Wow… Ford losing over $130k on every EV sold…

And the losses (and stupid business decisions) keep piling up. Not sure how any voting shareholders can allow this to continue for long. How long until the until the bailout chants of “Too Green to fail!” starts to be the cause celebre?

I owned Ford stock back sometime in the early 2010's. It was $10-$12 bucks then. I sold it because it traded sideways. I looked recently and it is still ~$12 more than 10 years later. As a share owner I would be hot with this sort of situation. Glad I dumped it for other investments.

Just my $0.02

There is a guy in our neighborhood who just brought home a Tesla Cybertruck. Seeing it in person just reinforced my belief that it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. At least he Ford Lightning and the Chevy electric trucks look okay.

There is a guy in our neighborhood who just brought home a Tesla Cybertruck. Seeing it in person just reinforced my belief that it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. At least he Ford Lightning and the Chevy electric trucks look okay.
They are weird indeed. Seen multiple around here already in the wild. I see one regularly at daycare where I drop off my son. It is 50/50 love or hate and it is just different. I would not say I like it much, neither I dislike it. But shelling out about $120k (thise first edition are most expensive) for one— I don’t get it. Same for Rivian R1S suv model, my friend’s husband in Cali got one, waited about 2 years for it, shelled out about 90k. He sounded disappointed when I asked him about it, soon after it arrived. “Not worth the price tag. You would expect much more quality and luxury at that price”.

I owned Ford stock back sometime in the early 2010's. It was $10-$12 bucks then. I sold it because it traded sideways. I looked recently and it is still ~$12 more than 10 years later. As a share owner I would be hot with this sort of situation. Glad I dumped it for other investments.

Just my $0.02
Does it at least pay good dividend?

yes, so many "what if's".
If that's how we decided what to prioritize and how to structure our lives, there would be no point in getting out of bed every morning.

My point is there's far too many items we depend on daily that depend on crude oil.
Even the almighty EV isn't immune to crude oil as many of it's plastics/resins/fluids used in manufacturing and maintenance depends on it.

As a result, we need not worry about it because there's little anyone in this thread can do to change things.
🤷‍♂️
I think the birth rate collapse all over the world (starting in Japan then to SK and now China) and work from home is going to fix that soon.

We never really ran out of sperm whale oil despite whales are going extinct, right?

As others have noted, Ford's shocking loss per unit number does not represent variable cost but is full costed with those costs spread over the volume of units sold.
This is no more than a snapshot and would seem to assume that Ford's EV development days have come to an end.
Still, there is a significant supply of unsold Mach Es and Lightenings that will require significant discounts to move and Ford will likely need to fund those discounts. We also have no idea what Ford may have done to make inventorying these vehicles attractive to the dealer network, like floor plan interest deals and maybe stop-loss payments if vehicles require pricing below invoice to move off the lot.
Early days yet, so we'll see over the next couple of years whether Ford has made a wise investment in its EV future.

What if oil is running out?? The current resource replacement ratio for conventional resources is only 16 percent. Only 1 barrel out of every 6 consumed is being replaced with new resources. We have plenty of oil now because of pumping current wells so fast, however, those wells will dry out and there is no way to replace it like air and water.

What’s saving the world from oil decline was unconventional tight “fracked” oil, which accounted for 63% of total U.S. crude oil production in 2019 and 83% of global oil growth from 2009 to 2019. So it’s a big deal if we’ve reached the peak of fracked oil, because that is also the peak of both conventional and unconventional oil and the decline of all oil in the future.

Shale boss says US has passed peak oil | Financial Times: https://archive.ph/tjl6JThe Paek Oil

The Peak Oil Theory originated long ago and has been proven false.
It's typical Malthusian thinking. Doom and gloom.

"At a meeting of a branch of the American Petroleum Institute in 1956, Hubbert presented a paper in which he depicted U.S. petroleum production on a bell curve, starting from zero in the late 19th century, peaking between 1965 and 1975"

We are certainly pumping out more oil today than 1975 LMAO

The Peak Oil Theory originated long ago and has been proven false.
It's typical Malthusian thinking. Doom and gloom.

"At a meeting of a branch of the American Petroleum Institute in 1956, Hubbert presented a paper in which he depicted U.S. petroleum production on a bell curve, starting from zero in the late 19th century, peaking between 1965 and 1975"

We are certainly pumping out more oil today than 1975 LMAO
Have any documents or proof? You don't miss water until your well runs dry. It's a non renewable energy resource with a finite supply. Makes more sense to me than we have to reduce our carbon footprint for the climate LOL! Better put carbon limits on all plant life emitting it.

https://energyskeptic.com/2021/the-end-of-fracked-shale-oil/

Have any documents or proof? You don't miss water until your well runs dry. It's a non renewable energy resource with a finite supply. Makes more sense to me than we have to reduce our carbon footprint for the climate LOL! Better put carbon limits on all plant life emitting it.

I’m a geologist in the energy industry and the peak oil term is really not a good one. While oil is a finite resource the notion that we’ll run out of it is also misunderstood.

The more expensive oil gets, the more of it gets unlocked.

Ford made a bad decision to pursue the EV craze with bland vehicles.

Last edited:

It's pretty easy to look it up but I'll do the work for you.

Since the Hubbert's theory in 1956, I can't count how many times I've read we are running out of oil LMAO.

Here are a couple theories that we will never run out.

Last edited:

I mean, technically it renews, just at a scale that can't support the rate of extraction, if we consider how it got there in the first place. Nothing is "renewable" if you push the timeline out far enough, as eventually the sun will no longer support life on this planet.

Rivers run dry, glaciers melt, wind patterns change, and the devices we use to harvest these things all wear out and require replacement. Furthermore, manufacture of these products is dominated by fossil fuels, mostly coal.

Better put carbon limits on all plant life emitting it
Plants don’t emit carbon (unless they’re burned), they sequester it. Also, the more CO2 that is present, the faster and more robustly the plants grow. And, if CO2 is too low in the atmosphere, the plants starve to death.

Also, what’s 1.5*C warming going to hurt? 10 people die from cold exposure to every 1 that dies from heat exposure…

CO2’s thermal impact coefficient is basically saturated at about 0.05% as well, and that means any additional CO2 in the atmosphere will cease to have any additional affect on heat retention.

It’s been shown several times that 95% of the greenhouse affect is attributable to water vapor ALONE… leaving only 5% impact total for all the other things in our atmosphere. Of which, CO2 makes up 0.04% of that 5%… man’s impact on the atmosphere even today is so infinitesimally small that you have to be a science denier to ignore the data.

Carbon emission control is a price war against the little people because they’re the ones who pay & suffer from those directives.

Last edited:
Plants don’t emit carbon (unless they’re burned), they sequester it. Also, the more CO2 that is present, the faster and more robustly the plants grow. And, if CO2 is too low in the atmosphere, the plants starve to death.

Also, what’s 1.5*C warming going to hurt? 10 people die from cold exposure to every 1 that dies from heat exposure…
1.5C global average is much different than the maxima during summertime in the poles, which are a bigger piece of what matter.

There are also some pretty delicate chemical relationships in the oceans that relatively small shifts in temperature could affect, such as methane hydrate stability, aragonite stability, and pH. There’s evidence that positive feedback loops involving these factors have occurred in past warming cycles.

CO2’s thermal impact coefficient is basically saturated at about 0.05% as well, and that means any additional CO2 in the atmosphere will cease to have any additional affect on heat retention.
I would like to see a peer-reviewed source for this. I think the planet Venus might disagree.

It’s been shown several times that 95% of the greenhouse affect is attributable to water vapor ALONE… leaving only 5% impact total for all the other things in our atmosphere. Of which, CO2 makes up 0.04% of that 5%… man’s impact on the atmosphere even today is so infinitesimally small that you have to be a science denier to ignore the data.
Water vapor cycles through the atmosphere at such a fast rate that its level is more or less constant over time, on average. It factors out if the equation. Without its effect earth would basically not be habitable at all.

Consider the temperature variations on the moon: about -230F to +220F. Without Earth’s atmosphere, that’s about the range of temps it would experience. The total range of possible temperature values is much higher than what we observe because of our atmosphere. Earth sits on a knife edge of temperature ranges which happens to include the freezing point of water. Its climate can therefore be affected to a level which impacts life by that fractional CO2 contribution even when the temperature shift is small in comparison to, say, the total temperature range observed on the moon.

Carbon emission control is a price war against the little people because they’re the ones who pay & suffer from those directives.
There is plenty of hijacking of the science for political, corporate, and other gains. It’s unfortunate.

Oil was predicted to run out in 1899 about 10 years after it was first drilled ,and about every decade since.

Back