Yikes! 12.5k on Motomaster Synthetic... safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes!

I just realized, it's been about 20,000 km since I last did an oil change on my Mom's 2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6... thats about 12,500 miles!

Its running Motomaster Forumla1 Synthetic, which I've heard is made by Shell and is probably similar to Formula Shell Synthetic. Running a NAPA Gold oil filter.

I plan on doing the oil change as soon as I can, most likely this weekend. You guys think its ok, or has it been in there too long?

It's probably pretty tired, send it away for a UOA because that would be interesting to look at.

If it's not at the "condemnation limit" I would be surprised, but it is definitely lucky that you have a somewhat better oil and filter in there considering this happened.

The only way to tell is a UOA. Too late to do anyting if it has been in there too long. Post the uoa I am interested in the results.

Hahaha... I don't have a blackstone kit on hand, and it will take too long to arrive. I want to get this oil out ASAP. What other vessel is clean enough to keep an oil sample in?

ok, i think i have a plastic bottle i could use. i placed my order for the blackstone kit. should be interesting to see this UOA, lol. you guys love this kind of stuff!

i'll be giving the car the same treatment again this time around. NAPA gold filter with the Motomaster Formula1 5W-30 oil.

hey guys, just an update: i changed out the oil just now, and got some fresh PP 5W-30 in there. took a sample of the oil and put it aside in a temporary container. waiting on the blackstone kit to transfer it in to and send it in.

by the way, i was mistaken about the kind of oil that was in there. it was actually syntec 5W-30, not motomaster. sorry! i remembered wrong (maybe because it was so long ago, lol), but my records are never wrong!

so do ppl still wanna see the UOA for this, or is it less interesting now that its a different kind of oil?

I'd still like to see it
55.gif

This is what Johnny PM'd me about Motomaster Formula 1 synthetic,
Quote:
It's a very good product. It is a Group III synthetic with a Infinium additive package using Shell VI improvers which are some of the best out there. I would have no problem at all using this oil 7.5k to 9k oil changes. That's miles, not kilometers.

Originally Posted By: Yuk
This is what Johnny PM'd me about Motomaster Formula 1 synthetic,
Quote:
It's a very good product. It is a Group III synthetic with a Infinium additive package using Shell VI improvers which are some of the best out there. I would have no problem at all using this oil 7.5k to 9k oil changes. That's miles, not kilometers.

I'm not sure I said this about Motomaster oil. I believe I said this about Formula Shell Synthetic. I'm not even sure Shell makes this oil, and if they do it's more than likely not the same exact formulation as the Shell product.

Originally Posted By: BennyL
Hahaha... I don't have a blackstone kit on hand, and it will take too long to arrive. I want to get this oil out ASAP. What other vessel is clean enough to keep an oil sample in?

You don't need Blackstone. You have WearCheck right down the QEW in Burlington (was in Mississauga but they moved to Burlington this past month).

Originally Posted By: Yuk
Too bad it wasn't the Motomaster Synthetic, I would have loved to have seen the results.

I have a UOA on here from Motomaster F1 Synthetic. Maybe 4500 miles (7K km) or so. Done and posted about a 18 months ago. Good numbers all around but TBN was a bit low as I recall.

anyone know if these engines are generally harsh on oil or not?

and how does it work with wearcheck? do i go there, or mail a samples?

Johnny, Canadian Tire oils are made by Shell, and there are varying grades. All have been verified to be Shell by the MSDS. There is a less expensive line that seems to be private label oil carried by a few different Canadian retailers, and then a higher line meant to be comparable to brand name oils and priced similarly.

As far as anyone can tell, the better of the two Canadian Tire oils, branded as Motomaster Formula 1, is equivalent to the FormulaShell product. I don't know that for a fact but it seems to be the case, and in a Canadian Tire owned parts chain, PartSource, they stock a full line of FormulaShell oils in the place of it. Same pricing, same sizing, and same variety. PartSource doesn't want to be caught out as owned by Canadian Tire, so the Motomaster branded products are not sold there. I figure this is more than a coincidence, as the pricing is the same, and other than transmission fluid fundamentally nobody in Canada carries FormulaShell products.

I can't prove it without Canadian Tire releasing spec sheets but the stars seem to align for that story.

Last edited:
I have seen a very few Canadian Tires that also stock Shell oil. As far as I know there is only one left here in Vancouver, and it only stocks Shell 5W30 jugs. And no it's not just old stock because I bought the last two and a few weeks later the shelf was restocked. They are $11, which is actually cheaper than Motomaster if I recall correctly.

Zellers has also started selling Shell by the quart.

Almost every Canadian Tire I have been in has had Rotella but no FormulaShell.

I see the transmission fluid a lot, but I have never seen a whole bunch anywhere except PartSource.

That's nothing..........my Dad ran his old battle wagon van 27k on Amsoil 5w30 Hd and ASL 5w-30.

It was starting to get a slight lifter tick. Changed it to fresh ASL and no more tick. It does take some oil added between changes though 1 qt every 5k or so??

I am his mechanic and was living in San Diego. If I did not changed it he would put 100k on the oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back