Wireless router connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a linksys WRT54GS wireless router at home. It had been working perfectly and I could lock my system, everything connected fine. My wife deleted a bunch of old data off of the old PC my 2YO now uses to play educational games that run on the PC. Now it will not connect to the internet. The unit is running windows XP. I still want the internet connection so she can go to Kneebouncers and some other sites friends have sent us for our toddler.

This is what I have found by going to Cisco, I followed these instructions. http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=4628

My IP address says NO. What does that mean?

I followed the instructions for releasing or renewing the IP address and nothing. http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=94&vw=1&articleid=4651

It is receiving packets but not transmitting any thus no internet connection. My laptop connects fine and is working properly, only the PC my daugther uses that is having a problem. How do I fix it?

FYI I will completely miss the correct answer at least 3 or 4 times before it sinks in.
33.gif

I am using what ever comes on the disc I used when I installed it. This is not my strongest area.

Short answer I have no idea.

1st thing to investigate when trouble shooting a router is to see if the same problem occurs if you do not use it, i.e. connecting a computer directly to a modem, and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem goes away, then it is the modem or line issue and not a router issue.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
1st thing to investigate when trouble shooting a router is to see if the same problem occurs if you do not use it, i.e. connecting a computer directly to a modem, and see if the problem goes away.

If the problem goes away, then it is the modem or line issue and not a router issue.

Good point... if you connect the PC directly to the ports on the router with an ethernet cable that would bypass the wireless.

Is the computer connected directly (wired) or wirelessly to the router? If your laptop works correctly, I'm thinking it has something to do with the configuration on the desktop.

It's not wired, this is all wireless. It appears to be the PC. My laptop is connecting perfectly (using it now) while my wife is on her PC which is wired.

When I have time I will work on it further.

When I got my LinkSys wireless router, the disk did not work when I tried to install it. As a result I just kept it stock. Ididn't change the password or anything.

The other day I got brave and went on-line..put in the router manufacturer IP and managed to change the password and also got rid of the Wireless feature. I'm hardwired only.

I was not able though to make a user name though.

Question: Is there a security issue not having a User Name? How do I create one? Is my network relatively secure with the information I have given. Running Ubuntu 10.4 (I think)

Thanks
Al

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
When I got my LinkSys wireless router, the disk did not work when I tried to install it. As a result I just kept it stock. Ididn't change the password or anything.

The other day I got brave and went on-line..put in the router manufacturer IP and managed to change the password and also got rid of the Wireless feature. I'm hardwired only.

I was not able though to make a user name though.

Question: Is there a security issue not having a User Name? How do I create one? Is my network relatively secure with the information I have given. Running Ubuntu 10.4 (I think)

Thanks
Al

If you dont use a user name that is ok, if you want to go back, just hit the reset button for 10 seconds and it goes back to admin/admin.

what type of wireless card is this xp running desktop using? linksys? belkin? netgear?

Originally Posted By: QuadDriver

what type of wireless card is this xp running desktop using? linksys? belkin? netgear?

LOL..I have no idea. All I know is I have a duel core Celeron E3300. My router is configured wired only and is Linksys WRT54GS2

Sorry..the world is passing me by.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
It's not wired, this is all wireless. It appears to be the PC. My laptop is connecting perfectly (using it now) while my wife is on her PC which is wired.

When I have time I will work on it further.

I wonder if she accidentally deleted something important?

Open an command prompt and type SFC /scannow

Also make sure you are running the most recent Service Pack.

Uninstalling and re-installing the wireless card may also fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back