Firestone Winterforce tires and road noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some positive comments about the Winterforce tires on here. One question though.... This looks like it would be a noisy tire. My commute is all highway, 45 mi one way. This tire looks like it would scream on the highway. I don't mind a little noise, as one has to make some concessions when running winter tires. I just don't want something that sounds like a monster mudder.

For those of you using this tire, do you find the noise level acceptable? Thanks!

I commute 50 miles one way with the Winterforce on my Corolla and while the tires are louder than OEM stock tires, they are still quiet IMO.

The only time that they are loud is on a stretch of pavement that the stock tires are also loud (worn concrete) and if I operate out of the groove that the semis make, both set of tires are quieter.

They are very good tires in the snow and on ice I'd give them good.

The difference between them and the OEM are major.

Take care, Bill

I had the Winterforce tires on my RMS. 235/70/15. They IMO are no more louder than the BFG all terrian T/A KOs on my ranger, and they're fairly quiet.

Matt

Thanks a lot, guys. I live in Central PA, and winters are fairly mild. Do these tires do OK in dry and wet conditions? Again, I realize that they will not handle like a performance tire, but I want to be sure they are capable and prvide a confident feeling for 70 mph highway driving in the rain and on dry roads.

BTW... these would be for my 2005 Chevy Colorado 2 wheel drive pick-up.

I drive up to 75 mph with the snow tires when its dry.

They are great tires in the rain. Dry conditions they are good. Never had to drive in 100 degree temps so no report for that. Up to 70 degrees never a problem.

Bill

I'm well satisfied with the studded 265/70-17 Winterforce's on my '07 Expedition. Definitely noisier than the OEM Pirelli Scorpions, but, here in Somerset County we can get some pretty nasty winters (200" yearly snowfall totals are not unheard of), although THIS winter hasn't been anything like that (70 degrees today
banana2.gif
).

The mostly rural roads around here typically do not lend themselves to 70 MPH speeds, so I can't speak to that, but I've never had a problem with 'em under any conditions encountered so far, rain, shine, snow, or ice.

I should note that my Winterforce tires are NOT studded.

Studs for as many miles as I drive unless its on ICE/Snow would not be pleasant. (I've had studs before on my 2 wheel drive F150, diff brand tire and they were not worth it IMO.. IE.. Noise and dry/rain performance suffers with studs)

Take care, bill

Any snow or all-terrain tire will cause tire noise, because of the aggressive tread. Its one of the trade off's you have to put up with to get the increased traction.

Quiet studded tires I've owned: BFG Winter Slaloms, Cooper WeatherMasters, and Cooper Discoverer M+S.

Studded tires that howled like a banshee (on friends' vehicles): Hankook Ipike RW07, Wintermark Magna Grip (Walmart).

Well, I went ahead and got a set of Winterforce tires on order.

These will be replacing my Cooper WeatherMaster S/T2 winter tires that are nearing the end of their third season w/ ~20k miles on them. Tread depth is down around 7/32", so snow performance has fallen off. They have been GREAT winter tires... long life, quiet, good in the snow when newer, and good for all other conditions. I would have bought them again, but I had a hard time finding a source for a set of these at a price competitive with the Winterforce.

I will be very happy if the Winterforce tires perform as well as the Cooper (in all conditions) and last as long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back