tilting a lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I have an el cheapo crafstman mower, with a flathead B&S engine. Runs perfect, starts first pull, no smoke or oil use.

However, Ive started to be worried about cleaning the underside of the deck, to prevent buildup, primarily because Im worried about rust.

My issue is this. Tilt the mower on its front wheels, First start afterwards emits a HUGE whitish blue oil burn cloud, and subsequently some black, burned oil comes out the muffler.

Tilt the mower on its side (the side towards the dipstick so theoretically the oil will flow through the dipstick tube and not into the engine), and the same thing happens.

I could tilt it the two other ways, but IMO were seeing a trend. So, question is, how are you really supposed to tilt a mower so that you dont get this influx of oil into the CC, and the resultant huge cloud. I dont recall having this happen on other flathead products we own.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

JMH

My el-cheapo, ten-plus year old Craftsman does the same thing. I just ignore it.

Mine is one of those cheesy B&S engines that don't have a drain-plug - you've got to tip the whole mower over and drain through the dip-stick. Each time I change oil, I get the same big 'ole cloud of yucky smoke.

Runs fine, doesn't foul the plug...

later,
ben

My Honda will do the same thing from time to time. It must depend on which point in the stroke it came to rest. I dump it right over on it's side to clean the underside. Carb side up! Carb down = gas spillage. Only did that once.

Joel

wow, a cheapie that doent have a drain plug?

My Honda GC mini tiller is set up that way, but the engine is tiny - no space. Even a small mower engine has space for a drain.

Glad to know that it isnt just me... thanks for the replies!

JMH

I tilt it back, let likely fuel will spill out as the tank is toward the rear.
Or, to the left, as the fill for gas is on the right end of fuel tank.
If you're worried about the hot engine, wait until it cools.
the dry grass wads are easier to deal with anyway.
My 2¢

I use a 30 dollar oil extractor and evacuate the oil (takes less than five minutes) and then tilt to my hearts content. You can pour simply pour back the oil after you are done cleaning. Of course, you want to make sure your oil extractors plastic tank is somewhat clean.

I recommend the Pela extractor on Amazon.com and other sites. Worth every penny for mowers, my ATV, my car, etc.

My Victa has a qantum engine.

If I tip it to the right (when looked at from behind)it floods. To the left is ok, because the dipstick seals well. Forward (like my Mrs. did, and oil gets past the rings and saturates the air filter, giving the appearance of a blown motor.

Tip it to the left (dipstick side) to drain the oil.

I started cleaning my deck when the engine is cold. It really cut down the size of the smoke cloud on startup. It's really nothing to worry about.

I have the $99 cheapie and there is a drain plug under the deck! One gets it with a 3/8" socket drive. Have to dig off the grass to find it.

Instructions say you can either use this plug or, when it's out of gas, tip it over.

One winter the wife rearranged the lean-to, and mower sat on two wheels, spark plug facing down, all winter. Even 30 weight will eventually ooze by the rings and seals.
grin2.gif
On first rope pull was hydro-locked. Pulled spark plug and pulled the starter rope again. Checked oil, was more or less adequate, so I cleaned the plug, put it back, made a smoke show, and got on with life, none the worse for wear.
cheers3.gif

I change the oil on my lawn mower by draining it out of the fill hole.It is 10 years old and the engine runs great the chassis has more welding and reinforceing then I would like to admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back