WM Everstart Platinum AGM Batteries

I agree... ^^^^^^

And I knew the 12.2 was the initial result you had.

Still not an expected finding for a AGM battery if it was fresh. I got a AGM battery from AZ and it was 12.82 right off the shelf... The intial charge on that battery was a result I was expecting and glad to see.

That battery in your case had to have been sitting around for quite some time. . Definitely a very good action you took charging that battery up.

I would have passed on a battery showing 12.2V.

The Mexican-made Value Group 65 batteries I got the other day were 12.8V when I got them home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah me too... Not an expected finding in my opinion.

The Clarios aka formerly JC battery I got from AZ was 12.82.

Sucks about EP having some batteries made elsewhere. Still wonder if that is a specific circumstance with a certain store. Or.... Is the facility in Pennsylvania cutting production greatly. Sure hope not.

RK had the Exide AGM batteries for $129.99 at one time... Not too shabby. Last price I saw the batteries were at $134.99. That was about two years ago though.

RK has very decent everyday prices on the oils they sell there.

I’ve always used everstart maxx batteries from Walmart. I upgraded my group 51 to a 24f in my 17 accord and got a maxx for my wife’s 15 Altima. Was around $90 a piece. Haven’t seen the agm ones yet

I found this FAQ in the SAM's club website:unsure:, I believe Duracell's are made by East Penn as well.

"How Can I Tell the Manufacturer Date of a Duracell Automotive Battery - Group Size 48 (H6)?​

It's actually less useful to know the exact physical age a battery than to know about its service life and the state of health of the battery. That's why the codes stamped on Duracell batteries are not self-explanatory regarding the age of the battery. In fact, it's not important to know the date that the battery was produced but rather the time when it began to be used in the vehicle, because that's when the starter battery is loaded and the electrochemical wear process begins.

The life of an automotive battery really depends more on the number of discharge and charge cycles, as well as the depth of discharge, than it does the battery's physical age."

I assume this is in CA? I am surprised the Walmarts on the east coast don't have AGM batteries since EP makes AGM batteries and supplies Walmart batteries at least on east coast.

The one place that AGM would appear to be superior is boats where they often get pounded by waves. The AGM physical construction is significantly stronger than a normal flooded cell battery and should be able to take the pounding better.

I found this FAQ in the SAM's club website:unsure:, I believe Duracell's are made by East Penn as well.

"How Can I Tell the Manufacturer Date of a Duracell Automotive Battery - Group Size 48 (H6)?​

It's actually less useful to know the exact physical age a battery than to know about its service life and the state of health of the battery. That's why the codes stamped on Duracell batteries are not self-explanatory regarding the age of the battery. In fact, it's not important to know the date that the battery was produced but rather the time when it began to be used in the vehicle, because that's when the starter battery is loaded and the electrochemical wear process begins.

The life of an automotive battery really depends more on the number of discharge and charge cycles, as well as the depth of discharge, than it does the battery's physical age."

Batteries sitting on the shelf do self discharge and sulfate. So I think getting a fresh battery is better than one that has been sitting around collecting dust.

But whether a battery is fresh or 1 month old probably does not matter much.

Just for the heck of it, I looked up the battery size for both my cars. Both cars use AGM batteries “H7”.
Not having bought batteries on a long time, I’mnot familiar with the term “H7”. Above post used the term “H6”, Group 48. I understand group numbers but “H” numbers sound like headlight bulbs. 😱😤😫

What is the group number for “H7”?

Just for the heck of it, I looked up the battery size for both my cars. Both cars use AGM batteries “H7”.
Not having bought batteries on a long time, I’mnot familiar with the term “H7”. Above post used the term “H6”, Group 48. I understand group numbers but “H” numbers sound like headlight bulbs. 😱😤😫

What is the group number for “H7”?
Yeah I was not aware of H numbers either till recently and why the dual numbering????? I noticed that the H batteries cost slightly more as well

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah me too... Not an expected finding in my opinion.

The Clarios aka formerly JC battery I got from AZ was 12.82.

Sucks about EP having some batteries made elsewhere. Still wonder if that is a specific circumstance with a certain store. Or.... Is the facility in Pennsylvania cutting production greatly. Sure hope not.

TBH, all of the big battery makers buy from and sell to each other to some degree. To be clear, a battery needs at least 12.4V in order to retain sufficient cranking abilities in freezing temperatures. 12.2V is PROBABLY indicative that the battery sat for months after production, thus losing charge over time. Could be that it was not sufficiently charged from the factory, but I highly doubt that as QA tests voltage before units go out the door from the factory. Also- a 12.2V battery may be COMPLETELY fine and live a nice long life once brought back to and maintained at the proper voltage levels. I work for one of the big manufacturers and personally want to see at least 12.6V when I buy batteries. I know what goes on in our factories, but cannot speak for the others....

One problem is this idea of East Penn buying batteries from someone else....in this situation.

That battery JhZR2 had seen was with him being located in NJ.... Pennsylvania is on the border of New Jersey... I have to check and see what battery it was... But if it was a very common BCI numbered battery.... Then it is hard to understand East Penn buying batteries from some other manufacturer south of the US border and bringing them 2k miles Northeast to NJ... When East Penn is less than ohh 150-200 miles from JhZR2 location.

Just checked and a group 65 is a fairly commonly used BCI numbered battery.... Highly, highly doubt East Penn would have need to buy a battery made south of the border and have to transport it over 2k miles back northeast... Makes zero and I mean zero sense to do that... If we were talking about a very atypical BCI numbered battery then I could understand that. Not the case here...

If a battery is at 12.2 but it has a relatively new build date and no manufacturer defects... Then yes it can be restored and charged up to perform very well.

Howevet if a battery sits uncharged and collecting dust for say 6,7 8,9,10 months... Flooded batteries lose 5-12 percent of static charge per month. Permanent damage and lose of reserve capacity is quite likely with a flooded battery. Even if one actually truly charges that battery to rhe highest true 100 percent charge it can attain given that battery's degraded condition... A flooded battery will still have a permanent loss of capacity. 12.2 if the battery has been stored in average temps of 70-75°F is not a good finding. And that combined with a old manufacturer build date.... Would not be a good idea to purchase that particular battery. It will not be able to be repaired or get back lost capacity with a charge applied to it

Last edited:
Transportation costs of moving batteries is interesting. I’m seeing Mexican made batteries up in Canada being sold at Walmart. Once the batteries are loaded into a 40 ft trailer and hooked up, they can be moved anywhere for cheap. Same thing with Korean made batteries. Get them into a 40 ft shipping container a put them on water, they can go anywhere for surprisingly little money. A 40 ft container can hold 72,000 lbs. ( not sure if that is net or gross including the tare weight.)

Last edited:
Back