Prestone "Flush N Fill" kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you ever used the Prestone coolant system flush kit? It is time for the wife's car to have a coolant flush, and considering "quick lube" and dealer prices, I picked one of these kits up at the auto parts store. I haven't installed it yet, but it seems it would make the whole process easier and yield the same results. It would also allow me to fill the system with distilled water, instead of the tap that the service places use, and insure that the car is running so the the heater core is properly flushed. I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this type of item. Thanks for any info!

Good for you for taking the initiative to do it yourself! I would not trust the quick lube guys at all (blanket statement I know). I have used this kit on several cars and it works fine.

I don't use it anymore as I just let the car warm up with heater on and then flush. Then repeat until runs totally clear. If you have an engine block drain and a radiator drain it is helpful to open up both at the same time.

I would also suggest that when you refill you premix the distilled water and antifreeze.

This is very important on many (most) cars: after refilling you need to bleed air from the system (this prevents hotspots in the heads, etc.). You can either: (1) open the air vent on the coolant expansion tank (if it has one), (2) put the radiator cap in the vent position (if it has one), or leave the cap off the expansion tank/radiator and run it for a while. Either way I would rev it and hold for a while at say 2000 rpms with the vent(s) open to get things flowing well. If you have a car with an unusual radiator system such as Toyota MR2 (engine in back radiators in front), there may be several air bleeders you need to open to get rid of all the air. I had a volvo that I had to bleed over and over until it finally got the air out of the system (watch the return flow going into the expansion tank for air).

I used to use them back in the day. I think they're worth while. The hardest part for me was determining which heater hose to tap into.

I don't know how effective back flushing is. But I think it's better than pushing the radiator debris further into the cooling system.

Problem is that it is more likely to get a hose leak/failure at the place where you tap into. Happened to me many years ago. I wouldn't use one. Just change out coolant out more often. Not sure a flush is a good idea bc you will flush with tap water. And some will stay in.

Better to use Distilled/RO water with fill drain.

+1 on the leaking tee,but it usually takes awhile.I use a garden hose with a long brass nozzle and just take off a heater hose.Works on most cars.Problem with most cars{minivans esp} is getting an airlock.I use an airlift system for most home flushes,saves me the two hours of having to flush,bleed,etc,and any unpleasent surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back