Dexron III works better the Nissan Matic-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed fluid after trans was shifting a little harsh. This time I used Super Tech type Dexron III from Walmart. Shifts better then ever now. This change was at 50K miles on Nissan Sentra 1.6 liter.

The Nissan dealer parts guys were acting like I was crazy when I bought Nissan Matic-D from them on my first change at 30K. They kept saying, "you know you can use Dexron III and it's alot cheaper" I said I really want to go with what's reccommended in my manual and bought it anyway. A gallon of SuperTech costs less then a quart of Nissan.

The oil was still very clean looking at both changes.

I must say the experience will be short lived, after 10K miles it will begin to suck big time, the gear hunting and gear banging will come back when the fluid has sheared.

Actually, DexronIII performs below OEM fluid becoz it does not have the right FM levels. The dealer is partly right, I wouldn't go so far to say DexronIII is a substitute for MaticD.

Someone on this forum documented the Sentra's tranny is brutal on the fluid.

You should be using DexronVI. The DexronIII fluids are no longer licensed and you really don't know what you are buying.

Dex III is a substitute for Matic-D. You can use the new updated DEXRON but make sure it's backwards compatible with DEX III.

Maxlife ATF is compatible with Matic-D, something for you to look into as a relatively inexpensive alternative.

Yep, a full synth or blend would be a smart choice, especially since your maintenance schedule is nothing to brag about.

I would minimally use a multivehicle or Mercon-V fluid.

Shorter intervals on cheaper fluid is a must.

Was this a flush or just a drain/refill?

Also, you should NOT wait until the shift is harsh. You should pick a mileage or time based interval to 'prevent' that transmission wear.

Nissans have drainplugs. Pulling it once or twice a year is cheap/easy and should prevent all those shifting issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back