'96 Beretta 3.1L, lim question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my son's replacement for his '96 Accord today. Prior to buying, I had a mechanic check the lim since it hadn't been replaced yet. He confirmed that it may be beginning to leak (factored this into the purchase price), so I am going to have the repair done this week (pre-emptive strike).

Question is, what other items are accessible and should be replaced/repaired during this job? Whenever I have major work done, I like to take advantage of the labor already paid for to replace other items that may end up being more or less parts cost only.

FYI, a new radiator was put in several years ago so the Dex-Cool has been gone for quite some time. This is probably the reason the lim hasn't needed replacement yet. Also, I will specify the Felpro gaskets based on info from BITOG.

This car is in A/A- condition and has always been garaged and rarely driven in winter. I will try to post a picture in the 'get to know you' thread later.

Thanks!

PS-it will be getting 2 rounds of A-Rx in the motor and 1 in the tranny. I will then switch to PP and Dex VI, unless someone can recommend something better for the 3100 and 4T60-E (I think this is the correct trans).

Basically make sure they use the Fel-Pro gaskets, and if everything is thoroughly flushed, use Zerex G-05. It's the long life coolant that actually works.

Probably save yourself some coin and just get Dex III.. IIRC there was an updated gasket kit GM released that had better gaskets and bolts for the intake. Have them loctite (the medium strength stuff) the intake bolts so they don't decide to work themselves loose over time so easily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wagsg
Question is, what other items are accessible and should be replaced/repaired during this job?

If we were talking about a 3.8L, I'd say make sure you replace the coolant elbows too, but I'm not sure if a 3.1L has them.

Make absolute certain that the new lower intake gaskets have the reinforced aluminum backing strips; this keeps the gasket from being distorted while being torqued.

Originally Posted By: wagsg
Picked up my son's replacement for his '96 Accord today. Prior to buying, I had a mechanic check the lim since it hadn't been replaced yet. He confirmed that it may be beginning to leak (factored this into the purchase price), so I am going to have the repair done this week (pre-emptive strike).

Question is, what other items are accessible and should be replaced/repaired during this job? Whenever I have major work done, I like to take advantage of the labor already paid for to replace other items that may end up being more or less parts cost only.

FYI, a new radiator was put in several years ago so the Dex-Cool has been gone for quite some time. This is probably the reason the lim hasn't needed replacement yet. Also, I will specify the Felpro gaskets based on info from BITOG.

This car is in A/A- condition and has always been garaged and rarely driven in winter. I will try to post a picture in the 'get to know you' thread later.

Thanks!

You'll need the FelPro gasket set, part number MS98004T. That includes the new rubber/metal lower intake gaskets, some RTV, upper intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, thermostat seal, and EGR gaskets. Like somebody said earlier, the dealer has an "improved" LIM gasket, but it's still plastic and still leaks prematurely. IMO, you'll be much better off with the metal/rubber Felpro gaskets- they'll solve this problem permanently. Be aware that FelPro also sells cheap OEM-style plastic LIM gasket. You don't want these.

You'll also want to pick up a connector for the heater hose pipe that goes into the lower intake. It's about $10, and they ALWAYS break.

It isn't really neccesary to pull the throttle body off the upper intake, but some folks prefer to do it that way. The kit doesn't come with a TB gasket, so it wouldn't hurt to get one.

While you have the engine apart, you'll want to make sure the EGR port into the upper intake is clear- scrape it out with a wire/clean with carb cleaner if it isn't clear.

Also, the oil pump drive is a very common leak on these engines, and it's easy to get to and re-seal while the lower intake is off. It's basically just the bottom half of a distributor, sealed with an o-ring. GM has come out with an improved o-ring (it's brown) that takes care of this problem. IMO, it's worth a trip to the dealer for this o-ring. You remove the hold-down clamp, pull the drive out with some big pliers, change the o-ring, lube it, and put the drive back in. No big deal, and it can save you a lot of trouble down the road.

I agree with MGregior that you should flush and refill with G05 antifreeze. It works fine in these vehicles, and will not turn into sludge like Dexcool. FYI, "all-makes" coolants are essentially Dexcool. They'll work... but I wouldn't reccommend them.

Like Buffamn said, locktite the bolts. I prefer red high-strength locktite... but the important thing is that you put SOME kind of locktite on them. Also, be aware that the LIM torque specs have changed- that felpro set will come with a paper that lists the new specs. You'll torque wrenches that'll do 115 inch-pounds, and 18 foot-pounds.

And last but not least... if you take nothing else away from my post:

KEEP THEM PUSHRODS IN ORDER. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CRANK THE ENGINE OR EVEN TIGHTEN DOWN THE ROCKER ARMS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO BET ROUGHLY $1500 AND THREE DAYS WORK THAT ALL 12 PUSHRODS ARE BACK EXACTLY WHERE THEY WERE BEFORE.

The intake and exhaust pushrods are different lengths. If they get switched... valves will hit pistons and your $$ and time investment will quickly triple or more. I like to take a shoe box, mark it for direction, divide the lid into 12 marked partitions, cut slots and insert pushrods into the lid. And I lay the rocker arms in order inside the shoebox. Also, once you have the valvetrain back together, it's a good idea to turn the engine over SLOWLY! with a ratchet. If a pushrod is out of place, it'll clunk to a stop... then you can figure out what went wrong.

onion,
If only the lower intake manifold is being removed, why the concern for the push rods?
54.gif

wagsg:
While your doing the i/m gasket you can change out your t-stat and spark plugs. Both are tough to get at and are maintenance items that are readily accessible while doing the i/m gasket job.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
onion,
If only the lower intake manifold is being removed, why the concern for the push rods?
54.gif

On the 3100/3400s, the pushrods have to be removed. They don't go through the cylinder heads like on say, a small block Chevy. They kind of sit in the lifter valley.

Thanks for the great info. The car goes in tomorrow for the work which will include the FelPro set and the oil pump seal, as well as a couple other items that my mechanic does as part of this job. Total bill will be approx $600. They will also do a general/safety inspection and make me a punch list of items that may need repaired or replaced in the future as I plan on keeping this car as nice as possible.

Looking over the car again last night, the plug wires are new Accel sprial-core(?) and the plugs have been replaced. The serpentine belt is a GY Gatorback, so that must be pretty new as I think this is a newer product. Two of the coolant hoses that I looked at are Napa, so they have been replaced. Probably when the new radiator was installed. There's also a BG products sticker with trans service at 137,700 mi so I might not run A-Rx in the trans until next summer.

My only complaint so far is the aftermarket cone filter that he put on it. The original air box is in the trunk so I may put that back on. Not sure if it's a big deal, but I just don't care for it.

Update and clarification-- Prior to buying I told the previous owner(he lives 70 mi away) that I wanted a mechanics opinion on the lim. I was told that the lim may be showing signs of leaking. I took the car to my mechanic yesterday and the lim is fine and has been replaced already. What was leaking was the water pump.

Sooo... a new water pump was installed as well as putting the stock airbox back in and a full inspection. The only thing it needs now is front pads/rotors (which I do myself), shocks, and struts.

Now I just have to decide on what shocks/struts to use. This Z26 came with the FE1 suspension, not the upgraded FE3. I would like to have a sportier ride though. Any thoughts there?

Onion, I was quoted around $700 or so for the lim but I've been going to this shop exclusively for 6 years and he gives me the best price he can. He's made plenty off me anyway. I owned a Quad 4 Grand Prix and have a Windstar van!!!
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back