2007 Accord V6 5AT ATF change intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 3 qt. ATF change every 30K is way way under maintaining your trainy. I would recommend a drain and refill at least in 15k and then do a UOA to see where you stand. You are probably looking at more like 15k drain and refills to keep it nice inside. But, if you want to take your chances, it is your car. At the most you are going to pay about $9 a quart x 3 = $27 in ATF. Is that too much to pay every 15K? What is a tank of gasoline these days?

And what ever you do. Don't touch the little OEM full-flow filter in the return line. It filters better when dirty.
LOL.gif

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
And what ever you do. Don't touch the little OEM full-flow filter in the return line. It filters better when dirty.
LOL.gif

Joel

The filter just serves its purpose during break-in anyway, from what I've been told.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The filter just serves its purpose during break-in anyway, from what I've been told.

I'd have to disagree with that. Some Ody owners have cut them open to find quite of bit of debris in there. These filters actually do some filtering. OEM procedure for ~1999-2002 Odyssey trans replacement was to add an inline filter. ~2003+ come with one mounted on the case.

Joel

Yes, when doing a replacement of a tranny. You can change the inline filter otherwise, there is no way of changing just the inline filter without removing the whole tranny. It goes the same with '97-'01 CR-Vs also. There is no recommendation of changing the inline trans filter for regular maintainence.

Originally Posted By: ludey
.. there is no way of changing just the inline filter without removing the whole tranny. It goes the same with '97-'01 CR-Vs also. There is no recommendation of changing the inline trans filter for regular maintainence.

You are partially correct. The current CRV AT does not have an external filter. However the rest of the Honda line does. It's either an inline style like on the Civic and older Odysseys (looks like a fuel filter, or a replaceable 'paper' element that slides into an external housing on the trans case (~2006+ Accord, Ody, RL,etc) Being on the cooler return line, I don't see why you would not want to change it if you do regular ATF swaps.

Joel

Last edited:
Critic, feel free to answer questions by the post starters and directed to YOU.

Who is spreading misinformation? Reread my post and get over yourself. So you're saying that suspending clutch material is the reason EVERY TRANSMISSION HAS DARK FLUID????? Seems to be a ton of clutch wear out there causing much failures! I guess that those ATF temp/life/mileage charts are all meaningless.

Up to 120k doesn't answer the question what the owner has either? You're not the owner so don't answer a question specific to his purchase. I brought the question up since 60k initial and 30k thereafter is technical mumbo jumbo from a maintenance point of view. 60k initial and all future 60k makes sense. 30k initial and all future 30k intervals makes sense. The sudden shorter intervals after the 5/60k expires is interesting. Or, the extra ATF maintenance is needed to make it past the extended higher cost warranty options. Maintenance intervals and warranties are heavily driven by the marketing department.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Who is spreading misinformation? Reread my post and get over yourself. So you're saying that suspending clutch material is the reason EVERY TRANSMISSION HAS DARK FLUID????? Seems to be a ton of clutch wear out there causing much failures! I guess that those ATF temp/life/mileage charts are all meaningless.

They are. Most of them are off by at least 20F. There are many reasons why the fluid could be dark. It could be suspending the contaminants, friction material, or it could simply be the dye is not permanent.

I brought the question up since 60k initial and 30k thereafter is technical mumbo jumbo from a maintenance point of view. 60k initial and all future 60k makes sense. 30k initial and all future 30k intervals makes sense. The sudden shorter intervals after the 5/60k expires is interesting. Or, the extra ATF maintenance is needed to make it past the extended higher cost warranty options. Maintenance intervals and warranties are heavily driven by the marketing department.

The intervals are probably shortened because you only change out a portion of the fluid each time. Either that, or factory fill is different than the service fill.

Just admit it, you are stuck with an "old school" mentality when it comes to servicing. You simply will not accept that drain intervals have lengthened significantly over time. At the very least, you should at least acknowledge that these fluids can last this long, but you are not comfortable running them for their rated life. Instead, you resort to making bogus statements suggesting that OEMs do not do any fluid testing and let the marketing department set the service interval, which is absolute baloney.

Quote:
Just admit it, you are stuck with an "old school" mentality when it comes to servicing. You simply will not accept that drain intervals have lengthened significantly over time.

First off, unDummy has made posts regarding fluids lasting longer, but he was talking about Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Redline. You simply will not accept that non-OEM fluids are better than the OEM "approved" bulls***.

unDummy vs. The Critic threads are fun as f*** to read, so keep it up.

Maintenance intervals and warranties are heavily driven by the marketing department.

True, to a point. The marketing department still has to take conclusions from the engineering departments, which should be based on raw data, to come up with numbers to come up with what they say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
A 3 qt. ATF change every 30K is way way under maintaining your trainy. I would recommend a drain and refill at least in 15k and then do a UOA to see where you stand. You are probably looking at more like 15k drain and refills to keep it nice inside. But, if you want to take your chances, it is your car. At the most you are going to pay about $9 a quart x 3 = $27 in ATF. Is that too much to pay every 15K? What is a tank of gasoline these days?

Just food for thought.

If what you're saying is true, then I suspect that we'd be seeing Honda tranny's dropping like fly's and a high failure rate, as I suspect that a majority of car owner's are not as, dare I say, fanatical about our cars/vans fluids?

Since the "average Joe" probably isn't as fanatical, most likely they'd be following mfr (Honda) recommendations or the MID. With the exception of the previous gen Odyssey and I think the previous gen Accord for a few years (as far as I know) which had tranny issues, I don't think there have been any widespread tranny failures in Hondas. So, it lends to me saying that as long as you follow mfr recommendations or the MID, you should be OK.

However, I for one, have followed mfr's recommendations on our 96 Accord (108,000 miles)and will over-maintain our 06 Odyssey (21000 miles) and will be changing the tranny fluid within the next 2-4 weeks, just to be sure...

Last edited:
Quote:
If what you're saying is true, then I suspect that we'd be seeing Honda tranny's dropping like fly's and a high failure rate, as I suspect that a majority of car owner's are not as, dare I say, fanatical about our cars/vans fluids?
Maybe they are dropping like flies. Two out of two friends who own 2000-2002 Acura CL or TL had early transmission failures. Both before the first recommended ATF change interval. More than half of 99-04 Odyssey owners I know well have had transmission failures. My 2002 Odyssey failed at 72K after too frequent 10K mile ATF changes with Z1 and no towing. Dropping like flies? Maybe dropping like Hondas.
Quote:
Since the "average Joe" probably isn't as fanatical, most likely they'd be following mfr (Honda) recommendations or the MID. With the exception of the previous gen Odyssey and I think the previous gen Accord for a few years (as far as I know) which had tranny issues, I don't think there have been any widespread tranny failures in Hondas.
Accord, TL, CL, Odyssey, MDX are on the problem list. Also, my only friend with the MDX is on his third AT 170K miles. 2002 model. Takes it to dealer for routine maintenance by the owners manual.
Quote:
So, it lends to me saying that as long as you follow mfr recommendations or the MID, you should be OK.
My vehicle was not OK. Frequent ATF changes did not save my Odyssey. Could have saved time and money by doing less. My Fords and Chryslers cost less to maintain and repair than my Honda. Definitely less transmission failures.

Originally Posted By: momomeister
Originally Posted By: Cooper

Just food for thought.

Since the "average Joe" probably isn't as fanatical, most likely they'd be following mfr (Honda) recommendations or the MID. With the exception of the previous gen Odyssey and I think the previous gen Accord for a few years (as far as I know) which had tranny issues, I don't think there have been any widespread tranny failures in Hondas. So, it lends to me saying that as long as you follow mfr recommendations or the MID, you should be OK.

However, I for one, have followed mfr's recommendations on our 96 Accord (108,000 miles)and will over-maintain our 06 Odyssey (21000 miles) and will be changing the tranny fluid within the next 2-4 weeks, just to be sure...

They have been dropping like flies for years. Just look at the lawsuits...

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

It is horrible to loose a trans on a vehicle under ~10yrs old, but at least Honda picks up most, if not all the tab.

Joel

Originally Posted By: thrace
Quote:
Maybe they are dropping like flies. Two out of two friends who own 2000-2002 Acura CL or TL had early transmission failures. Both before the first recommended ATF change interval. More than half of 99-04 Odyssey owners I know well have had transmission failures. My 2002 Odyssey failed at 72K after too frequent 10K mile ATF changes with Z1 and no towing. Dropping like flies? Maybe dropping like Hondas.
Quote:
Since the "average Joe" probably isn't as fanatical, most likely they'd be following mfr (Honda) recommendations or the MID. With the exception of the previous gen Odyssey and I think the previous gen Accord for a few years (as far as I know) which had tranny issues, I don't think there have been any widespread tranny failures in Hondas.
Accord, TL, CL, Odyssey, MDX are on the problem list. Also, my only friend with the MDX is on his third AT 170K miles. 2002 model. Takes it to dealer for routine maintenance by the owners manual.
Quote:
So, it lends to me saying that as long as you follow mfr recommendations or the MID, you should be OK.
My vehicle was not OK. Frequent ATF changes did not save my Odyssey. Could have saved time and money by doing less. My Fords and Chryslers cost less to maintain and repair than my Honda. Definitely less transmission failures.

You're right about the CL & TL. I totally forgot about those. As I stated, there were failure's of the Ody and the Accord. On the other end, how about the Civic, Ridgeline, CRV, Integra, RSX, TSX, RL, Legend, etc? I have a 96 Accord and had a 97 Civic and have followed mfr recommendations, without problem.

IMHO, the models/generations you mentioned had design flaws, so even if you over-maintained them, they could fail, which occurred in your case. There isn't much you could have done.

Last edited:

It is horrible to loose a trans on a vehicle under ~10yrs old, but at least Honda picks up most, if not all the tab.

Joel

True. Even so when/if mine goes I'm taking it to the old shop I worked at in my young days, doing the R&R myself, and having it properly rebuilt by the excellent owner/builder. I know this is totally off topic but I have absolutely no faith in dealerships and "rebuilt" transmissions from an unknown origin.

Joel

Agreed. The number of failure's appear to show a design flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back