Honda Genuine 5w-20 Oil, reformulated and different in color now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I changed my oil in my Civic last Saturday with Honda Genuine 5w-20 oil. When I started to pour in my 3rd quart, I noticed that it didnt look the same as the usual maple syrup color that I'm used to. Instead it looked more like vegatable oil in color. Concerned, I called my dealer and asked. The gal who's been there for over 4 years said that she didnt know of any TSB that Honda had reformulated their oil.

The actual oil poured our faster which means to me that it was thinner... I'm sure it'll be fine but was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Makes me wonder if Honda substitutes their supply every once in awhile or if its going to be the new formula..

Thanks for any replies.

Didn't Honda oil have tons of Moly?
dunno.gif
If the color has changed, so has the Moly.
frown.gif

Honda 5w20 is the same as Exxon Superflo....and its a steal for 89 cents and has lots of moly. This oil is very good and I no longer use Mobil 1 in my wife's Honda.

All oils are being reformulated to meet the new GF-4 spec. This is not a subject for a TSB.

Honda may change their oil supplier from time to time. No big deal. Maybe they buy from ExxonMobil one year and from ConocoPhillips the next year...or Shell or ChevronTexaco or Coastal or Warren. It all meets Honda's spec. All 5W-20 and 0W-20 oils meet Honda's spec to the best of my knowledge. I'd as soon buy an oil with a brand name that has shown excellent used oil analyses.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back