Grease for Scag mower deck spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. The owners manual says to grease the mower spindles with Mobilix #2, or Timken Lithium Multi-Use #2, or Shell Alvania #2, or Lidok EP#2. I have never heard of these and they are not stocked at my local parts stores. Are these greases anything special, or are there other brands that are equivilant to these. I have no problem with going out, hunting down and buying one of these particular greases, but not if the grease I currently have in my grease guns is acceptable. I currently have 2 grease guns I always used on my vehicles and other mowers. One has Lucas Xtra heavy duty(green in color), and the other has Lucas Red n Tacky(Red in color). I always used the green on everything like tie rod ends, pivot points and any slow moving parts, and used the red grease on the mower spindles and driveshaft u joints. In the past I always used the Mystic JT-6 before I started using the Lucas. I used the regular JT-6 on the slow moving parts, and used the JT-6 high temp(red) on deck spindles. The only reason I switched to Lucas over the Mystic was because the supplier I got the Mystic from went out of business and the new store I buy from sells Lucas products. Does anybody have any opinions on these 4 greases my Scag manual refers to and is there anything special about them over the Lucas greases?

Originally Posted By: scottm1
I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. The owners manual says to grease the mower spindles with Mobilix #2, or Timken Lithium Multi-Use #2, or Shell Alvania #2, or Lidok EP#2. (snip) I currently have 2 grease guns I always used on my vehicles and other mowers. One has Lucas Xtra heavy duty(green in color), and the other has Lucas Red n Tacky(Red in color). (snip) Does anybody have any opinions on these 4 greases my Scag manual refers to and is there anything special about them over the Lucas greases?

Well, let's see what they are recommending by looking at the product data sheets:

Shell Alvania 2 has been discontinued. See:
Shell Avania 2 Discontinued

The above notes that Shell Alvania RL 2 is the replacement from Shell. The RL 2 data sheet follows:
Alvania RL Product Data

The data sheet notes that they are really nothing special, just a lithium soap thickened non-EP grease:

Quote:
Shell Alvania® Greases RL 2 and 3 are smooth-textured, amber colored, non-EP, lithium soap thickened greases. These greases are also inhibited with additives that promote long service life and provide excellent lubrication and corrosion protection. Alvania Greases RL are excellent as general plant and electric motor bearing lubricants. Shell Alvania® Grease RL 2 is readily pumpable in pressure grease dispensing systems.

The Timken grease also seem to be nothing special, just a lithium soap non-EP grease:
Timken Lithium Grease Product Data

Quote:
Timken Multi-Use Lithium grease is a lithium soap thickened lubricating grease. It is fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors for protection and good service life. Timken Multi-Use Lithium grease is excellent for a variety of applications where extreme pressure is not required. Typical properties are listed below.

Lidok is also being discontinued:
Lidok Discontinued

But again, Beacon EP is nothing really special. This time it is an EP grease, but still lithium soap:
Beacon EP Product Data

Quote:
Exxon Beacon EP greases are premium quality general-purpose greases with anti-wear and extreme pressure properties. Beacon EP grades are formulated with paraffinic mineral oil base fluids, and thickened with lithium soap. Additives are present to control against rust and oxidation, and to provide protection against wear under loads common to general industrial service.

I saved the Mobilux for last, as all I can find are data sheets for Mobilux EP, which may or may not be the same thing.
Mobilux EP Product Data

Again, nothing special, lithium-soap EP grease:

Quote:
Mobilux EP 0, 1, 2, 3, 460, 004 and 023 products are a high performance family of five general-purpose industrial greases and two special-duty semi-fluid greases. These lithium hydroxystearate greases are formulated to provide extra protection against wear, rusting and water washout. They are available in NLGI grades ranging from 00 to 3, with base oil viscosities ISO VG 150, 320 and 460.

Now lets look at the Lucas products:

Lucas Extra-Heavy is a little different than the above - it's polyurea thickened, but is NGLI #2. I was fearing it might be thicker than 2:
Lucas Extra-Heavy Grease Data

But it notes that its NGLI 2, so this should work. Only problem may be compatibility with existing grease in the spindle, but the data sheet says its compatible with other greases.

Lucas Red-n-Tacky is a lithium-type EP grease. The only thing that gives me pause is that I don't see in the data sheet where it says its NGLI 2:
Lucas Red-n-Tacky Grease Data

Another thing that gives me pause about the Red-n-Tacky is that in my experience, it seems to be fibrous - hence the "tacky" part. There have been others here that don't recommend a fibrous grease for ball/roller-bearing applications, as it increases bearing temperatures and friction as the grease gets pulled back into the cage and has to be mechanically pumped out. This may be an old wives tale.

Do you know if your mower spindles are ball bearing or are they just plain sleeve bearings?

If plain sleeve, I'd use the Red. The Green, while NGLI 2, seems to me to be more appropriate for lower speed use. If ball, I'd probably buy Mobil 1 synthetic at the local auto parts emporium and use it.

Recently I did pack my trailer bearings with "Green Grease" (not a Lucas product) that did pretty well. If ball and you're going to switch from Lucas, I'd try the Mobil 1 or Green Grease. Might also try Amsoil greases.

later,
b

Lucas red if you want to stick with what you already stock - or Mobil 1 full synthetic / Amsoil if you don't mind changing...

I've used Lucas red for non-critical applications around the house only so I can't really comment on its longevity or anything. Like most things lubrication - how often you lube is probably more important than with what...

later,
b

I've got a Scag Tiger Cub; smaller version of the Turf Tiger. But all Scags use the same bearing set up, from smallest to largest. These things are WAY over built. Set up for heavy commercial use. The shafts and tapered bearings are stout. They even have an over-grease relief to make sure that you don't blow out the seals.

I use an EP lithium, NLGI 2 rated. Your red and tacky should work ok. I doubt you'll wear out the bearings. Routine greasing will ensure they last a LONG time. If you're like me and you just use it around the homestead once a week, it will probably last indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back