WIX quality? Can't we have anything?

So, on my GM 3.6 I usually run the ACDelco PF63e. But on a recent "trip" to RA, I spent a few extra bucks and bought a Wix 10255. Both have the correct bypass valve pressure setting but Wix boasted a lower micron rating for a high flow filter. I'm posting pics of both. I don't understand this--I am buying the Wix because I am worried about micron sized contaminants and there are shards in the filter. The oily substance on my finger is from the inside of the filter, you know the part where the "Clean" oil is supposed to come out (pic 2). I didn't post the results from the AC Delco but there was just oil. No more.

pic 1.jpg
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 3.jpgpic 1.jpgpic 2.jpg

All made in Mexico or just some of them? I just bought one yesterday at Farm and Fleet and it's made in US. Number 57502 for my 3.5 Ecoboost.

I started wiping filter threads with a rag when I found similar debris in an AC Delco filter 15 years ago or more. At least once, I found a long, thin curl of metal still stuck in the threads. Those would have been the Champion-made PF59 at the time.

Yikes I have a wix regular filter on my 2.slow and never looked, its gained 9,000 miles , haven't changed the oil, I hope it don't blow it up!

Well if the flakes are on the threads, they are not going to go into the clean oil stream, they will either stay in the threads or go to the dirty oil stream. Not trying to defend Wix, but at least there wasn't any risk to engine bearings.

So do we stop buying Wix filters completely or just the Wix filters made in Mexico? o_O
I always wipe down the threads of any threaded filter. There's usually a small oil deposit on the paper towel from any filter.
I don't lose sleep over it.

So, on my GM 3.6 I usually run the ACDelco PF63e. But on a recent "trip" to RA, I spent a few extra bucks and bought a Wix 10255. Both have the correct bypass valve pressure setting but Wix boasted a lower micron rating for a high flow filter. I'm posting pics of both. I don't understand this--I am buying the Wix because I am worried about micron sized contaminants and there are shards in the filter. The oily substance on my finger is from the inside of the filter, you know the part where the "Clean" oil is supposed to come out (pic 2). I didn't post the results from the AC Delco but there was just oil. No more.

View attachment 63046View attachment 63046View attachment 63047View attachment 63048View attachment 63048View attachment 63046View attachment 63047
Wix is still considered to be the best oil filters on the market. I use Napa Platinums on everything that I own and have for years. Made by Wix.

I always wipe the threads with a blue towel. Every brand of filter I've wiped leaves some mark on the towel.
I hold the towel on the threads and spin the filter in reverse. I also check the threads again as a rough thread can grab bits of the blue towel.

Wix is still considered to be the best oil filters on the market.
Why? It's all subjective, except for measured parameters like efficiency, holding capacity, media strength, delta-p vs flow, etc ... those matter more than all the subjectivity.

Last edited:
I always wipe the threads with a blue towel. Every brand of filter I've wiped leaves some mark on the towel.
I hold the towel on the threads and spin the filter in reverse. I also check the threads again as a rough thread can grab bits of the blue towel.
This. I was noticing dark marks when wiping threads on new oil filters 20 years ago, and the brand didn't matter. I suspect it might be from cutting oil used when the factory formed the threads. Most cutting oils are dark.

Good point about the debris. I often wipe the thread, but that isn't cleaning thoroughly by any means. The particles of metal, shards, etc, I think are in all of them. The best maybe being the Denso or other covered filters. Where they seem to CARE. The thread needs to be washed after it is cut or formed, it is very hard to clean it properly once assembled. You can't spray it and blow with compressed air, it will go in the filter. Maybe put some newspaper in the hole and try and spray and air blast it. That adds more possibilities though. Or just ignore, install and be happy.

Back