Your UCL - Lucas, TC-W3, or MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking to get a sense, within one thread, of what people are using for a UCL and how well they feel its working for them.

I`m using TC-W3, in a 500:1 ratio, but its premature yet to remark on how well its working. I think it may help free up my sticky piston rings, though if it succeeds at I expect it will take awhile (and need some help).

-Spyder

Uh-oh....
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If you're concerned about gummed up ring packs then Auto-RX may be the best way to go.

MMO is cheaper and it does everything arx claims to be able to do, save your money and if you have sticky rings, give MMO a shot in your fuel and oil.

Last edited:
UCL and piston rings are typically separate attacks. Get a baseline compression test done on all cylinders before you add your brews to see if any results are made.

A valve that gets cleaned up can help compression, and so will a ring that lets go of retained junk.

I've used MMO as a top off oil between changes, sometimes it was in there a very long time, not any 500 miles. For the fuel (UCL) i do it when I remember or actually have more than a quarter of a tank of fuel when i get home. Empty tank is a teenager deterrant in theory, but never works that way does it LOL.

I've used MMO, PZ TC-W3, techron, and water injection. None of them were able to clean carbon off the piston crown. I just did a seafoam piston soak over a period of 48 hours and I am very pleased with seafoam's carbon dissolving abilities.

Google: saturn piston soak

Soaking could also help your rings. Even though I've never had problems with rings in my 05 Corolla.

Last edited:
Since you asked:
I won't use Lucas UCL again. And I have used/tried it a LOT!
No perceivable results, and expensive to use.
It's just engine oil with some detergents.

MMO is what I normally use for extra lube and a bit of cleaning.

But for felt results, 2 stroke oil is the best feeling. Smooth and peppy .
Partly because of better ring and valve sealing, and also the 2 stroke oil burns for power production.
But there is no cleaning with 2 stroke oil, so MMO is the norm for me.

Not that I care that you don't use it but it's not "just engine oil with detergents" it's a light oil with an extremely low flash point and only contains a high dose of calcium so it doesn't leave deposits on injectors and this same Calcium dose does mild cleaning at best. (As per Terry)

I have back to back UOA's showing with/without it the only difference is chromium wear metals (ring wear) dropping from 2-3 to 0ppm.

Last edited:
I use MMO in every fuel fill-up. 4 oz. to each 10 gallons of gas. I like the benefits I get from it as a UCL and mild fuel system cleaner. I like MMO a lot, it works great. I had to use it for a few tanks before I saw noticeable improvements though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back