Redline a day keeps the mechanic away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
somewhat. i work at a FLM / Mazda dealer and we find that the RX-8s that get driven hard and redlined constantly have few engine problems. the ones that get driven like a grandma have tons of rough running problems.

I have redlined my Ranger everyday for the last couple of years with no issues. Since buying my Explorer a couple months ago, I have done the same and it responds well. In fact, I suspect it may be good for the Explorer's transmission since it causes the shifts to be firmer, which means less friction. I don't have anything to back this up, but in my experience my vehicles don't mind being redlined at all.

At this day and age, I would say no for newer car designs with EFI.

Instead, I would say 30miles of highway a day keeps mechanics away would be more appropriate.

I never redlined any of my vehicles. only engine problem I ever had was with a 13 yr old toyota corolla headgasket failure

Dont know. But I do it multiple times a day anyway. My favorite time is when its cold and the trans shifts slightly later than when its warm. Muahahaha.

The Italian Tune Up...change the fuel filter...some Techron and a nice Sunday drive works just as well and easier on components and your driver's license...Don't redline in neutral...or do what you want!...some folks here think revving the snot out of an ENZO in neutral is okay...let me say a brisk Sunday drive...lugging a motor is bad...everything in moderation...

I guess I'm the only guy that thought this thread was going to be about Red Line oil.
crazy.gif

Lugging a motor won't cause harm.
How can it?
You don't need to redline the car every day if it is not your style, but it is good to do on occasion .

All fluids checked, engine at proper operating temp-she loves to rev!!

1997 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2.0 (SR20) 135k.

Quote:

Dont know. But I do it multiple times a day anyway. My favorite time is when its cold and the trans shifts slightly later than when its warm. Muahahaha.

I'd venture to guess that this is the worst time to do this!

Parts arent expanded fully yet, the oil's viscosity is not in working range yet, and the additive package isnt thermally activated.

JMH

ford 6.0 diesels that get the ---- driven out of them rarely get into the shop. the ones that get babied end up with all kinds of turbo/egr problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back