Yamaha scooter says No diesel oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have been a faithful user of Rotella 15-40 in every bike I have for the past 10 years. I just picked up a Yamaha Morphous 250cc scooter with typical cvt drive, no wet clutch. Looking through the owners manual I noticed it says, Do not use diesel oil with specification of "CD". Can anybody tell me why? I've trusted it for years. Thanks,Ernie

Do they mean don't use diesel oil that has an API rating of CD?

"CD - OBSOLETE Introduced in 1955. For certain naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines."

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/oil-and-natural-gas/engine%20oil/motor_oil_guide_2010_120210.pdf?la=en

Not sure. The exact wording is, Do not use oils with a Diesel specification of "CD or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, Do not use oils labeled "Energy Conserving II or higher

Nice Scoot!!! The Morphous is a sweet machine.

But honestly, there is no reason not to run a quality, name brand diesel oil like Rotella, Delo, or M1 TDT. Use with confidence.

HDEO's is all I run in my scooters.

Thanks, I didn't realize CD was an old rating. I feel better. Rotella it is. I knew I came to the right place. I've Wanted a Morphous for a few years now but people have talked me out of it. This past Saturday I ran across A 2008 with 2700 miles owned by a 80 year old man. He sold for $1300. Still looks and runs new. Could not be talked out of this one!

Dunno about this one, but I think SOME Yamaha manuals in English are..er...just WRONG.

I've seen content in Yamaha scooter manuals which only seemed to be appropriate for wet-clutch shared sump motorcycles, and I assumed it'd been cut-and-pasted (central to contemporary Asian culture) intact without editing.

The CD thing above doesn't seem to matter, but the "oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, Do not use oils labeled "Energy Conserving II or higher" doesn't obviously make sense.

Friction modifiers aren't a concern in a auto scooter, but maybe they don't want you using the latest low zinc oils.

Is it a flat tappet engine?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Good for Yamaha on finally being specific about use of the wrong oil in a product.

Irony

Right?

Originally Posted By: erniem
Not sure. The exact wording is, Do not use oils with a Diesel specification of "CD or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, Do not use oils labeled "Energy Conserving II or higher ...also noted "use oil grade, API service SE,SF,SG or higher

Well, just goes to show Yamahas recommendation is in the toilet, I think.
ummm ... diesel oil is rated cj4 AND sm or sn. So fits the requirements ... unless they simply want you to use the lower rated gasoline only oil ...
With the news HEDO/Diesel oils you need to read the labels of the CK to see if they carry an API for gasoline.

All I can say is their wording is confusing .. !
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back