Fram Toughguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard a lot about cardboard ends and other poor design challenges with the orange can. However...I picked up a Fram Toughguard filter today and didn't know if the same rules applied.

Are these filters thought of as poorly also? It did cost a little bit more, and I didn't know if this is just marketing or if this really is a better filter.

Should I run it?

Nope your screwed it has the cardboard,return it for a WIX
NAPA Gold,AC,etc..

the extended guard it the better one..did i say that..

The ONLY reason I got it is because AZ had a deal to get 5 quarts of oil and a Fram Toughguard filter. It was the only one they would throw in with the deal, so I got it.

I have read of a FEW bad experiences with the regular orange can - though none seem too recent. Has anyone had a bad experience with a toughguard?

I don't think you'll have a bad experience with it at all. It's got a silicon ADBV ..so you'll miss the traditional start up rattle (probably). It's got a glass:cellulose blended media.

No biggie. Use it.
21.gif

I used the orange can on my Tundra twice before I found this place.
21.gif
I wont ever again, not when I can get a wix, or NAPA NASCAR or Gold for similar prices.

I took a Napa Gold apart and dam thing is solid inside and out.

My cousin worked in an auto parts store back in the late 70's, when you had to know something about parts if you worked in one, and I remember him say not to use Fram that they were [censored]. anyone know how long they been gluing these things.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't think you'll have a bad experience with it at all. It's got a silicon ADBV ..so you'll miss the traditional start up rattle (probably). It's got a glass:cellulose blended media.

No biggie. Use it.
21.gif

I did the same AutoZone PP and Toughguard filter special. It looks decent from the outside. I think I'll use it, especially since it has the Silicon ADBV.

Some on here will say you can't determine,in any way, the quality of a filter by cutting it open. My good ol' horse sense or(inductive reasoning) tells me if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it prolly is a duck. I personally will not use a fram product, mostly on principal.

Fram TG has silicone ADBV, PTFE gasket, screen-over BPV, glass-celulose media, heavy can w/ grip. $5-$6. It's the best filter in my inventory.

I just bought 2 with the Autozone/PP deal. I think they will work fine. Although I will not stoop to using the orange filter anymore.

At least in my MC FL-820S application, the Fram TG2 has cardboard endcaps but one of the best filtration specs's (outside of pure synth like the EaO and startapore class).

The Fram Extended Guard series has metal endcaps and nice synth-like media for 'extended' OCI's but the beta ratings drop back to the standard PH line.

If I could get the TG2 at the same price as FL-820S I may use those instead for my 5K mile warranty OCI. I would be concerned about the cardboard in long OCI's, say 7.5-10K.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
You would knowingly choose the Fram over the Purolator made MC filter?

Boy i would hope not.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
You would knowingly choose the Fram over the Purolator made MC filter?

Boy i would hope not.
crazy2.gif

Guys, he said he would use them for his 5k warranty OCIs...I thought just about ANY filter on the market was good for that? I would agree that they may not be suitable for an extended OCI.

I think the real issue here is that although I wouldn't pay FRAM's asking price for a TG (not when I can get a factory-recommended Motorcraft for half that), but when you get a TG for free with an oil purchase, well that's different.

...still wouldn't use one on either of my Marauders, but I'll bet they'd be overkill on the 2 Tauri and the T-bird I maintain for family members.

Yes, I would 'consider' TG over the MC at the same price.

This may be over stated but, as I recall the TG filtration it right up there and 'may' have marginal edge over the FL-820s in this regard. The basic point is it's good filtration.

Of course I would need to consider other aspects of the TG construction and weigh the +/-'s.

So no worry...the price will keep me from doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back