Wix 51714: Giganto Filter That Fits Fords!

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
That's right: 3/4-16, 2.834 OD Gasket, 2.462 ID Gasket. It has a 16 PSID bypass (instead of the standard Ford 8-11). Slightly shorter than a Wix 51773, but it more than makes up for it in diameter!

See it here: Wix 51714

If you have a Ford Focus and are sick of the puny stock-size filters, take a look at the Wix 51214, which is made for Jaguars, but perfectly matches the gasket size and bypass PSID of the stock Focus filter, but it is BIGGER.

I like having my new Wix Catalog!
fruit.gif

Big O Dave: mind doing a filter lookup for me with your new catalog? I currenlty run a WIX 51334 - can you find something larger with same gasket & PSID specs? I know the 51344 is larger, but the gasket isn't an exact match.
thanks,
51334:
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
? I know the 51344 is larger, but the gasket isn't an exact match.
thanks,

51334:
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

51344:
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.490 2.200 0.148

Surfstar, that was my concern too, but I put a 51334 and a 51344 side by side. The gaskets measured exactly the same for both filters for the ones I had. Even the thickness was the same. About 0.233 for both.

If your Focus uses a FL2005S filter then this is not a proper substitute. The DOHC 2.0s use a filter with two ADBVs, hence the special filter.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
Big O Dave: mind doing a filter lookup for me with your new catalog? I currenlty run a WIX 51334 - can you find something larger with same gasket & PSID specs? I know the 51344 is larger, but the gasket isn't an exact match.
thanks,
51334:
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Check out the 51568. It has the exact same gasket size (EXCEPT the gasket thickness, which is .148) and an ADBV, but instead of the stock 8-11 PSID bypass valve, it has a 16 PSID valve. So, you have to decide whether or not your engine can tolerate the higher PSID. I have been told that a higher PSID than the engine designer intended may blow out or damage certain engine seals. Having said that, I'm not sure that a 8 PSID increase is enough to cause problems. Maybe some of the more expert BITOGers know.

As far as filter size goes, the 51568's height is 4.072" and it is 3.234" in diameter. That is almost an inch taller and about the same width as the 51334.

Hope this helps!

I couldn't contain my curiosity (nor control my patience) so I went over to NAPA and bought a NAPA Gold 1714, which is (of course) simply a NAPA-branded 51714 and paid twice as much for it as I would have if I would have ordered from www.filter1.com or www.fleetfilter.com... but I HAD to, I just HAD to see the stupendous 51714 in real life...

...and I have not been disappointed! Yes, it is slightly shorter than a 51773, but its sheer physical presence is truly awe inspiring; well, as much as an oil filter that fits where a Motorcraft FL-1a (Wix 51515) fits, can inspire awe. It's heavy, weighing in at 31oz., compared to a mere 18.5oz. for a 51773. According to an unnamed source at Wix (Pete
grin.gif
), it has a LOT more filtering area than a 51773.

And we all assume that the 51773 has a LOT more filtering area than a 51515, which in itself is a large filter.

I like BIG filters. I do, because they can hold more contaminants while still flowing well, compared to smaller filters. Of course, some BITOGers have cut open larger case filters only to find a filtering element no larger than a smaller case filter, but I'm sure that the 51714 is the real deal. It's a thing of beauty to a person who craves over-built, heavy-duty stuff.

fruit.gif

Dave, you need to get a real life son. These orgazmatic outbursts over a measly oil filter are embarassing the rest of us. What does your signifigent other think (maybe she sees an opportunity to jump yer bones
blush.gif
)? Calm down !!!!
fruit.gif

Now that your calmed down I MUST warn you that that filter may appear to fit on your Ford but check the clearance between the top of the gasket and the top of the ridge that holds the gasket in place. Also remember, when you do the final tightening, it's from the time the gasket first CONTACTS the mounting base that you make that extra turn.

Now take that silly grin offen yer face and go eat.

Petey, there is a close relationship between the size of a man's filter and the size of his...
shocked.gif

My wife says there is an inversely proportional relationship, if you complete the above sentence with the word "brain."

I do have to admit that after I scored the 51714, I did go into my wife's office and interrupt her business phone call so she could compare the weight of the 51714 and the 51773. She handed the filters back to me after hefting them, and mouthed the word "nice" to humor me, and then went back to her call.

So, I went into my buddy's office (he drives a Miata) and showed him the filters and he was astounded... he said he wouldn't be able to close his hood with one of those under there.

And, yes, I also run a business of my own, but it is only so I can afford my oil and filters.
grin.gif

(and I'll pay close attention to the gasket fit you mentioned above
cheers.gif
)

Well, Dave ...you know how Ford responded to the Chevy Suburban when the magazine said (I forget which ..but Chevy latched on to it for a commecial) that they didn't have anything to compare it to since it was in a class by itself?? Ford just built a bigger SUV.

So I don't mean to rain on your parade/party here ..but (wondering if this is really the right time for such a discussion ..weighing appropriate social decorum with our unvarnished quest for truth) ..

..but Baldwin appears to hold the top slot in the 3/4-16 thread. It has a girth about the same as the vererable 51714 ..and a length that even exceeds the lang 51773
shocked.gif

PART NUMBER: BT238
Descriptions : Microlite Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Contains : Anti-Drainback Valve
20 PSI By-Pass Valve
Fits : Kubota, Thomas Equipment
Replaces : Kubota 70000-15451
Thread : 3/4-16
O.D. : 4 1/4 (108.0)
Length : 7 11/32 (186.5)
I.Gskt : G381-A

-

Sorry Gary, but I can beat you there
wink.gif

Donaldson P551603, 3/4-16 thread, 4.26" diameter, 7.37" (187.2mm) long, and its hanging off the block of my old Fiat 550 tractor.
grin.gif

Lube Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 4.26
B - Thread Size (Inches): 3/4-16
C - Length (Inches): 7.37
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.83
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.5
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 30
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: FIAT 71909101, IVECO
Primary Application 2: 01901603, HESSTON

Yeah, I scoped out the Donaldson too ..(just got back from the site after watching some TV)...but I had to use the Purolator x-ref # L44796

Height: 7.34
Type of Filter: Spin-on
Threads: 3/4-16

Thread Pitch: UNF-2B
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 28-30
O.D.: 4.25

Good! You get to be the party pooper
tongue.gif

WELL!!
blush.gif

Somehow I knew that you guys would arrive in this thread, and I also knew that when you did, you'd bring even LARGER filters along with you. So, my plan was to post about the biggest one I could find, knowing that someone else would ferret out even BIGGER ones, and then I'd have my source for the BIGGEST possible filter for my Fords.

Thank you, Gary and Rick, for your research!
wink.gif

I can hardly wait to get a BT238 and a Donaldson P551603, weigh them and photograph them next to a FL1a, a 51773 and a 51714.

Size DOES matter!
grin.gif

P.S. 427, even though it's a Lamborqhini tractor, that's good enough for me!

I can see it now......

This month on BITOG-TV

BATTLE OF THE BIG BOYS!!!!

Showdown match between Wix 51714, Baldwin BT238, and Donaldson P551603!!

Size DOES matter!!!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back