writin scills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Master ACiD
a lot of people myself included just don't care enough to bother with hassle of proper english text on some obscure website where nobody knows you're real name.

This is the exact reason you should try! Don't take this the wrong way, and since you said you don't care and don’t try, Master ACiD I'm going to be a bit explicit. I don’t know you. You could be a stinking genius. When I see your posts, I picture an idiot – now if you have a mental disability, then OK I guess, but again you say you don’t care/try. (Which is it?) I really don’t read your posts all the way through, sometimes they give me a headache. JohnBrowning's are the same way. You don’t care if people read your stuff? Then - why post?

I remember one time you emailed me, and were amazed I didn’t know you are “Master ACiD”. Honestly I know only a very few real names. So I guess I’m the idiot!!
crackmeup2.gif
:chucklehead:

haha pablo man oh man where should i start. ok, i think the point i made went over you're head. maybe that is because i don't capitalize the first letter in each of my sentences. whatever.

you asked:
You don’t care if people read your stuff? Then - why post?

i never said that. you are trying to mentally rationalize my rambling paragraph and put it into a context that you can understand. unfortunately you got it wrong. you get an a for effort though, mr freud.
go back and re read my post word for incomprehensible word. take what i type at face value. nothing more. i do care that others read my posts. if i did not then i would never have registered. i would be one of those anonymous lurkers who never register.
the thing with me is, i just don't give a flying [censored] what you and everyone else think about my grammar and spelling and capital letters and run on sentences and.... you get my drift now? i just don't care. others might find this annoying and so they and you insult me. it doesn't matter. you and everyone else here are just text on the internet. i got called an idiot by a piece of text named pablo. its not a issue to me. now don't get me wrong sometimes we have some real fun with the dry humour that goes on around here. i do like you guys alot. but you are all just text on the internet to me when i really boil it down. i don't really KNOW any of you. pablo, what is you're real name? i don't know. actually i don't really care to know so you don't have to answer that. would anyone here actually care to know my real name? probably not. i can't think of anyone here who i think would actually want to know my name. but just in case anyone feels like getting emotional, my name is joseph smith. but who would care? most of you guys seem to run in clicks. i'm an outcast on the internet. i'm an outcast in real life. so what!

the thing is, i could die tonight and nobody here would ever know, or care. if you managed to read this far than i hope you can gain a little bit of my perspective. that is why i don't bother with capital letters, or proper grammar. in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter. there is more important things in my life than to worry what you guys think of my grammar. you can bet you're amsoil dealing butt that i have a perfectly worded resume though. oh yeah!

ill probably never even meet any of you in person. so why should i care? and pablo, i didn't mean to single you out just because you picture an idiot when i give you a headache from skimming over my posts. i would easily make an example out of mori's obvious plea for attention when he makes his weekly epic post. this week it's about some dinky little dremel tools no one really cares about but we all post anyways just to feel important.

pablo, it's just that you're post gave me a perfect way to express my feelings to all you pieces of text out there who made it far enough to read through this entire post.
congratulate you're selves if you did! bet $5 98% of you didn't. thats ok. i posted for the 2% who did.

Well, for someone who doesn't care, you certainly spent a bit of time explaining.
Don't sweat being an "outcast" in either real life or internet life, who in their right mind would want to run with the herd anyway?

At least you don't use half a dozen exclamation marks to end every other sentence!!!!!! Like someone I won't name!!!!!!
Now, where's mori's weekly epic post?

Mori has changed. Something called goodness has him under the wrath. Don't look back, just save yourself.

Please correct my grammar:

Quest wrote:
Quote:
Merkava, please have a look at this pics RE: KYB replacement for 7th gen civics:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=1631+10606+4294967266+9313

Then you'll understand what I mean.

My reply to Quest:
Quote:
I see exactly what you mean: the tie-rod is connected directly to the strut; rather than to the steering knuckle like on my GM. But I still see a standard lower strut mount for mounting to a steering knuckle; which leads me to ask why Honda went the route that they did?

Or maybe I should have written it like this:
Quote:
I see exactly what you mean: the tie-rod is connected directly to the strut, rather than to the steering knuckle like on my GM; but I still see a standard lower strut mount for mounting to a steering knuckle; which leads me to ask why Honda went the route that they did?

How should I have punctuated that reply?
54.gif

One think that gets me is when a particular poster says "prolly" instead of "probably". But, that's just me and I don't think any less of the poster. We all are not perfect nor pretend to be. We're just a bunch of oil guys - not harvard students/grads.

Quote:
One think that gets me is when a particular poster says "prolly" instead of "probably".

When I see "prolly," I think of "Molly" sucking on her "lollipop."

When I write prolly, it's entirely intentional.

It's people who say nookular that drive me batty.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
When I write prolly, it's entirely intentional.

It's people who say nookular that drive me batty.

prolly is slang ..simple enough ..as is 'splainin and any number of other non-standard words.

You need to visit NuWingland if you want to heah proper butchering of the King's English. I think working class RowDialand may top the carnage. I'm frum theah (suthun Mahss) and cahn tell you thaht pronunciation is ah guideline, naut ah rule. An ahtery tahget whairah you arah graded by how close you get to the centah. Osteopathic may decay to Ostapadic without too much thought.

One more complicated oddity is something akin to the "L" and "R" thingy that some Asians appear to have issues with. (although it doesn't show in Tsorry, Roger. You Tiga now. Sum in NuWingland will put an "ah" for "r" Y-A-AH-N or YAN for yarn. While they may very well have an idear when seein a deah crossn thah road.

Some should keep in mind that anal retentive can be as much of a "disorder" as anal expulsive. One appears more tidy than the other ..but can be just as much of a "defect" if carried to obsession. Felix and Oscar were merely at different poles. Neither can lay claim to being "right" (as in "you may be correct ..but you ain't right).

Quote:
..it's just that you're post gave me a perfect way to express my feelings to all you pieces of text out there who made it far enough to read through this entire post.
congratulate you're selves if you did! bet $5 98% of you didn't. thats ok.

I almost made it through the whole thing, but I skipped to the end to get to the juicy part. Your "not caring" makes it difficult to read, but the last bit you did on purpose, so it's almost funny.
wink.gif

If you re-read my post, I never "called (you) an idiot".

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Some should keep in mind that anal retentive can be as much of a "disorder" as anal expulsive. One appears more tidy than the other ..but can be just as much of a "defect" if carried to obsession. Felix and Oscar were merely at different poles. Neither can lay claim to being "right" (as in "you may be correct ..but you ain't right).

Excellent point Gary.

Sometimes the need for perfection is a cover up for lack of real content. One of my colleagues often submits papers to various scientific journals. He tells me that the crappier journals always make him jump through more hoops than the top tier journals. The sh$t journals want him to get all the formatting and style guidelines right on first submission whereas the top journals don't sweat it unless the paper is accepted and even then, they are willing to bend the rules if the content is original, novel, and factual. They value content over anal retentiveness.

I've seen this, too. But I'll bet dollars to donuts your colleague tries his best at the content and puts some effort into the grammar and spelling.

Nothing wrong with standards for yourself. Make them as high as you please. Some things that others take pride in may not be on your hierarchy of essential needs. I'm sure that we all fall short in someone else's critical eye if they're looking hard enough.

I don't think everyone here is a master of everything they do. If they are, then they probably have a limited scope to their lives.

So, if you have a passion for the written language in its perfect form (whatever that is in contemporary view - thinking of Sue Herrera saying "dissing" on the old FNN) ...reject most poetry ..literary license ..call those who use it jerks ..then so be it and more power to you.

If on the other hand you have no mastery over your own obsessive behaviors and need to stroke your ego at the expense of others ..then go have a long talk with a professional who may help you with the problem.

So Gary, is this the part where I slink out of the room? :snake: I thought Bob summed it up pretty well.

I certainly didn't start this to beat on anyone or get beat up. I'm not what anyone would think "anal"..... in too many areas of my life. I'm certainly not trying to raise the standard in the USA. I just wanted to slow the slide, make a line of defense before we all go back to grunting and pounding. Oh wait a minute....

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I may have a foul attitude about this, but here it goes anyways.

When I post on internet sites, I'm usually killing a few minutes between other tasks at work or at home. My opportunity cost of proof reading my posts are high. Therefore, I usually type and hit send. I also don't expect greatness from others on chat rooms or internet boards. If I can comprehend it, that's all I care about even if it looks like dog scribble.

As for intelligence and writing, bruce381 is quite possibly the worse typer on this board (no offense bruce). But he is also one of the most knowledgeable and I pay special attention to his posts regardless of how they are written.

I agree. I am very guilty of the typing out my post and hitting send. I don't think I've ever proofread a post that I've made on here in years.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I don't think I've ever proofread a post that I've made on here in years.

I never proofread before posting. I find all sorts of oddities later all the time, usually after the editing time has expired.

The only time I point out other people's grammar and spelling atrocities is when I want to annoy them. Sometimes I will rib my forum buds, but usually I won't. I'm a total hypocrite when it comes to teasing selected people.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Your (
27.gif
) definitely not lacking in self pride Pablo.

Don't you mean "you're".....
LOL.gif
(sorry I know, it was a trap, I couldn't resist)

Those who know me....judge me.....as savory with a nice Chianti and fava beans...

I used to be humble. What happened to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back