Zero-Turn Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I experience wheelspin too if the ground is right or I'm overspeeding. It's all about being smooth. The equipment CAN bark the tires on concrete, so naturally if you ask it to, it can shred grass. I just learned to approach the corners with grace no never overwhelm the traction. It becomes a little bit more challenging if towing, like a large fallen tree or an aerator. Takes some finesse, and more patience.

Yep, I learned that the first time I had it out. If you're mowing fast, and just yank it into a zero-turn, both wheels will dig in. Never yanking the levers is key, just gotta be smooth. I don't really have it down super great yet, but our farmhand is a master with it because he's put on the bulk of the 25 hours its already accumulated. And once you get the knack, I think its actually easier on the turf than a tractor trying to make a very sharp turn and digging in its front wheels.

I did use the Ferris to drag a big cypress log out of the stable yard and up a big hill to the main house where its going to become a bench. The Ferris did the job, but honestly that's not its strong point. A tractor with half the horsepower would have done just as well. And I wouldn't want to do a lot of sustained dragging like that- the hydro pumps were audibly louder under the load.

Final point- some ZTRs have really, really little front wheels, and either no wheels or very small wheels on the mower deck. Don't get one of those unless your lawn is flat as a pool table. Especially be sure to get a suspended (floating) deck with wheels so it doesn't scalp all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back