Problematic 2.5 L- QR25DE Nissan engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominik
Well, I've heard that the recall was to prevent further issues. That means I could have already had the damage done and not known about it. The intake butterfly screw could have been the cause of the crater in the cat as well????? Too many variables with a poor design to peg it right.

Cyprs
Nissan Canada should have sent you a letter telling you of any recalls that need to be done on your car based on VIN# It's possible they have already been done, or you didn't get the letter yet.
If the cat is deteriorated they may or may not replace your engine. I can't answer that. Nissan Canada has been clamping down on engine replacements to keep costs in check. You may have to meet several criteria for that to happen. Keep documents of all work done and watch for oil consumption. Good luck, I hope Nissan treats you right and makes you happy. Otherwise... defect, and buy a Honda like I'm going to next time. I'll NEVER buy a first year car with new unproven motors and technology again. That is my 2cents!
grin.gif

Nissan has there issues, but honda isent trouble free either. Acura tls and accords and oddessys have had many transmission issues. Honda makes great cars but they have there own problems to.

Exactly Luvs2drive, if I go buy a Honda or Toyota I will scurge the earth on info on every aspect of any perspective vehicle I plan to buy rather than doing it after the big investment as now with this Altima. And I will not buy a new designed engine till proven too, It was my understanding the 2.5 was just a bored out 2.4, I had the 2.4 and it was proven in my research then and it seemed sound so I didn't think Nissan could screw up the 2.5 with a larger reboring of the 2.4, NOT. Have no notification from Nissan yet on recall.

I like everything about this 03 Altima, the engine has me concerned now, hope to get through it, my greatest fear is taking this QR25DE to dealership and never know if my engine is damaged or not if they are not honest with me and just tell me what they think I want to hear.
I will post Nissan America's response on my questons. thanks

I will keep the tranny problems on Hondas in mind Anthony, thanks.

thanks,
Cyprs

Exactly Luv2drive, I agree on research,(I will do my research prior to buying rather than on recalls etc after investments), I will buy proven products.

I hope to get this engine issue resolved on this Altima, I hope I get true honesty from Dealership, my greatest fear is Nissan telling me only what they think I want to hear after opening this cat up.

Thanks Anthony, will keep the Honda issues in mind if it comes to looking for another Import. I like Nissan, driven Nissan 26 years, I just cant possibly buy 3 new Nissans in a 4 year term, the first one was a lemon, I am on my second Altima in continued faith now in 3 years, that is my limit for Nissan or any company that fails me twice.

thanks,
Cyprs

Sorry about the triple posts, I was getting fatal errors on all these posts, they would not go through, the error bulletin stated that the posts did not have premission and did not transmit. I now tried a repost this evening hours later only to find all efforts did go through, dont know how? Anyway, I was only posting once.

Thanks

I see only a few posts on Altimas.net about the butterfly valve screws. They were not very comprehensive. Is there a howto somewhere on these? If not, which sections of the (rather unhelpful) service manual should I check? The "enthusiast" support on this car is much less than that for Volkswagens (but less necessary, as well). My 5/60 powertrain warranty will be up in 10,000 miles and I would like to be sure my car isn't affected by this problem (which may or may not fall under the guise of the powertrain warranty). Thanks!

Grey area, warrantee, I have 75,000 kms or 40,000 miles left on powertrain, 35,000 kms full comprehensive and I am worried here with Nissan Canada, Nissan America seems more customer responsible (friendly) than our Nissan here, I have had my car in my local dealership numerous times in last 1.5 years ownership of this 03 Altima and Nissan Canada has not contacted me on Cat recall either. I find Nissan Canada's silence very suspicious, thanks to this forum I am educated and found these problems while in warrantee timeline rather than too late.

I always thought anything inside of block of engine is warranteed on powertrain, I may be wrong. Posts in here say to remove the intake screws and locktite them down, I dont know the torque. Luvs2drive or Drivehard probably could tell you how to do this.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back