WIX 51040 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
this filter came off of a 97 chevy tahoe, with a 350 v8. it was ran for about 6-7000 miles with super tech 5w30. it looks like the ADBV did a very good job.....

100_4064.jpg

100_4063.jpg

100_4065.jpg

im kinda curious as to why this filter went more miles and looks much better then the 1 i took off of my grand prix last time...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=126549&Number=1799896

Isn't the 51040 for your Grand Prix? This should be a 51060 if I know my 13/16-16 thread engines.

..but, oddly, I liked the looks of your 51040 compared to this filter. I don't think the waves are due to any defects.

both were the 51040 (pf47 equivalent.) my neighbors tahoe calls for a 51036 (pf52 equivalent) but since the only difference is a couple inches, and i offered it to her for free (just so i could see if this happens on her vehicle), she had no issues with me using it.

Last edited:
Interesting, doesn't that use the 1036? I know I always use the 1036 in place of the 1040 if I have room.

After reading the rest of the posts, interesting. Was the use of the 1040 just to see if it can be done, or because you had it on hand and didn't want to buy the 1036, or both?

Looks like the GP oil just had more moisture in it at some point.
That will wave the pleats.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Looks like the GP oil just had more moisture in it at some point.
That will wave the pleats.

unfortunately i think you're right. every filter i take off of my grand prix has that issue.

Originally Posted By: defektes
every wix I have cut open has wavy pleats.

do you ever post pics of those?? the ones i take off my grand prix are by far the worst ive ever seen....

That's the filter I use. One of the few things GM did smart was put/use the same filter across the board for the most part.

How hard is cutting open a filter? Is it doable with just a vice and a hacksaw cutting right below the gasket?

I'd like to do it but don't want to deal with the hassle (and expense) of ordering special tools off the net.

thanks

when i started all i had was a pair of gloves, and a hacksaw.... if i would have had a vice that would have been awesome! now i use that same set of gloves and a dremel tool with a cutting wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back