Your Choice for Router in 2023

OK...so I'd need to have the 2nd mesh device connected to a modem, OR, have a cable connecting it to the main router which is, itself, connected to the modem?
Given the description of your house, I highly doubt you'll even be considering a second wifi router once you see how good that AXE75 works for you.

Given the description of your house, I highly doubt you'll even be considering a second wifi router once you see how good that AXE75 works for you.

Really doubt he will get 400 on the other side of the house with 3 walls between no matter what router.
Also mesh nodes are not routers necessarily ;).

Go for TP-link deco mesh if price is the question.

No the second meshnode is not connected to anything except power from the wall.
Just withing good wifi coverage from the router.
But that is considered using it as a repeater, and you're saying there will be a speed penalty using it in that way?

But that is considered using it as a repeater, and you're saying there will be a speed penalty using it in that way?

Just do not worry about speed, okay :D.
You are living with 17mbits today. You can still stream 3-4 4K movies with the WIFI 6 Mesh.
Speed will still be faster on the other side of the house then with one router most of the time, even with a 30-40% penalty.

Really doubt he will get 400 on the other side of the house with 3 walls between no matter what router.
Also mesh nodes are not routers necessarily ;).

Go for TP-link deco mesh if price is the question.
True, but I find it's extremely rare to come close to saturating our 250 down Comcast service, even with 5 power heavy users home at the same time.

True, but I find it's extremely rare to come close to saturating our 250 down Comcast service, even with 5 power heavy users home at the same time.

Well the theoretical speed of the mesh is 3000mbits so even if you half that its more the his WAN connection.

There will be a performance penalty unless you connect nodes via Ethernet. This is because it has to bridge the connection from the primary node wirelessly. The lag however is not even close to being as bad as those garbage range extenders.

Again, unless you are downloading large files all day or havr every TV streaming in 4K, most people only use a fraction of the bandwidth they're paying for. A reliable 100 megabit connection is more than enough for most families.

First thing you need a new docsis 3.1 cable modem.. that one you have is an antique.
if your location is central you can get away with 1 router
if its at the end of a house you are better off using a mesh system.. if its triband the penalty wont be much and still faster than your internet.

If your current router provides good signal in all areas of the house the new one will on 2.4ghz at least.
you may have dead spots in the 5ghz coverage due to it penetrating less than 2.4ghz.

I’m looking pretty hard at the TP-Link Archer AXE75/AXE5400.

Can anyone help me tell if there’s a difference (other than styling/design) between the AXE5400 which is advertised for $136.96 by Walmart, and the AXE75/AXE5400, which is advertised on Amazon, as well as some other sites, for $179, and obviously has different design/styling?

I haven’t done an in-depth comparison of the advertised specs, but, a quick look, would seem to indicate the same features and hardware.

It is strange, because, the sources that I’m looking at are claiming that the AXE5400 and the AXE75, are the same thing.

So, I am not understanding the price difference of more than $40.

See photos below:
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg

In fact, as you can see in the photos that I posted in the post above, Walmart sells both models on their site, and their price for the so-called AXE75 is higher than that of Amazon and other retailers, at $197.

As I said, I have not looked in depth at the details of the specs between the two. But, on the surface, they would look to be the same.

Maybe I am missing something.

But, the AXE5400 is actually in stock at my Walmart down the street. I could go down there and get it for the $136.96 price tonight.

I found out years ago that if you have multiple access points, and configure them to use the same SSID and key, just about any wifi device is smart enough to roam between them, no mesh needed. They don't even need to be the same brand.

This configuration only works if you have the access points connected via ethernet cable.

I use a separate router and access points, because my router (and the cable modem) is in the basement. Needed two access points to cover my entire house. My router is a Mikrotik RB750GL which has been up for 450 days and which is probably 5 years old, and is still supported with firmware updates.

Any old x86 PC with two NICs and Endian UTM free download. They offer the free downloads so IT pros can become familiar with it and consider for commercial use. I’ve been running it for years. A full intel cpu wont break a sweat doing wire speeds here.

Any old x86 PC with two NICs and Endian UTM free download. They offer the free downloads so IT pros can become familiar with it and consider for commercial use. I’ve been running it for years. A full intel cpu wont break a sweat doing wire speeds here.

pfsense works well on old X86 PCs, problem is that old X86 PCs use a bit more power than a typical router.

pfsense works well on old X86 PCs, problem is that old X86 PCs use a bit more power than a typical router.
Pfsense is great, but the only problem is you need a CCNA certification to understand 3/4s of what it does.

Plus 1 on the AXE3000. You'll never use the extra bandwidth the AXE5400 offers with just 2 adults and 2 kids. Before Covid, 20 people in my office ran happily on less.

I’d say I’m willing to spend $250 max if it’s a really good one and will last a long time. Just need to do some research to determine if I need to spend that much.

I noticed that, with the Archer unit I posted, I’d have to buy a monthly subscription to access all of the security and access-limiting/parental control features.

Not a big fan of that.

I wonder if there’s a unit available with the same or similar features that would give me those features without having to subscribe.
OK, then I'd recommend the Ubiquiti UDR:

(which unfortunately appears to be out of stock on their store at the moment, maybe check Amazon?)

It's more capable than the other devices you are looking at and they have pretty good tech support. @Rand has been using their products and has been quite happy with them.

The only problem with a non mesh is expecting the new router's 5ghz band to actually reach the whole house.

That UDR will work with all unifi waps starting at 99$ if a second AP is needed.. it can be configured with wireless backhaul or wired(the udr has poe+ ports)

The UDR is semi-pro level not quite commercial.. maybe prosumer/light commercial/industrial is a better word.
I run a full unifi setup at my house and it was been very reliable. The uptime is only 10 days because of an update.
1687138413797.png

In the end the OP has a Ford Model T of a router and an equally outdated (surprised it still works) cable modem.. anything is an upgrade as long as it is reliable.
Not a big fan of TP link but it does have a good price/performance ratio.

before I went tp link I would consider this ASUS
for 164$

Last edited:
Back