Would this work in spark plug boots?

I’m the OP. Instead of trying my luck with Syl-Glyde as a dielectric, I just order a proper one from Amazon with an overnight delivery between 4-8 am. Had it delivered before I woke up. No need to toss and turn whether I used an appropriate stuff

IMG_5600.jpeg
IMG_5599.jpeg

If it interfered with conduction then there was a problem with your terminal clamp. It wasn't making metal-to-metal contact, if the grease kept it apart then it was far too weak.

Beyond that, Dow Corning 111 is not "self leveling". It's a heavy grease that is designed to not sag. RTVs are self leveling when you wish for them to sink into a joint before curing.

You must use different Dow 111. Put a big dab on something and come back in a week and see what it does.

I don't understand why people can't figure out what dielectric means.

I know I took off the battery clamps and cleaned them off using nothing and the problem was solved. It takes awhile for that grease to respond to gravity but it never stops. It took a while for the battery to start showing signs of poor conductivity.

You must use different Dow 111. Put a big dab on something and come back in a week and see what it does.

I know I took off the battery clamps and cleaned them off using nothing and the problem was solved. It takes awhile for that grease to respond to gravity but it never stops. It took a while for the battery to start showing signs of poor conductivity.
Yes silicones always migrate. That’s a hecka different than being a self leveling compound.

And I don’t understand why people can’t understand metal-to-metal conduction, and how air is a dielectric. Another mystery.

I wonder why the dielectric grease shown above says to “Use on bulbs, lamps & connectors”? Where are you supposed to apply it, on the glass envelope?

Don’t laugh. I use MB dielectric grease on my MB boots.

A complete set of coils and plugs for one of my V-12 cars is about $3,000.

So, what’s another $10 to be certain I’ve got the right grease?

Mercedes says 1 gram of grease for each plug, by the way, which is quite a bit.

Nice thing about the one you ordered OP is that you can use it for just about everything.

Between that and that tube of syl glyde, you are set for life. Unless you ever have to pack a bearing or something.

Yes silicones always migrate. That’s a hecka different than being a self leveling compound.

And I don’t understand why people can’t understand metal-to-metal conduction, and how air is a dielectric. Another mystery.
I wonder why the dielectric grease shown above says to “Use on bulbs, lamps & connectors”? Where are you supposed to apply it, on the glass envelope?
It's a corrosion preventer and electrical insulator, it is a mechanical connection that passes current. If it's loose or there is a void then the dielectric does it's job. Or how about a pin that makes an intermittent connection (my taillight) grease would make it more than likely non working. Go ahead and fill it with grease. I prefer WD4 on connectors. A battery post has high current demands. There are proper corrosion preventers for battery post if you have a leaker. Live and learn.

It's a corrosion preventer and electrical insulator, it is a mechanical connection that passes current. If it's loose or there is a void then the dielectric does it's job. Or how about a pin that makes an intermittent connection (my taillight) grease would make it more than likely non working. Go ahead and fill it with grease. I prefer WD4 on connectors. A battery post has high current demands. There are proper corrosion preventers for battery post if you have a leaker. Live and learn.
That makes no sense at all.

You don't need dielectric grease for it's dielectric qualities here. You need something to keep the rubber from fusing to the porcelain plug. Any silicon base grease will work.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

Back