What's the best chassis grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely something fortified with molly 5%.
thumbsup.gif

Schaeffers have some good looking stuff but good luck getting some. i've been trying for 3 days now know one wants to help/reply to my post. so i'll go else where i guess

A road construction company used only lubriplate on their backhoes and front-end loaders.

The backhoes worked particularly hard - digging, ripping, and tearing into rock pits often flooded with water.

The only grease that would last a day was lubriplate 1200 series. Anything else they tried resulted in squeeky pins/bushings by noon.

Since then, I've been a fan.

http://www.lubriplate.com/Products/MultiPurpose.htm

Primrose 327 is very hard to beat. Nothing I have ever tested takes extreme heat, water, acids as Primrose 327.. Nothing......
George Morrison, STLE CLS

i wouldnt worry about what grease you use. as long as you get the basic compatibility right there are more important things to consider than brands of grease. just remember to grease it often. thats far better than brand.

When I was gainfully employed one of the bright management though grease quality did not matter untill the company paid to rebuild lots of greased components .Buy a good quality major brand proper spec grease.

Either Texas Refinery Corp.'s 880 Crown & Chassis Grease or their Paragon 3000. Both are excellent greases with excellent water resistance.

Amsoil Series 2000 racing grease is [censored] good [censored]...It stays in place yet isn't so tacky that when you pull the gun off the fitting you get a stupid 1 foot long string of grease that goes everywhere! Valvoline makes a decent grease too. It's purple, but I can't remember the exact name.

Possibly CAT (as in Caterpillar) Calcium Sulfonate 5% Moly greases.
There are various versions, including synthetic oil bases, depending on $ and environment.

Arctic Platinum is a synthetic oil, 5% moly NLGI 0 grease for use from -50*C up to 20*C http://www.cat.com/cda/files/220214/7/NEHP6011-01.pdf

Desert Gold is a synthetic oil, 5% moly NLGI 2 for extremely high temps from -20*C up to 60*C http://www.cat.com/cda/files/11706/7/NEHP6012-01.pdf

Ultra 5Moly grease is available in NLGI 1 and 2 for temps up to 40* and 50* respectively

Advanced 3Moly grease is a 3% moy grease for medium load applications.

I don't know who blend these for CAT.

I've always used Castrol LMM (NLGI 2, Li complex, 3% moly) as it's cheap and available here, and I've never had a problem (as in anything wear out) using it, but what i use it in wouldn't be considered an extreme environments. (sliding splines, ball joints and uni's)
Unfortunately my nearest CAT dealer is over 100km away.

Hi,
Rick - I used Castrol's LMM too on my trucks - for many many years - and with great results. Each Driver had a GG and six pack of LMM and it was used on all "exposed" nipples (drive line etc) and turntables in between service intervals

I think CAT greases are supplied by EM

G'day Doug.
For a grease that isn't 'the best' in any one area, LMM just plain works well, doesn't it.

What are you using these days ?

Hi,
Rick - Yes LMM has a good reputation

I used LMM on some Utes and 4x4s too and I still have my own (expensive) GG and some LMM cartridges too!!!

No trucks any more I've sold them all!

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back