was not specific. I want to see the part about the 1st fill and any reff to this FF oil and keeping it in.

I guess being a degreed engineer, I have learned to be sceptically. How I change my oil is based on MY sound rational not anything I read on here or another Form.

PS I saved the oil and you can have it if you want to use that last 35% lol

Look at ‘break-in period’ it should be there.., at least in my crv and accord manuals. Replacing early with supertech – cheap addpack and questionable basestock would not be good idea. Thanks for your generous oil offer, I’ll take it when I done with my little stash.

cimg06803tb6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back