XADO cermet update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

By the way, here's a good tip for you: if you decide to try out Pulstar spark plugs, enjoy them, they work great!, but DO NOT USE AMSOIL POWERFOAM IN YOUR INTAKE!! The Powerfoam will crystalize and permanently foul the super-hot tips of the Pulstar plugs.

Luckily I'm able to return mine for a refund. :D

Interesting observation about the Power Foam. I wonder what would happen to a standard or platinum plug if it fouled a "super-hot" tip of a Pulstar plug?

Powerfoam works great with my Iridiums and Platinums. Pulstars don't like it at all. I think I could probably un-foul them, but I'd rather get my money back. I want plugs that can withstand Powerfoam. :)

Sounds like a good idea if you plan on continuing to use power foam. So far I only used it in small 4 stroke engines and had no problems with it.

Sent a mail to Pulstar to find out if they had plugs compatible with my AUB code VW engine, wich isn't listed..
Hope so.

Thanks for the tip Hethaerto.
Anything that makes my engine run better is always welcomed.

Also thinking about doing a PCV/CCV Bypass, but i´ll wait until after the emissions test in July.

As for the oil consumption, if it turns out to be piston ring failure, a known issue with this engine type, i´ll just keep on toping up, repairing would cost way to much.
Maybe XADO will end up having a positive effect on this..

Also read here in BITOG were Dr. Haas research was mentioned, that a thiner 30 weight oil could have a better result in reducing oil consumption thru the rings, although that does not make much logic to me, but, hey i´m still a rookie here..
So i guess i´ll have to try it myself.

Have a nice week everyone.

Got my hands on 4 quarts of mineral Castrol GTX High Mileage 15w40 today, HM oils are extremely hard to find over here.
Don't know if this one as esters to swell the seals..

Guess i've found the next step after XADO.

If its a seal issue, maybe an HM oil will help..
At least i feel more confortable using an oil with a proper (safer amount) balanced seal conditioner than risking mixing a swelling additive.
I´ll put it in after i´m done testing XADO, wich will be in the following 600+600 miles.

I´ll share the results then.

Well,i´m due to run 120 miles tomorrow and although the oil level is slightly within the safe zone, almost near the point one MUST top up, i´ll do it tomorrow morning just to be safe.

Last thing i want is to pull over with a fried engine, specialy with my wife and kids in there..

I assume it could go another 100miles with the usual "soccer mom" drive style, probably reaching another 700mile marker, or close to it..

Anyway it will be my last top up, next time is GTX 15w40 High Mileage time.

Nice weekend everyone.

Ok, updating this..

Castrol GTX 15w50 mineral oil mixed with 3x9ml of XADO did not slow down oil consumption much:

1qt after 720 miles.

But Castrol GTX HIgh Mileage 15w40 mineral oil was a failure..

Oil consumption rate increased.. from 1qt/720miles to 1qt just after 400 miles.

So this oil is no answer.

Will i ever find an engine oil that will last longer between top-up's?

Any ideas?

I would use a 15W-50 or 20W-50 oil during warm weather for an engine that consumes oil. With some testing, you will find the one that does the best to reduce consumption AND does not break the bank since you have to add oil so often.

Castrol has always burned off fast in any car I've put it in, except for GC.

Amsoil has always resisting cooking off better than any oil I've used.

Cermet Labs is now selling a smaller dose for $39, a yearly treatment. Their stuff works as advertised. But I wouldn't use the stuff to try to combat high oil consumption. Get your engine as clean as you can first, and repair your PCV system, too.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Their stuff works as advertised.

There is a member here that I talk with from time to time and he is happy with this product.

FWIW, I dropped my pan on my treated GMC 2 weeks ago (about 12,000miles i need to check my logs). The gears on the oil pump looked like any other oil pump gears (no differance). But what i could see of the cylinder they looked coated and felt smother than normal. Also the con rod bearing looked coated also and where extra smooth. little subjective but It looked like it worked on some surfaces not others maybe not enough friction on the oil pump gears. Next time i use this type of product i will scuff or sand the oil pump shaft and see how it works that way.

Originally Posted By: Roland
FWIW, I dropped my pan on my treated GMC 2 weeks ago (about 12,000miles i need to check my logs). The gears on the oil pump looked like any other oil pump gears (no differance). But what i could see of the cylinder they looked coated and felt smother than normal. Also the con rod bearing looked coated also and where extra smooth. little subjective but It looked like it worked on some surfaces not others maybe not enough friction on the oil pump gears. Next time i use this type of product i will scuff or sand the oil pump shaft and see how it works that way.

Cool. Which brand did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back