Wrecked my Blue Crown Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Seriously: that looks fixable with a parts car.

I was thinking the same thing. Fixable, but probably not economically viable to pay someone else to fix it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Seriously: that looks fixable with a parts car.

I was thinking the same thing. Fixable, but probably not economically viable to pay someone else to fix it.

That car is pretty destroyed but if you are unemployed(OP) or have lots of time on your hands and killer set of tools anything can get done.

That is one of those times FWD>RWD for sure. Glad you aren't injured.
ESC/Stability control/TC somewhat fixes this type of accident. IT would have applied just one brake to try and pull you out of the spin/slide.

This is the reason I drive a MT equipped Subaru with Michelin premiers(best wet traction tire around).

I had a similar incident to yours in my 2002 ranger on some marginal black ice. I just let off the gas and did a 540 degree spin into a ditch backwards. Road was dry 100ft before the black ice it was some refrozen snow melt on Christmas day.. Try getting a wrecker on Christmas day.

Luckily in my case it just popped 2 tires off the wheels.. and broke the front bumper valance from filling up with dirt.

Funny: I was sitting there stunned in the ditch and my arm had hit the radio tuner .. and Madonna "die another day" starts playing.

Sorry to hear about your loss but glad that your ok. The Crown Vic is one of the safest cars on the road period. I would be extremely bummed out if I lost my 2011 LX as it is my daily driver. Mine looks just like yours only black with the same 17" aluminum wheels too. Every time my nephew comes from NYC to visit me he tells me that my car is the most comfortable car he's ever been in. I plan on keeping this car forever & will just give it a new paint job and parts as time goes on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Sorry to hear about your loss but glad that your ok. The Crown Vic is one of the safest cars on the road period. I would be extremely bummed out if I lost my 2011 LX as it is my daily driver. Mine looks just like yours only black with the same 17" aluminum wheels too. Every time my nephew comes from NYC to visit me he tells me that my car is the most comfortable car he's ever been in. I plan on keeping this car forever & will just give it a new paint job and parts as time goes on.

Posts like this make me wanna buy a CV/GM so bad it hurts!

Sorry about the loss OP. Car was low mileage too
frown.gif

Bummer! I love those cars! Looks like you really had it dialed in, too.
You might sell it to someone with a 67-72 ford truck. The CV swap is really big with them. Some guys swap the whole truck onto the CV frame, but others just use the front end. I hate seeing them cut up perfectly good runners for suspension and stuff, but a wrecked car would be a good donor.

Btw, I did a walk around this morning and every panel is toast. I think the only usable pieces exterior wise is probably the passenger doors. The pass. front door won't open, but I think its just cause that fender is pushed into it a bit. I think its alright.
The pass rear door is 100%. It even closes like factory.
Of course the whole driver side is gone, but the roof is caved in too (except the sun roof survived, somehow) and it even folded the passenger C Pillar from the way it squished the roof in.
Oh, I think the trunk panel is good. It was funny, I pushed the button to open the trunk so I could reset the fuel switch, and it popped and went up a bit like the day it was made.
But it won't close again.
I went back to the site this morning and took pictures. However, Im too tired to format the 4MB photos to something web-friendly, so Ill do it after I get some sleep. I just wanted to get that done while it was light as I knew it would be dark when I woke up.

Last edited:
take off the trunk lid, cut out the rear roof / deck and now you have a truck for home depot runs.

Originally Posted By: Shark
Swap any parts you want before insurance comes to take it.

He already said he doesn't have full coverage on it, so the insurance company will not be coming to take it at all.

Sorry to hear about your loss but glad that your ok. The Crown Vic is one of the safest cars on the road period.

The car is not one of the safest because it kicked out the rear end and had no ability except driver reflex to place back into control. A modern stability control likely would have prevented this accident or made it easier to recover.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Sorry to hear about your loss but glad that your ok. The Crown Vic is one of the safest cars on the road period.

The car is not one of the safest because it kicked out the rear end and had no ability except driver reflex to place back into control. A modern stability control likely would have prevented this accident or made it easier to recover.

I totally disagree. I have been driving these cars since 1988 as a LEO. I have been in several bad wrecks during my career and walked away safe and I have seen the same of my colleagues too. These cars are so safe I drive one as my personal vehicle a 2011 LX. It has front & side airbags as well as frame reinforcements to protect driver & occupants from side impact intrusion. These cars are incredibly tough. heavy and durable as well. On the highway I can achieve 28 MPG easy with my car's 2.73 ratio rear end. I'll be driving this car as long as I want to with how I take care of mine. It rides so much better than the unibody junk on the road today. I love driving it in downpours on the highway because of its weight its so planted on the road with the Michelin Defenders I run on the car. The unibody junks around me in a downpour are all over the roadway hydroplaning into ditches. In the winter I put on the Firestone Winterforce snow tires and two 45 LB barbell plates in the huge trunk and go right by other people driving unibody junks who crash off of the roadway into ditches while my Vic stays firmly planted on the road. lol

Last edited:

Except this was a modified car... Transmission was programmed to shift hard, and it happened to shift hard at the worst possible time.

Wild guess says a more modern transmission could be programmed to not shift hard on throttle lifts, and more importantly, the traction control work with transmission programming--but all bets are off on aftermarket. I also have to wonder if the OP even wants TC on this car--some cars are more fun in a, err, more primitive state.

If we really wanted to be bitog-obsessive, we'd point out how this would never happen in a manual transmission, or that if it did, then it'd be total user error... surprised that no one has suggested that as a fix yet.

The point being the car isn't "safer". It lacks modern computer assist features. The point is never to get involved in an accident-instead of saying it's safer because you can walk away from one.

These things are dinosaurs in every since of the word. But they are the darling love child here on BITOG.com

Last edited:
The unibody junks around me in a downpour are all over the roadway hydroplaning into ditches. In the winter I put on the Firestone Winterforce snow tires and two 45 LB barbell plates in the huge trunk and go right by other people driving unibody junks who crash off of the roadway into ditches while my Vic stays firmly planted on the road. lol

Unibody junk?

Methinks you are confusing tire tread with chassis type...

You should come to NH. Plenty of full framed vehicles in the ditch, in the winter, while the "unibody junk" manages to stay on the road.

Originally Posted By: CKN
These things are dinosaurs in every since of the word. But they are the darling love child here on BITOG.com

Wait, are you suggesting that BITOGer are not 'progressive' in their automobile choices?

Glad the OP's okay and no one else was involved.
Good luck getting some $ back on the aftermarket parts to salvage what investment you can back.

My FWD stick shifts have yet to do this to me. And the fact that it never rains here helps even more.

Catching rubber in 2nd can be tricky; stability control is a wonderful thing in this case.

Live an learn, good luck with fixing it.

Originally Posted By: supton

Except this was a modified car... Transmission was programmed to shift hard, and it happened to shift hard at the worst possible time.

Wild guess says a more modern transmission could be programmed to not shift hard on throttle lifts, and more importantly, the traction control work with transmission programming--but all bets are off on aftermarket. I also have to wonder if the OP even wants TC on this car--some cars are more fun in a, err, more primitive state.

If we really wanted to be bitog-obsessive, we'd point out how this would never happen in a manual transmission, or that if it did, then it'd be total user error... surprised that no one has suggested that as a fix yet.

It could've been programmed to shift softly on lift off. The way the computer decides what pressure to command, is a table with Throttle Position vs Speed. So when the shift line (MPH vs Throttle position) is crossed it looks at the pressure table for what to command.
This was simply something I hadn't thought of doing. If it mattered still, I would go back into the table and at high speed and low throttle say starting at like 20% and down, I would pull it back down to stock. Since the transmission valve body flows higher than stock I could even go under stock pressure. I would have to test it repeatedly to see how much I could pull.

ALSO, CAN WE NOT MAKE THIS ANOTHER FULL FRAME VS UNIT BODY THREAD PLEASE. IM TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT IT.
I love my full frame cars, and it did its job well in this case, but Im not married to it. Im hurt minimally and thats all I care about.

Also, I can tolerate manuals in the rural area I live in, but in the city I don't do any good with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back