Z06 analysis results - Royal Purple 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that we all need to see more UOAs of Royal Purple before we write it off. I am also under the opinion that it makes no difference if an oil thins out, it is the wear numbers that matter. We also have not seen many UOAs of the LS6 engine, so we don't know how hard the engine is on oil, or have any other brands to compare the Royal Purple to.
PRRPILL, at the same time, can you start getting more involved with your product?? Do you have some UOAs that you can post?? You can't assume that the board is biased against your product when only a few members voice their opinions. Thanks, Joe

quote:

I think that we all need to see more UOAs of Royal Purple before we write it off. I am also under the opinion that it makes no difference if an oil thins out, it is the wear numbers that matter

I agree. Same goes for Redline, we have yet to see enough UOA's to really praise this oil, even I do think it's very good. Royal Purple does shear down a lot, but if wear numbers are good then it doesn't really matter. My sister's boyfreind uses this in his dragster. I should have them do a sample.

If it's primarily used as Racing Oil and it does it's job for racing, then it's good. Maybe it's not an Ideal oil for a car and long drains? When an oil thins thought, aren't useless Molekule's
grin.gif
left behind to form sludge??

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
I think that we all need to see more UOAs of Royal Purple before we write it off. I am also under the opinion that it makes no difference if an oil thins out, it is the wear numbers that matter. We also have not seen many UOAs of the LS6 engine, so we don't know how hard the engine is on oil, or have any other brands to compare the Royal Purple to.

The LS6 shows the same wear numbers as the LS1, since it's basically the same engine, but with a more agressive cam, higher flow cylinder heads, and a slightly higher redline (not high enough to severely hurt the oil though) So the LS1 results we've got on here can be compared to this engine. These engines are fairly easy on the oil due to their high oil capacity (LS6 holds 6.5 quarts, LS1 holds 6.5 quarts in the C5, 5.5 quarts in the f-bodies) and low revving nature (with the 6 speed, 80mph equals only 2000rpm)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:

The LS6 shows the same wear numbers as the LS1, since it's basically the same engine, but with a more agressive cam, higher flow cylinder heads, and a slightly higher redline (not high enough to severely hurt the oil though) So the LS1 results we've got on here can be compared to this engine. These engines are fairly easy on the oil due to their high oil capacity (LS6 holds 6.5 quarts, LS1 holds 6.5 quarts in the C5, 5.5 quarts in the f-bodies) and low revving nature (with the 6 speed, 80mph equals only 2000rpm)

Thanks for the explanation Patman. You know I'm not a Chevy guy
wink.gif
-Joe

quote:

These engines are fairly easy on the oil due to their high oil capacity (LS6 holds 6.5 quarts, LS1 holds 6.5 quarts in the C5, 5.5 quarts in the f-bodies) and low revving nature (with the 6 speed, 80mph equals only 2000rpm)

True.

I am worried about the 9ppm of iron in the virgin sample of German 0w30, however it's just one sample, and could've been lab error too. Time will tell if this oil performs in UOA or not.

Fact remains, Redline is a consistent performer, so is Schaeffer Oil, yet RP is not. I've yet to see a super stellar report from this oil which shows wear metals in the 1ppm per 1000 mile range, but yet both Redline and Schaeffer Oil have shown it to be possible. OK, there was one report from a WRX which looked good on RP, but that engine shows good UOAs with any oil, yet the one report on here with Redline which really stands out IMO, is the one in the sludge prone Toyota engine which showed virtually no wear in 5000 miles.

No 10w30 oil should thin out like this oil consistently does, synthetic or not.

Yes, I am biased against Royal Purple, I simply do not see how this oil can make such claims on it's website, such as "The Performance Oil that Outperforms" Outperforms what? I see better reports on here with Chevron Supreme!

What really makes me angry is that this oil costs over $20 a quart in Canada. There are many poor young kids putting this oil into their Hondas thinking they are getting the best oil for their money, when in reality they are simply paying 10 times too much for this oil, because they can buy Castrol GTX for $2 a quart and get better performance.

[ June 20, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Well lets compare apples to apples first. Those two reports are not comparable. There are not excuses but facts...for one, I'd be willing to bet he is not running stock air filtration. Ask. for 2, it's a brand new engine, the Vette has a little more miles. third, where did the moly and potassium go? I'd venture to guess this guy does some insanely hard driving, possibly road racing, with that TBN and insoluble after only 3k. fourth, the vette has 1qt oil added to it. and finally, technically they are not even the same engine!
And where was the report criticized or accuracy questioned?

quote:

Originally posted by PRRPILL:
Minivette,
As you can see from the above posts, this site, while very informative has a massive bias against Royal Purple. The consensus is that the RP vis. drops rapidly and therefore the oil sucks. From your own analysis and the remarks of the Analysis company, your Royal Purple did very well.

I don't normally get into this sort of thing but I do agree with Prrpill, Royal Purple does have a good oil. I agree that wear #'s are looking good and agree that to really tell how this oil is performing, a VOA would help establish the starting viscosity.

I don't think that the board is so much biased based on anything except for the consistent reports RP keep showing where the viscosity seems to thin out in such short miles. Now, in this case, they show having adding in new fresh oil inside of 4k miles and yet it still drops? I don't know as I don't really know the actual starting Cst's on this oil but feel that if this oil is consistently dropping in viscosity can you help offer a reasonable explanation to the whys? As you know, we have many many analysis here and all show good and bad points. No Oil Is Perfect. So, please don't get upset at the numbers and think that the board is biased based on them, but try and help explain what they are missing as to why this isn't a problem in your opinion and not complain that they are biased. That IMO solves nothing and shares nothing to enhance the knowledge base on your product. This is why the open forum, for them to share concerns they see, for you to share reasons their concerns are unfounded.
Thanks.

bob

Bob, the starting viscosity of this oil in VOA is around 11 to 11.4 cst typically, and in this case it's now down around 9.6 to 9.7. Quite a drop if you ask me (not as alarming as the 11.4 to 8.8 drop in 2600 miles in my wife's report though!)

ok, just for the sake of argument, I'll put in 10w-30 Redline on the next oil change and get that tested. Then I'll post the results. That should settle things. (maybe)
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back