Woman killed by flying manhole cover in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
In the video Shannow linked, is the guy going around putting a lit match to the edge of the cover?

China there's a spate of people dropping crackers down the manhole covers...plenty of them get killed when the sewar gas launches them.

A flying manhole cover was featured in the movie "Barefoot in the Park."

I also heard a story of New Yorkers being so used to these things that one guy called "heads" when one went flying.

As I understand it this one flew as it was likely dislodged as they have footage from highway cams as this was on RT93 in Boston. So sad for this poor young lady. Sort of a freak thing like a tree falling.

I recall they blow out because of electrical issues too. I remember shortly after Sept 11 a manhole being shot nearly 30' in air at building I was working at. It created quite a scare due to noise of boom and then clank. Fortunately no one hurt on the busy sidewalk on Boylston streeet in Boston.

Boston area for a while had a some zapped/killed dogs from poor electrical manholes. I believe this was fixed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I remember a few years back dogs were getting zapped while out on a walk in the city.

Electrocuted and died on the spot. The electric co. They don't have time to check stuff but they have time to send me monthly finger wagging reports that I use 4 times the power than my neighbors.

I'm willing to bet this manhole thing was gross incompetence. It probably fell off a state truck. The system here is good ole boy, heavily unionized, and criminal.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Electrocuted and died on the spot. The electric co. They don't have time to check stuff but they have time to send me monthly finger wagging reports that I use 4 times the power than my neighbors.

I'm willing to bet this manhole thing was gross incompetence. It probably fell off a state truck. The system here is good ole boy, heavily unionized, and criminal.

Fortunately you never made a mistake in your job. So we have one death by a manway from 10's of millions installed and its negligence...get a grip.

Originally Posted By: Al

Fortunately you never made a mistake in your job. So we have one death by a manway from 10's of millions installed and its negligence...get a grip.

Because there are so many does not automatically rule out incompetence. You sound like some management MBA type, not a serious engineer. We'll see when the report comes out what the real deal is. I live here and know these people.

Because there are so many does not automatically rule out incompetence. You sound like some management MBA type, not a serious engineer. We'll see when the report comes out what the real deal is. I live here and know these people.

Strange that you would immediately jump right to this conclusion:

I'm willing to bet this manhole thing was gross incompetence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

Strange that you would immediately jump right to this conclusion:

I'm willing to bet this manhole thing was gross incompetence.

turtle,you're hilarious !you "know these people".the criminal, union types. lol.

whenever someone's opinion does not concur with yours, you get goofy, and fabricate things about others here -- now, it's al.it's your pattern, and happens in every thread in which you participate.and, you cozy up with the few that share your opinion.the most funny and predictable thing is that you always rub some the wrong way in these threads, and keep coming back for more.
you just don't have the chops to spar with most here.perhaps, you should take on 'prone, or engineer20 -- likely your debate "equals".

our group LOVES your posts, and would like you to post more often.thank you, again, for more laughs, and have a good evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back