Woman Loses $20,000,000 Lawsuit Against Michelin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Apparently she thought when she buys tires, manufacturer telepathically increases pressure in tires.
One thing I found absurd in this country are law suits. I always remember that case when that lady sued McDonalds because coffee was hot, and she won. I am not fan of McDonalds and their business model but seriously?

The initial award in that case was excessive (and was later lowered) but the claim was solid. McDonald's had a history of keeping coffee at temps that were above industry norms and simply paying people off when they got burned, which happened pretty regularly. The claimant had severe burns and was hospitalized as a result. The damages she initially claimed against McD before it went to litigation were relatively minor and I believe were her medical expenses and lost wages.

Read up on it, it is a pretty interesting case.

It is indeed worth reading. It wasn't your average hot coffee incident. At the time I remember thinking "It's about time" because I had already discovered Mickey D's coffee was absurdly hot compared to anybody else's brew. I just quit ordering it.

Surprising lack of pre-investigation by her attorney.

A good one would have told her to pound sand. It's always sad when someone gets hurt, but there are consequences for actions (and inaction).

They just went after Michelin because they smelled a settlement...

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Is there an issue with plug repairs???

I think the concept is this: a side-of-the-road plug repair will work to seal the inner liner of the tire, but it can still allow moisture into the steel belts (which are outside of the inner liner). The steel belts, normally completely encased by rubber, will now begin to corrode and you can have a sudden belt separation or failure under stress (high speed, etc). I have plug kits in both of my vehicles for emergencies, but if I had to use one, I'd take the tire to be properly repaired at the earliest opportunity.

I think the patch-plugs are better at "melting" into the tire and hermetically re-sealing the steel belts.

this one was frivolous lawsuit alright. hear the commentary from a lawyer:

Quote:
Part of Michelin’s ultimately-victorious defense relied on arguing that the tire appeared to have been “chronically under inflated” and that a previous puncture had been improperly patched days prior. A properly manufactured tire, however, might have never required any patchwork and would not have been rendered so dangerous due to imperfections in inflation calibration.

LOL!

http://www.femaleinjurylawyer.com/Blog/2...ive-Trial-.aspx

If that's the case, I'd love to know where I can buy a "properly manufactured tire" that will never suffer a puncture! That'd be the bees' knees!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What a concept, taking responsibility for your own actions. This is going to take a lot of explaining for people to understand such a concept.

And what's this with Michelin bringing common sense to a defense in a law suit. And a jury making a judgement based on common sense and the facts.

If people suing were required to pay the other party's legal fees if they lost (like in the UK) our court systems clutter would drop
ten fold

This was supposed to be a reply to the mention of the McDoands hot coffee lawsuit:

Every time I hear this urban myth, I try to correct the story, here goes:
The woman first went back to the McDonalds store and asked them to reimburse her for the emergency room co-pay, about $150 (she actually was seriously burned) McDonalds refused and she sued them in small claims court. McDonalds went ballistic and sent a crew of assorted private detectives and sleazy lawyers to her hometown. They spread unsavory rumors about her personal life and told her employer she was being investigated for serious crimes and got her fired. They filed crank complaints against her with the local police, and on and on. The case was refiled in district court and the multi-million judgement was for McDonalds' venal and illegal behavior. It had nothing to do with the coffee.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/411301/product-liability-case-ends-in-michelin-s-favor

......"

Michelin successfully showed that the tread separation on the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP preceded the accident and was caused by a number of factors, including an improperly repaired puncture days before the accident as well as chronic under inflation of the tire. The jury determined there was no proof of product liability, and Michelin was found faultless on all claims…"

Good, when YOU are NOT taking personal responsibility for maintaining your vehicle in good safe condition by neglecting maintenance YOU are responsible for your own misery. Glad she didn't get ONE RED CENT....

now the Judge should force her to repay the legal fees incurred by Michelin for the frivolous lawsuit brought against them.

+1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back