Worth changing spare tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to replace my 6 year old OEM Goodyears on my Ranger. The spare tire is considered to be a "full-size" spare, even though it is slightly smaller than the other tires (235-70R-16 vs 255-70R-16). I'm considering taking one of my old tires and using it as the new spare, so I can have a true full size spare. I don't like the idea of riding around on one smaller tire and possibly screwing up the differential or something else. Of course, I wouldn't use a spare for any extended length of time, but it would still make me feel better knowing they're all the same size. I had to drive home on the spare a few days ago and it (the size difference) made me feel uneasy taking the truck on the highway. What would you do?

Yeah, will it fit?

I know a 31x10.5R15 will fit under my S-10.

I personally wouldnt like the thought of runnign two different size tires on the rear axle if you had a flat back there... And who wants to swap two tires.

Only one way to find out. Why not put the spare on one wheel, and put your OE wheel up to try, and if all is well, then swap a tire over.

I highly doubt the spare is bad, but it makes sense to me from a size basis.

It's about a 30" tire so it should fit just fine. 31" might be close with a factory hitch, but Ford has offered 31" tires on the Ranger with a rear hitch before (FX4, FX4 Level II).

I prefer to have a full size spare. 6 years isn't terrible, but I'd go ahead and throw one of the old tires on there. I have larger than stock tires too and the spare is now full size. The original was 10 years old and I needed a spare, so it was time.

I can't really hang one of my stock wheels from the spare area because my rims don't have the center hole in them that cable goes through. But from a little research online, it looks like a 255 tire will fit.

I had a blowout on the highway last Thursday, which I believe was caused by running over a piece of debris in the road, not tire age. But since the tires are old and I don't really like their performance anyway, I'm replacing all four. The rear driver's side blew, so that's where I have the spare. I'm not driving the truck at all until I get new tires on it, again because of the size difference.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Are you saying the wheel has no center cap you can remove to test this out?

That is correct.

These are the rims I have:

2002_Ranger_rim1.JPG

I'm not sure if the center Ford logo is removable, but even if it is, it's not large enough to fit the end of the spare tire cable through.

Yeah, the ford center cap will pop out.
As for the cable going though, probably not.
I would measure the space in the holder. I would guess that it would fit, but it would be best to just check it.

OK so assuming it will fit, would it be worth swapping on one of the old tires to make a full size, or should I just leave it alone?

Go ahead and swap it. You will have a newer tire that is the correct size. It's worn, but I doubt you will be leaving the black steel wheel on for long if you use it. I think a newer used tire the correct size is better than an older new tire that's now the wrong size. The original spare is nearing the end of its shelf life. Maybe tell the tire shop you want to keep it then sell it on Craigslist or something (disclose how old it is).

I'd probably just leave it alone. If you ever had to drive a long distance on it just make sure its on the front.. a hassle.. but free. my 2002 came with 245/75r16 and if I remember right it didnt fit with the hitch on or was a PITA.

I upsized to 265/75r16 and those REALLY didnt fit.

Well considering the tires I'm replacing are the factory original ones, this "new" spare would actually be the same age as the spare I have now. But having it the same size would be a big plus. I think I'll change it.

You know, you could take one of the new tires before it's mounted and see if it will fit up there. If it fits, then have them mount the best tire they pull on your spare wheel.

Or just get a tape measure and start measuring.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Well considering the tires I'm replacing are the factory original ones, this "new" spare would actually be the same age as the spare I have now. But having it the same size would be a big plus. I think I'll change it.

I like that idea, but you might want to buy the cheapest new tire in that size, and never worry about it again.

IME, dry rot and all doesnt much effect tires underneath. Maybe it will at 20 years, but even after 10, the tires seem to be servicable, and Ive used them.

But it doesnt hurt to put a new tire on there, and just have peace of mind if the vehicle is worth keeping and youre going through the trouble anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back