Moment of Truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul, its appalling that a network can do a show like this knowing well beforehand that its going to put a strain on a lot of marriages. Anyone that goes on that show will come back with some trust issues between them and its downhill from there.

Yes that woman is a big time Wh*$#. She's 24 going on 14. She loves attention. Probably one reason she decided she wanted to do the show.

Such shows exist because people watch them. No audience, it goes away. I've only heard the commercials on the radio, that's the first clip I've ever seen. Looks stupid, but there are plenty of stupid shows on TV. Why the Fox bagging?

You blame the show for that messed up marriage? Wow.

Ofcourse people will watch these shows because as a society we always want to laugh at other people and their problems while never looking in the mirror and evaluating our own skeletons. There needs to be a committee formed where they can evaluate if a reality show is detrimental to the people participating after the show is over. In this case it clearly is affecting these people's lives after the show. Even if they divorce, who knows if the guy is not scarred for life and may never look at another woman the same way and may also need psychological therapy.

Reality circus fills the needs of people not to feel as bad as they really feel.

As evidenced by her response and shock at the final question. "I know I'm bad, but not as bad as I could, be therefore I'm good".

IMO, these shows, and all "reality TV" is sensationalist garbage.

However, psychologists are having a field day. They cannot ethically carry out these experiments (like they used to do in the 60s and 70s). People sign a waver, get monetary gain, and it's a free for all.

They can (within a tiny amount of) reason do anything to these people, and legally it's voluntary.

Psychs watch the show, and all of the unshown film, and are loving it.

I think that she may have been wanting to either end it, or diminish her husband, and thought this was a good way of getting her goal, a few bucks, and some publicity.

and the final question nailed it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Why the Fox bagging?

After Faux sacking the journos for wanting to tell the truth, I thought that you drew a clear line between Faux News and Faux Entertainment...and Faux Entertainment was fair game.

This surely isn't the news is it ?
grin2.gif

Maybe some people will look at this and realize you cannot lie to yourself.

You may be able to lie to your spouse and others, but you are unable to lie to yourself.

I'm glad she didn't win the money. Too bad about exposing herself on TV. It's probably better for the marriage that the truth is out there. Should it have been revealed on TV? Probably not. However, hiding her unfaithfulness and her beliefs that this other guy, not her husband, should have been her husband should be known to her husband.

Maybe she will grow up and realize she made a vow, and has to work on that vow.

Maybe he will see her for who she really is, and if she doesn't shape up, he can divorce her in good faith, given her broadcast admission of unfaithfulness.

After having experienced an unfaithful wife, I'd advise him to put it all out on the table, tell her what kind of marriage he wants, ask her if she is willing to do that, ask what she wants, and if she doesn't want to do the work, she is free to leave with what she brought into the marriage.

Marriage is work. It's not all hearts and butterflies in the stomach or good looks. It's about being there, willing to work with your spouse. It's not about being a doormat, or a thug, it's about loving someone.

Sometimes, the most loving thing we can say is I will not tolerate being treated this way any longer.

Such shows exist because people watch them. No audience, it goes away. I've only heard the commercials on the radio, that's the first clip I've ever seen. Looks stupid, but there are plenty of stupid shows on TV. Why the Fox bagging?

In the Pablo world no corporation is ethically responsible for anything, ever. It is always "the peoples fault".

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

In the Pablo world no corporation is ethically responsible for anything, ever. It is always "the peoples fault".

I never said that. Please don't put words in my mouth. The show is mirror of the "anything goes" world. "Corporations" are just as unethical as the people who make them up.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
But who are in the positions of power in this "anything goes" world? And who are in the position of prey?

People with ability are generally in power. They are not ALL corrupt if that's what you are implying.

Prey? People allow themselves to be prey. People who see themselves as victims. People who hope for and seek salvation from man's institutions. People who don't attempt to achieve.

TMW,

I think you insult the populace by calling them prey. It's an elitist position you present.

No one forces anyone to watch these shows. There are no jack-booted thugs that hold assault rifles, ensuring the general public watch what they are programmed to watch.

People choose this.

The powerful as you call them are no more or less ethically challenged than the society that enables them to have power.

It's Rome all over again. Only instead of a bloodbath in the Collusium it's stuff like this.

I don't think you can say one is worse than the other. It takes both parts for it to happen.

Those in power derive their power from those who allow them to have the power. It's that audience tuning in that give them the power. No audience, no advertisers, no power.

It's not so simple that you can blame just one element.

You have people like this woman and her family and friends willing to "go public."

You have people willing to watch.

You have people willing to produce and broadcast the show.

They all play their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back