YOU GOTTA GET ONE OF THESE THANGS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZ1

Just used the Pela Oil Extractor for the first time on my Honda Lawn Mower. What a Breeeezeeee!!!!! No tippin' the Mower and waitin' for the oil to drain!! Plus I got more old oil out than tippin the Mower. 5 minutes time max.

Oil Extractor works great on European engines, specially for BMW and MB. I have Mityvac 7201 for more than 5 years, it work great on my '00 MB E430 and my brother in-law '05 BMW 530, '93 MB 500E.

It's more paid for itself in 1 oil change, consider that my MB dealer charges $150 for oil+filter and it costs me only $25-30 for buying oil on sale(plus rebate) and filter online.

Mityvac 7201 can be bought from Amazon for $75 with free shipping. Its capacity is 8.8 liters and most BMW and MB sumps are 8-8.5 quarts, so that it is perfect for these cars.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No tippin' the Mower and waitin' for the oil to drain!! Plus I got more old oil out than tippin the Mower. 5 minutes time max.

I wasn't able to get all of the oil out of my Toro (B&S engine) that way. A few ounces still came out after I tipped it.

With a cartridge type filter, I could see using it. But if I'm going to climb on the floor to change the filter anyway, I might as well drain it from the plug.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
You know there's a 1/2" square nut for draining oil on the bottom of those mowers, right?

On my Toro? Hmm... manual doesn't mention it. Instead, it suggests tipping it to drain oil. Gonna have to take another look, but I don't think I've seen a drain nut there...

Wholesale marine 877-388-2628. I got it to use on Auto and Lawnmower. My next victim will be my Honda Accord.

An oil extractor would come in very handy for my wife's Mercedes. It uses a cartridge filter accessible from the top, so I wouldn't have to do any crawling around on the floor. The oil drain plug on her Mercedes is mounted horizontally (stupid), so oil shoots all over the suspension components if it is not diverted with some make-shift device (which I do).

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
You know there's a 1/2" square nut for draining oil on the bottom of those mowers, right?

Most newer walk behinds don't have drain plugs, they expect you to drain it out the filler tube by tipping it. My Honda is that way, it's easy to do. In fact, it's easier than trying to support the mower and trying to find the drain plug underneath. I just drained the FF and put in 16 oz of Amsoil ASE, runs as smooth as my truck does with ASL in it :)

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
The oil drain plug on her Mercedes is mounted horizontally (stupid), so oil shoots all over the suspension components if it is not diverted with some make-shift device

Sounds like a good candidate for a Fumoto drain valve.

I do 6 mo ocis so I'm planning to use it every other oil change. I'll let the Honda dealer do it once a year when they do my annual inspection so I can get a drain. I can get to the filter by turning my wheels full right.

I just walked outside and looked at a 2005 model briggs 4.5 horse and it had a drain plug on the bottom. This one was 3/8 drive, recessed.

Now, maybe they don't put them on the 'new-new' ones, but I'm planning a wal-mart excursion later this evening and I'll look at the showroom models. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Every Briggs powered push mower I've ever had was equipped with drain plug on the bottom. Just as Greenaccord says, just stick a 3/8" ratchet or extension in the hole and take it out.

My John Deere riding mower is even easier. It has a tube that runs out of the side of the lower block with a twist off cap. The tube points to the side of the frame. Just slide a catch pan underneath, twist the cap and away you go.

Having to turn the mower upside down to drain the oil seems to be a good way to spill gas and oil everywhere (and throw out my back!)

I have an '09 Toro (Briggs6.75) and it does have a drain plug but it is buried behind the rear wheel drive mechanism, so a bracket would have to be removed. There's nothing easier than tipping it though for the oil change so i don't bother with it and is easier than dealing with an extractor contraption.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back