Yoko Avid Touring 215/60/16 - Low Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out Thursday morning and the passenger rear looked a 'little' low, but not dangerous, so I went about running my errands for the day. Friday morning, it looked the same and I decide it was a good time/opportunity to take the car to the shop down the road and have the tires rotated (not done in ~28k miles) and properly inflated.

When he gets to the passenger rear he finds that it's at 5#s, and there is a nail embedded in the tire. I know, I know, shame on me for not watching more closely. But I am very impressed with the strength of the sidewall as there was no damage to the tire from driving on it, and it didn't feel funny on the road.

I'll also say that, overall, I am very happy with these tires. Great on dry and wet roads and when we travel to Ohio for the holidays, they seem adequate in snow. They were purchased in 08 and with the ~28k on them seem to be wearing fine (no measurement taken).

Anyone else unintentionally run on a tire with this low of a pressure? Any damage to the tire?

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
When he gets to the passenger rear he finds that it's at 5#s, and there is a nail embedded in the tire. I know, I know, shame on me for not watching more closely. But I am very impressed with the strength of the sidewall as there was no damage to the tire from driving on it, and it didn't feel funny on the road.

How long did you drive like that?

There may not have been visible damage, but when you run a tire with basically no pressure in it, the tire overheats and may cause irreversible damage. The sidewalls of course take a beating as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back