Cheat sheet for newbies reading UOA's

I am trying to interpret UOA's. I get info through others comments but like most newbies I don't know alot and get confused by certain elements etc. So I typed this up for all to print out and have next to them for guidance. To be added/edited as we all see fit.

Mods please move if this is inappropriate for this particular forum.

WEAR METAL SOURCES

IRON……….CYLINDERS, GEARS, RINGS, CRANKSHAFTS, LINERS, BEARINGS, HOUSINGS, RODS, and PLATINGS

CHROMIUM……………..RINGS,ROLLER/TAPER BEARINGS, RODS, PLATINGS

LEAD……….BEARING OVERLAYS, ADDITIVES IN GEAR OIL AND GASOLINE

COPPER…………………BUSHINGS, BEARINGS, THRUST WASHERS, FRICITION PLATES, OIL COOLERS, ADDITIVE IN OIL

TIN………………………………….BEARINGS, BUSHINGS, PISTONS, PLATINGS

ALUMINUM………PISTONS, BEARINGS, PUMPS, BLOWERS, ROTORS, THRUST WASHERS

NICKEL……………………………………………………………………VALVES

SILVER………………………………………….BEARINGS,BUSHINGS,PLATING

MANGANESE……….TRACE ELEMENTS IN LINERS AND RINGS, ADDITIVE IN GASLOLINE.

TITANIUM……………………………………………………….TRACE ELEMENT

VANADIUM……………………………………………………..TRACE ELEMENT

CONTANIMENTS & SOURCES

SILICON…………………………………….ELEMENT USED TO DETERMINE THE LEVEL OF AIRBORNE DIRT AND ABRASIVES IN THE OIL.(SOMETIMES USED AS AN ANTI-FOAM AGENT)

BORON………………………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEMS INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE)

SODIUM………………………………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEM INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE)

POTASSIUM………….PRESENT IN MOST PERMANENT ANTI-FREEZE SYSTEMS AND COOLING SYSTEM INHIBITORS (SOMETIMES USED AS AN ADDITIVE IN GEAR OIL)

ADDITIVES AND THEIR FUNCTION

MAGNESIUM……………………….DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE

CALCIUM………………………….. DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE

BARIUM………………………….. DISPERSENT/DETERGENT ADDITIVE.

PHOSPHORUS…………………………………..….ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

ZINC……………………………………………….…. ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

MOLBDENUM………………………………….…… ANTI-WEAR ADDITIVE

FUEL DILUTION = UNBURNED FUEL IN THE OIL MAY SIGNAL FUEL SYSTEM LEAKS OR INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION.

FUEL SOOT = A RESULT IN INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION OR BLOW-BY. HIGH DRAIN LEVELS AMY INDICATES COMBUSTION PROBLEMS OR OVEREXTENDED DRAIN INTERVALS.

VISCOSITY = THE KINEMATIC VISCOSITY DETERMINED AT 40°C AND/OR 100°C IS A MEASURE OF THE FLOW RATE OF AN OIL IN RELATION TO TIME. THIS DATA IS USED TO ASSIGN AN SAE GRADE TO OIL.

SAE GRADE…………….MIN-cST-100°………………MAX-Cst

10w……………………4.10………………………….xx

20w………………………..5.60……………………….9.29

30w…………………………9.30……………………..…12.49

40w……………………….12.50……………………………16.29

50w………………………..16.30………………………………21.89

Awesome- great for those who are up on their UOA knowlege, but like who need a quick reference once in a while.

So, to help out an oil-dork, what should the numbers be for a multi-vis, say, RTS 5-40?
54.gif

For Admin, would it be possible to update the above info with oxidation, nitration and sulfation? This one specifically for myself, just a reference of the numbers on what is high and low. But also for others.
I know one way they are measured is using a spectrometer with how much infrared light is absorbed by the products of oxidation, nitration, sulfation, but not what is acceptable, high and low. Some uoa's also are coming through with just the number...Blackstone usually has perameters/guidelines, but some don't.

I also wanted to request "condemnation" limits, or at least numbers at which we should start wondering.

TBN explanation would be nice too!!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You missed Antimony - used by some oils in their add-pack; I think it's an anti-oxidant?

Not that many labs test for Antimony. I have seen Amsoil's OAI testing and Polaris show it in there UOA reports. I thinks Schaeffer's uses Antimony as a high pressure additive.

Boron is basically an anti-oxidant Has some anti-wear in different cases. You won't see a decent group I oil without it, but it can often be left out of group II, group III, or traditional synthetics.

Here is one of the most complete wear metals charts I've seen in a while
Wear Metals guide in PDF

I like the report, Im gonna get a degree in chemistry someday. Im glad someone out there knows how to make all those elements stay together for 500k miles. Me, I just want it to run right, bottom line. amen

One more thing. A lot more engines are being assembled these days with Moly rings. Ring wear will show up as or with the moly that might be used as an antiwear/antioxidant.

Condemnation limits vary per engine and engine construction. Those that are published (CAT, Cummins, Detroit, etc.) are extremely high and not close to what is obtainable.

Back