Chevron Supreme Synthetic Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
If to look at PDS data, Chevron Supreme Synthetic oils are very decent product. The manufacturer offers nearly the same products range and, may be, even more attractive prices than Mobil1. Other oils like Delo 400 usually get very good references from end-users. So, what’s the reason that we don’t see a decent number of UOAs here ? Something wrong with the oil or customers’ choice/mentality ?

Please, share your experience with Chevron Supreme Synthetic Oils. Thank you in advance.

Primus,

you dont see them stocked on a lot of shelves here as in synthetics Mobil 1 has nearly all the market share and the rest is cvovered by Costrol.

As a result many Chevron brands here dont have teh presence on stare shelves they deserve.

I would be hard pressed that find the oil at major stores, despite it being a high end oilmfroma world class company.

Fred..
smile.gif

PS: Your english Sir is excellent.

This is particularly odd also because the Corporation (WW HQ, home office) was for YEARS in downtown San Francisco, CA and is currently in San Ramon, CA. Further up the road (Highway 680 in Benicia, Martinez, CA) are the "refineries". The truth is, around the west anyway is you almost have to do a due diligence search for these synthetic products!?

A bit of revisionistic history, but one of the key logistical factors for winning the Pacific theater conflict in WW2 over 60 years ago, was Standard Oil, et al, where the "petro dumps" are still located!
offtopic.gif

[ December 23, 2004, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I've never seen the Chevron synthetic anywhere. I might try it if I could find it. My local Wal Mart is the only place around that sometimes carries the conventional Chevron oils. I don't even have a Chevron gas station withing 100 miles. I like their products and would use more of them if I had access to them.

I can still find Havoline synthetic here at Auto Zone. The Havoline I understand is Identical to the Chevron. I have used it (the havoline) and it is an excellent product. However, given the only incrementally higher price for Mobil 1, on the same shelf....well its kind of difficult for the havoline synthetic to compete in my opinion. In fact, I would venture to guess that Motorcraft will perform just as well over a 6k oci, the interval I would run a g3 OTC synthetic.

quote:

...or customers’ choice/mentality ?

Any lack of popularity is probably due to the method in which this GRP III is marketed. In my area, it is available at Checker/Kragen & priced at $3.99 a quart. Most prospective buyers will generally decide to go with the true PAO synthetic M1, at $4.37 a quart - or less in 5 qt jugs.

I think this is an excellent 5K mile OCI oil, with good cold start qualities and a nice additive package.

If Chevron marketed the oil more in the $3.25 range, on sale occasionally at $2.99, I think the sales volume would easily double!

The Kroger store where I work recently started carrying Chevron full synthetic 10w30 for $3.59/qt. That's a good price, but I am happy with Motorcraft and Havoline dino oils.

Blue99, I think you've nailed it. When I was using havoline syn it was priced at 3.25, Price went up and I moved on. Make that 5k plus on the oci's though! I was running it to 6,000 and some in my f150 pickup. It delivered some excellent fuel economy numbers for me also...some of the best I've seen in that truck (including the 5w20's).

I do like the conventional Chevron Supreme in warmer weather. However last winter I tried Supreme Synthetic 5w30 in my 5.4L Ford. On two seperate days when the temperature was at or below -30F after starting, the oil pressure light stayed on for about 15 seconds and the engine made a clicking noise until the light went out. The previous winter I had started the same vehicle under the same conditions with Mobil1 5w30 and the oil pressure never was a factor. During these starts the vehicle was not plugged in.

Blue99,
Last two days I spent hours trying to find some info about Gr.III use in Supreme Synthetic, but without a real success. But if Chevron gets Flash Point (COC) = 240-250 C with Gr.III, then we have to applaud its chemists.

You guys that can find the Chevron anywhere are lucky. I've nver seen it here in central Illinois other than some 10W-30 at one BP station of all places...

I've posted several Chevron Supreme Synthetic analisis on this board. I have one customer who uses it in all 30 pickups (Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan) and his Land Cruisers. He runs 10,000 km on all of them. Mostly use the 5W-40. We are putting the 5W-30 in a few Expeditions, but haven't analizeed any of them yet.

quote:

However last winter I tried Supreme Synthetic 5w30 in my 5.4L Ford. On two seperate days when the temperature was at or below -30F after starting, the oil pressure light stayed on for about 15 seconds and the engine made a clicking noise until the light went out. The previous winter I had started the same vehicle under the same conditions with Mobil1 5w30 and the oil pressure never was a factor. During these starts the vehicle was not plugged in. | From: fairbanks, alaska

For your winter climate a true Group IV synthetic makes a whole lot of sense. The Chevron Syn appears to be a Group III oil and is not going to give the extreme low temp. performance you are looking for.

I don't bother much with Group IV oils here in Northern California, but I sure would in your neck of the woods! Actually I would probably move. Even Rochester, NY is too cold in the winter for me
cool.gif

John

Distribution and marketing. I have never seen this product, except on the Internet. It's not at the stores. Mobil 1 and Castrol is heavily advertized and available everywhere.

Havoline syn is available and probably the same thing, but no marketing push.

I only gave it one short run oci and my engine didn't like it. I seemed to have pinging, but I didn't give it a chance. Not scientific, I know.

Actually for his climate a 0W makes alot of sense. I would not use a 5W below -22&#176F. Mobil 1 5W has very good cold crank and pump numbers however. If you must use a 5W-30 it is the oil I would use.

Gene

Anyone see Chevron Supreme anywhere? I wish I could find this oil. All there 30wt oils have a flash point of 450F. Viscosity 10.8cst.

quote:

AID Auto Stores
Checkers Auto Parts
Costco
GI Joes
Kragen Auto
O’Reilly Automotive (Texas)
Pep Boys Western US
Schucks
Sam’s (Select locations)
Wal-Mart (Sunbelt and Western U. S.)

Sucks bc I only PepBoy's/Walmart around here and I have never seen it their.

[ February 17, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

If I could find the "blue magic" aka Chevron Supreme Synthetic, around here, I'd be on it like a chicken on a June bug.

Do any Chevron gas stations sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back