WIX 51372 ADBV Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ADBV has a spec/tolerance just like any other part. I believe these get tested under a pretty low back pressure with "hot" motor oil. Even then they are permitted to leak at a defined leakage rate (cc per hour, or cc per min). They can leak anywhere from 10-200cc/min from what I've read in some SAE J806 oil filter specs online. Do the math and you can see how much hot fluid can drain in that amount of time.

The ADBV can deform over time, too. We're talking about some basic molded NBR parts here -- not high-tech rocket science. Some of the premium filters might have silicone. If you look up the temp range of regular NBR, those ADBV parts will not hold their shape long after being blasted open with hot motor oil for a while. Silicone does much better (again, look at the eff temp range of the material).

Call Wix and see if they have a "spec" for ADBV leak.

Last edited:
My .02 - I had a 51372 on my car last year and it had a mild startup rattle first thing in the morning. The same oil with MC FL820S did not rattle, neither does the Fram XG2 I just put on this weekend.

Maybe there was a bad batch of these filters? I bought mine in the fall of 2015, but don't have a date code.

Gentlemen - Thanks for the excellent feedback. I am convinced the filter needs to be tested separately from the engine. When tested and compared to the specifications, there may not be a filter issue.

DudeNiceRide - At 10-200cc/min, it would not take long to drain/leak 4 oz of oil. Wix may very well have a leak down specification. I think that is a good reason to call WIX.

In any event, the Ranger does not normally demonstrate startup rattle. So I will likely use up the filters.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
...In any event, the Ranger does not normally demonstrate startup rattle. So I will likely use up the filters.
grin.gif

Good call. While perhaps not entirely pleased with your findings, practically speaking, no start up rattle, no major deal 'imo'. And even a start up rattle is hardly an engine death experience, but irritating.

Slightly OT, when I check for ADBV function upon filer removal, I just leave it base down to drain for a day or two. Then later I go back open some inlet holes with some Q Tips and I've generally gotten a significant amount of used oil out later before cutting the filter. Z06 did a more controlled but similar test design actually measuring the amount of oil, and he posted it here.

Sayjac, ZeeOSix - Thanks.

Since I have missed the opportunity for the viscosity of hot oil, do you have a suggestion for a readily available low viscosity substitute I could use. MMO comes to mind but there may be something better?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2405176/?#Post2405176
At room temperature the MMO would be thinner than the 5W30 I used and more representative of the hot oil condition.
Or maybe a 0W20 or 5W20?
21.gif

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back