2002 Malibu low coolant light

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 Malibu 57k miles with the good old POS 3.1L V6 keeps flashing the low coolant light. I keep adding but its low again in a couple months. Changed the oil yesterday, didnt see water, but then again wouldnt it be under the oil?

Have you had the intake manifold gasket replaced? Any white residue on the tailpipe? My mom's was leaking even though we couldn't see it on the dipstick, the tailpipe was turning white on the tip (burning coolant).

I wouldn't even bother with a UOA. There's about a 95% chance that your intake gaskets are leaking. If it was mine, I'd have them replaced with the new metal Felpro gaskets, then flush the cooling system and refill with G05.

What does it usually cost to replace the gasket? I know the gasket itself is probably $15, but have heard its a ton of work to replace it.

We drove the car a bit last night and the light kept going on and off. Today I pried the overflow cap off and the tank was empty so I put about a quart of distilled H2O in it (its never cold enough to freeze here). What a piece of [censored]. I knew this was going to happen. We have 2 other malibus and a buick with the same engine in the family. I bet it will happen with all of them. But GM sure a sh!t wont recall it because its not a safety issue.

I just changed the oil about a week ago, put maybe 50 miles on it since then. Should I drive some more then try to do a UOA, or is that just a waste of time?

I didnt notice white stuff on the tailpipe, but the last few times I added to the tank it was just distilled water.

It depends, we were able to get the dealership to cover most of it under goodwill (we got lucky). If you don't fix it soon, that engine probably won't last much longer. Taken care of though, from what I understand, they're pretty good motors even with the piston slap.

IVe gotten over the piston slap.

So this metal Felpro gasket will not rot in dexcool like the stock one? And I should do G-05 instead, so who cares then.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
What does it usually cost to replace the gasket? I know the gasket itself is probably $15, but have heard its a ton of work to replace it.

We drove the car a bit last night and the light kept going on and off. Today I pried the overflow cap off and the tank was empty so I put about a quart of distilled H2O in it (its never cold enough to freeze here). What a piece of [censored]. I knew this was going to happen. We have 2 other malibus and a buick with the same engine in the family. I bet it will happen with all of them. But GM sure a sh!t wont recall it because its not a safety issue.

Gasket is around $75, labor is an additional 4-5 hours @ $100/hr probably.

In my mom's case, they had to do an oil change, coolant change, gasket change, and they also had to replace some of the lifters in her engine.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Apparently the OEM GM one has been redesigned as well so you don't necessarily need to go with the metal FelPro one.

Yes, GM redesigned the gasket. It's an improvement, but the redesigned GM gaskets still leak routinely. They're still plastic.

IMO, you'll be much better off with the metal Felpro gasket.

And from what you're describing, you'd better take care of this quickly, or you'll be buying an engine. The gasket kit costs about $75-$100 depending on where you buy it. Most shops will charge you something in the neighborhood of $600-$800 to do the job.

I had a similar issue with our beloved 1993 Mercury Sable ([censored] rest it's soul). I didn't want to put any money in it. My wifes Subaru requires "Coolant Conditioner" which is really just liquid bars leak, at each coolant change. I picked up an extra bottle and put it in the Sable as well. This stopped the head gasket leak though I did have to add a bottle at each coolant change. Got the car through 2 more years til the tranny gave out.

Where can I get the Felpro parts? What is the part number?

IS this set any good, D&S Engines out of Michigan? I have a friend who I will probably have repair the car, and he suggested this gasket set.

Felpro parts can be purchased just about anywhere, but I like RockAuto.com.

Part # MS98003T is $62.79 and comes with the updated intake manifold gaskets and a set of valve cover gaskets. Google for the 5% off coupon code if you buy from Rockauto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back