Xbox One X vs One S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my One S for awhile, but back in April or May the backlight to my 60" 1080p Vizio started dying. So I gave it to my brother and bought a 55" 4K Samsung. Would upgrading to the Xbox One X be worth it?

I traded a laptop for the One S, and I would be giving it to another family member, so I'm not really out any money on that. I'm more interested in the differences in smoothness and visuals between the two. In my favorite game, Killing Floor 2, sometimes I get some pretty massive FPS drops depending on what's happening on screen. Forza also has its moments.

I do sit about 4ft away from it when I play lol

6CF36354-5368-406D-BC46-D8C6CE49F8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
The XBox One X is more capable than the One S, but I'm not really sure that any game developers have taken advantage of it. I've not seen any games that work only on the One X.

I'm in to see what responses you get. I'm curious if the advantages translate into reality.

LOL. I play Killing Floor 2 also. They got a new level on PSVR but I will not try it. Two more trophies for a platinum trophy. I got a 4K Sony XBR with PS4 Pro and on only games like God of War or Horizon does the premium system really show any difference. Unless the games you play support 4K native the S should be fine. Happy gaming.

I know Horizon 4 runs at 4K 30fps native, or 1080p 60hz. KF2 runs at 1800p, but they claim it runs at a higher frame rate than the regular Xbox... decisions decisions
crazy2.gif
if I buy one I'm getting the Battlefield bundle, I know V runs at 4K also

Last edited:
Originally Posted by earlyre
from what i could tell, the S supports 4K video playback, while the X Supports 4K gaming...

I decided to try something a few weeks ago and set my S back to 1080p output instead of 4K and let my TV handle the upscaling. My tv does a better job at upscaling the games than the console does!

I upgraded my One S to a One X earlier in the fall, just before RDR2 was released.

As far as performance goes, there are still frame rate drops at 4K. Yeah, it's more powerful hardware, but 4K is much more taxing. Also, some games are better than others. PUBG is awful, nearly unplayable in 4K. It's like they did no optimization for 4K whatsoever. Forza isn't bad. RDR2 was worse at launch. It has gotten better. I'm playing BF5 on PC, so no feedback there.

For a game that sticks to a native 1080p, the extra hardware horsepower of the X should help keep the average frame rate up.

As far as eye candy goes, the 4K visuals are nice. RDR2 is especially pretty. The draw distance and detail of the background is spectacular. You didn't mention if your Samsung supports HDR, but I though going from non-HDR to HDR (new television for me) was more impressive than the switch to 4K.

I have the X and S. Mama's the gamer, not me, so I can only relate what she says. It's a little better in overall use.

The 4K streaming is excellent visually and glitch free.

I notice the BluRay drive on the X is faster and more troublefree, could be just me, but it seems sharper on any disc.

Bootup/startup time is about the same between the two.

Worth it? I think so, as it's not really that expensive.

Last edited:
Well, my wife picked one up for me today. KF2 feels smoother, more detail in the gore and everything, and FH4 looks absolutely incredible! Downloading Fallout 76, give that a go.

I also bought a HyperX Cloud Alpha headset and Dolby Atmos license. Both are absolutely worth it IMO!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back