Wix filter media question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always use Amsoil EaO filters on my 2007 Civic, but use the Wix 51356 filter on my wife's 2006 Pilot. Wix makes both of these filters and they look essentially the same from the outside. The construction quality on the Wix and EaO filters appears to be identical.

With the above being said, I realize that the EaO's media is what differentiates it from the Wix filter line. I wonder why Wix doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on the efficiency of their filter media as they obviously do on build quality? The Wix filter has a nominal micron rating of 19 as per the information on their web site. Wix uses cellulose media for the most part, though they do mention that it is glass enhanced.

Three Questions:

1) Why doesn't Wix market their own line of synthetic media oil filters?

2) Why doesn't Wix use a more efficient filter media that would improve on their nominal 19 micron rating?

3) Are Wix filters better than their marketing information seems to portray?

The answer to 1 and 2 is probably dollars.
Most car owners (and shops) don't much care about anything except how little they can pay for something. Better filter that lasts longer, but costs more? No thanks.

Notice that AMSOIL selected Wix to partner with, and that was likely (at least partly) because of quality considerations.

1. They do well enough producing for others.
2. Most people other than ones here don't know or don't care about the rating.
3. They are one of the better brands.

(The glass enhanced media catches alot in the 10-12 micron range per their site)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
I have always use Amsoil EaO filters on my 2007 Civic, but use the Wix 51356 filter on my wife's 2006 Pilot. Wix makes both of these filters and they look essentially the same from the outside.

I was under the impression that the Amsoil EaO filters were Donaldson's.

http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/lube/lube.html

They appear to be essentially the same filter Donaldson made for the brand called "Hard Driver" which had a short life before disappearing.

With the above being said, I realize that the EaO's media is what differentiates it from the Wix filter line. I wonder why Wix doesn't seem to put as much emphasis on the efficiency of their filter media as they obviously do on build quality? .....

2) Why doesn't Wix use a more efficient filter media that would improve on their nominal 19 micron rating? .....

Because they won't sell.

The Hard Driver line disappeared without a trace and never got into significant distribution.

AC/Delco had an Ultra filter made by Champion that used a full synthetic media and tested out much like the Amsoil and Hard Driver. They never could get them into distribution and where they did, they sat on the shelf.

I bought a case for my wife's car when AC/Delco dropped them.

The only part numbers left in the line fit the Corvettes.

The only reason people buy $2.99 oil filters is because they can't find any for $ .99.

'

I believe that Donaldson makes the media in the Amoil EaO filter, but the filter itself is assembled by Wix.

Look at the success of the Mobil 1 EP oil filter. I think that Wix could market a filter with full synthetic, or partial synthetic, media.

Folks that use Wix/Napa are obviously impressed with the build quality. Wouldn't these same folks pay ~$2 more for a Wix filter with a better media?

Okay ..as **** knows from attending the same sales meeting in Lancaster

Donaldson LICENSES the SYTEQ process to Amsoil. Amsoil makes their own media. Amsoil's machines in Amsoil's (by that I mean "at the direction of Amsoil in whatever that may include in actual producing company's ownership) facility.

Wix makes SOME of the EaO line. I asked and it was stated that the actual producer is chosen for their advantage in construction of THAT filter. It may be Wix. I think that they make many of them and Donaldson may make some of them.

They don't have the distribution. They have two outlets (outside of Amsoil) ..direct accounts or NAPA. They're in competition with Baldwin ..etc.. You don't see Wix at AA, PB, AZ, etc...

2) Why doesn't Wix use a more efficient filter media that would improve on their nominal 19 micron rating?

The nominal view is antiquated. The multipass view is more indicative of filter performance in a comparative manner.

Wix appears to conform to OEM spec's. If a unit requires an unusual bypass valve setting ..or filtration performance level, Wix appears cater to that spec. That is, where it falls outside of generic ..so does the filter. Purolator and others tend to blanket cover a very broad span of applications. They also offer two tiers of quality. Wix only offers ONE under their label.

3) Are Wix filters better than their marketing information seems to portray?

If viewed in proper perspective, no. They're exactly what they are. High quality filters that meet or exceed OEM spec's with solid distinction.

If you view them from a filtration performance standpoint, then they're average with high reliability(to maintain the OEM spec).

Wix filters are carried at O'Reilly Auto Parts which has a huge distribution chain. Carquest auto parts also hires Wix to make their private label filters and they are very well made. I sure wish we carried Wix at Wal-Mart.
frown.gif

Car Quest carries their own line. The Blue just happens to be like a NAPA GOLD (aka rebadged Wix).

O'Reilly's is a larger chain that sells WIX filters and much of its expansion has been in the past decade, mostly through acquisition. It currently has 1775 stores.

NAPA 6000+
AZ 4000
AA 3000
PB 592

Wix ONLY produces ONE filter under their label. It also happens to be the NG and the CQ Blue.

What I'm really referring to is "marketing". You don't see Wix at Kmart, AA, AZ, PB, WM. Yet, you'll see Fram (at most), Purolator, M1, and a housebrand probably made by either Champ labs and/or Purolator.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
.... Amsoil makes their own media. ....

The actual filter media, the material that the oil is run through to catch particles, is unlikely to actually be manufactured by Amsoil.

Filter media, lens cleaners, tissues, toilet paper, and so on and so forth are usually made by companies who make just that sort of material. It usually involves expensive machinery, sometimes patented processes, and so on and so forth.

Companies like Purolator, Fram, and Champion buy this material in rolls and then cut it, form it, and glue it into their filters.

They may be cutting and forming it.

Err...Rolf ...you seemed to have missed

Quote:
Amsoil's machines in Amsoil's (by that I mean "at the direction of Amsoil in whatever that may include in actual producing company's ownership) facility.

..aka "contracted production".

..and I've worked (a long time ago) in filter media production facilities. It wasn't media for oil filtration, but air and water. Needle boards and rakes and hoppers. It would come out like a blanet. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how blankets were made.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church

Notice that AMSOIL selected Wix to partner with, and that was likely (at least partly) because of quality considerations.

yea did you notice that they didn't partner with FRAM.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I have always use Amsoil EaO filters on my 2007 Civic, but use the Wix 51356 filter on my wife's 2006 Pilot.

Good choice. With the beta ratio of 2/20=6/19 its the best filter that Ive been able to find for the $6 price. ABC auto parts and bumper to bumper auto parts also sells them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back